Re: [podcasters] Podcast Feed Tracker for Apache

  • robert
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
      From Blackburn's Bombast:
      I'm not sure it will compete with feedburner but Todd wanted this
      alternative, so here it is:

      Need to do four things to use it:

      1) install the module - This is simply a matter of copying the shared
      library
      file libmod_clicktrack.so into the, typically, /usr/lib/apache/modules
      direction and then reloading apache 'apache2ctl -k restart'.

      2) drop a .htaccess text file into the directory with your mp3 files
      containing the following substituting your own database login info:

      ModuleTrackPattern "*.mp3|*.ogg"
      ModuleDSNString "username:passw0rd@localhost/clicktrack:3306"

      3) run the following sql on your MySQL database:

      CREATE TABLE `log` (
      `id` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
      `uri` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
      `date` timestamp NULL default CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,
      `ip` varchar(15) NOT NULL default '',
      `data` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
      PRIMARY KEY (`id`),
      KEY `ua` (`ip`),
      KEY `uri` (`uri`)
      );

      4) Write some PHP or other scripting code to retrieve the data. For
      example:

      $sql = "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM log WHERE uri LIKE '%.mp3'";
      $rs = $db->Execute($sql);
      print("Total MP3s Served: ". $rs->fields[0]);

      I am not sure that the average podcaster will have any clue on how to
      do this.

      More and more podcasters are coming into podcasting that are not Uber
      Tech Geeks.

      Many I have talked to are hard pressed to understand how to do
      the .htaccess.

      At least at this point this seems very limited to just a few hand
      fulls of Uber Geeks.

      Rob W
      podCast411

      On Dec 1, 2005, at 4:49 AM, Andy Armstrong wrote:

      > On 1 Dec 2005, at 08:36, Stephen Eley wrote:
      >> Maybe I'm just dense, or it's way too late at night, but I'm a little
      >> confused. What exactly is this module supposed to do? I gather it's
      >> something about logging hits on MP3 or other file types, but that's
      >> not even vaguely similar to what Feedburner does and doesn't seem
      >> related to RSS.
      >>
      >> A quick sentence on the lines of "This is an Apache module to
      >> _______"
      >> would do much to enlighten me and set my universe at peace.
      >
      > Yeah, same confusion here. I think it's the same thing I'm doing by
      > piping my Apache logs through a little Perl script that updates a
      > MySQL database. As a result I have an RSS feed that updates when
      > there's a new referrer to my site (for example).
      >
      > I can't quite understand why this needs to be a module. Apart from
      > anything else it's an Apache 2 module and the majority of sites are
      > still using Apache 1.3.
      >
      > --
      > Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

      > ~-->
      > Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/2jUsvC/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/26EolB/TM

    • Andy Armstrong
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
        On 1 Dec 2005, at 16:31, robert wrote:
        > From Blackburn's Bombast:
        > I'm not sure it will compete with feedburner but Todd wanted this
        > alternative, so here it is:
        [snip]

        Yes, I read it. I just don't see how in any sense it's an alternative
        to feedburner :)

        Can anyone tell me what it does apart from logging downloads for
        certain file types to a database?

        --
        Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
      • Andy Armstrong
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
          On 1 Dec 2005, at 06:59, Geek wrote:
          > When your at the site tell Chris thank you, he will be putting the
          > project
          > on sourceforge. He is looking for comments and suggestions

          I've taken a look at Chris' code now. Unless I'm missing something
          fundamental it just seems to reproduce functionality that's already
          provided by mod_log_mysql[1]. Given that mod_log_mysql is better
          established there's probably more chance of
          getting it installed on your server.

          Secondly a quick examination of the code reveals what I think is a
          SQL injection bug - which would potentially allow an attacker to
          execute arbitrary SQL against your database. I've reported that to
          Chris - it shouldn't be hard for him to fix.

          [1] http://lyxus.net/bkg

          --
          Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
        • Andy Armstrong
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
            On 2 Dec 2005, at 15:20, Andy Armstrong wrote:
            > Secondly a quick examination of the code reveals what I think is a
            > SQL injection bug - which would potentially allow an attacker to
            > execute arbitrary SQL against your database. I've reported that to
            > Chris - it shouldn't be hard for him to fix.

