iTunes Podcast Directory Is Broken

  • GLSmyth
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2005
      Some have followed my months long "discussion" with the iTunes robot,
      who now refers to me as "David" (http://eclecticmix.com/iTunes.htm).

      Well, I know why they have not added me to the Music category, and
      wouldn't be able to even if they wanted.

      Apparently, Apple never thought that there would ever be more than
      1,500 podcasts in a category and set aside that many "slots" for each
      category. Now that the slots have been filled, no more can be added.
      The Music category is not the only one, and I wrote about this on my
      blog at http://www.bloglines.com/blog/EclecticMix?id=12.

      As one who was a database administrator for over a dozen years, I find
      it hard to imagine this scenario actually occurring (I am sure I would
      have been given my walking papers had something like this occurred),
      but feel free to go to the categories I mention in the blog and see
      for yourself.

      Heck, Microsoft Access can hold more than 1,500 entries in its tables,
      so if they contact me I can help them move to a more robust database. <g>

      Cheers -

      george
      http://EclecticMix.com
    • Andy Armstrong
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2005
        On 2 Dec 2005, at 01:51, GLSmyth wrote:
        > As one who was a database administrator for over a dozen years, I find
        > it hard to imagine this scenario actually occurring (I am sure I would
        > have been given my walking papers had something like this occurred),
        > but feel free to go to the categories I mention in the blog and see
        > for yourself.

        Yes, that's absolutely ridiculous. It may be that the limit is in the
        iTunes client but even so it's appallingly shoddy programming if it's
        true.

        --
        Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
      • Judefan
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2005
          I have heard about this several places but has Apple ever owned to and
          proposed a solution to this problem? Guess they underestimated
          podcasting in a big way!

          --
          P.D. Love
          The LoveHouse Radio Podcast