Re: [podcasters] Podcast archives and redistribution

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
      On 12/1/05, perryc <perryc@...> wrote:

      > If also occured to me that peer to peer networks (gnutella etc) would be a great medium to
      > make archive material available without requiring additional storage or bandwidth for the
      > creators. I know bittorrent distribution has been discussed voluminously on this group but
      > what about other direct sharing of the actual mp3 files? If one were to make available his
      > or her archives, what is the concensus? Does this "work" with the creative commons
      > license if it is a non-commercial redistribution?

      Absolutely. In fact this is pretty much the goal that Creative
      Commons was designed to enable.

      As another, possible easier alternative, have you considered http://archive.org?

      > Ideally, one would seek permission from
      > the podcaster prior to doing this but often times this may be problematic. I would imagine
      > that Podshow, for instance, would have a problem with this. And we know the RIAA would
      > be against it on principal--but they are against anything they can't make money on--so
      > let's leave them out of the equation for now.

      Unless it's a podcast produced by the RIAA, or has an RIAA license to
      play and distribute music under specific terms, I don't see how they
      have a stake in this question. If a podcaster owns all the rights to
      his own content, he can give you the right to archive and upload if he
      wishes. This, again, is what the CC license is for.

      > Purportedly, there is someone who has tried to archive the entire podosphere. The last I
      > read about this was prior to itunes/odeo/yahoo distribution. Does anyone know where this
      > currently stands?

      At the moment I imagine this would require a commercial-grade
      infrastructure and lots of very clever information management. The
      Internet Archive (http://www.archive.org) could handle it, and in fact
      many podcasters do use it for archiving, but I doubt anyone's doing it
      for fun.

      http://www.escapepod.info