            Oh, and a possible buffer overrun - also reported to Chris :)

            --
            Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
          • Kevin Devin
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
              I haven't looked at the code... and since it's in C, there's not likely a
              chance that I'd know what I was looking at anyway. :-)

              But I'm curious... how does collecting the DL info for media files differ
              in this incarnation that what is provided in the RAW Log files? The only
              difference that I can immediately see is that the media types are already
              filtered out versus having to run Podstats (or something similar) to filter
              those out.

              It would seem to me, that typical podcasters, who might be using an
              Apache-based hosting service, are going to have easier access to RAW log
              files versus requesting a module be installed on the box.

              And finally... pardon my ignorance, but in a shared hosting environment, how
              will the use of this module work? if it's pumping its data to a single
              database/table... won't that essentially record the info for ALL who are
              hosted on that box?

              -KHD

              --
              Kevin H. Devin
              In the Trenches podcast

            • Andy Armstrong
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
                On 2 Dec 2005, at 17:57, Kevin Devin wrote:
                > I haven't looked at the code... and since it's in C, there's not
                > likely a
                > chance that I'd know what I was looking at anyway. :-)
                >
                > But I'm curious... how does collecting the DL info for media files
                > differ
                > in this incarnation that what is provided in the RAW Log files?
                > The only
                > difference that I can immediately see is that the media types are
                > already
                > filtered out versus having to run Podstats (or something similar)
                > to filter
                > those out.

                I've spoken to Chris about it and you're right - that's what it does.
                As I mentioned it also has a couple of security issues which he's
                fixing. I do the same thing by configuring my server to pipe the log
                output through a little Perl script that catches items of interest
                and logs them to a MySQL database. You could also use mod_log_mysql
                to log everything to a MySQL database and then run queries against that.

                > It would seem to me, that typical podcasters, who might be using an
                > Apache-based hosting service, are going to have easier access to
                > RAW log
                > files versus requesting a module be installed on the box.
                >
                > And finally... pardon my ignorance, but in a shared hosting
                > environment, how
                > will the use of this module work? if it's pumping its data to a
                > single
                > database/table... won't that essentially record the info for ALL
                > who are
                > hosted on that box?

                It's configured using a .htaccess file so that's per-directory
                configuration.

                --
                Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
              • Geek
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
                  Kevin

                  Not being a programmer these are good points. He does not particpate in this
                  list so comments to his website probably would garner feedback..

                  Todd..

                  _____

                  I haven't looked at the code... and since it's in C, there's not likely a
                  chance that I'd know what I was looking at anyway. :-)

                  But I'm curious... how does collecting the DL info for media files differ
                  in this incarnation that what is provided in the RAW Log files? The only
                  difference that I can immediately see is that the media types are already
                  filtered out versus having to run Podstats (or something similar) to filter
                  those out.

                  It would seem to me, that typical podcasters, who might be using an
                  Apache-based hosting service, are going to have easier access to RAW log
                  files versus requesting a module be installed on the box.

                  And finally... pardon my ignorance, but in a shared hosting environment, how
                  will the use of this module work? if it's pumping its data to a single
                  database/table... won't that essentially record the info for ALL who are
                  hosted on that box?

                  -KHD

                  On 12/2/05, Andy Armstrong <andy@...> wrote:

                  > On 1 Dec 2005, at 16:31, robert wrote:
                  > > From Blackburn's Bombast:
                  > > I'm not sure it will compete with feedburner but Todd wanted this
                  > > alternative, so here it is:
                  > [snip]
                  >
                  > Yes, I read it. I just don't see how in any sense it's an alternative
                  > to feedburner :)
                  >
                  > Can anyone tell me what it does apart from logging downloads for
                  > certain file types to a database?
                  >
                  > --
                  > Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

                  cation+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&c=2&s=77&.sig
                  =ozdeqSR9iHuNl4GM8mtT5w>
                  &k=Communication+and+networking&w1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Wireless+
                  communication+and+networking&c=2&s=77&.sig=ozdeqSR9iHuNl4GM8mtT5w> Wireless
                  > communication and networking<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                  1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&c=2&
                  s=77&.sig=C2VMYm3EZ13VjeE5NNaKDg>
                  &k=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w1=Communication+and+networking&w2=
                  Wireless+communication+and+networking&c=2&s=77&.sig=C2VMYm3EZ13VjeE5NNaKDg>

                  m?subject=Unsubscribe>

                  --
                  Kevin H. Devin
                  In the Trenches podcast