"Best" way to find, download and manage podcasts on an MP3 player (Treo 650)

  • Mike Cohen
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2005
      Hi,

      HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      I am quite confused about best way to set up my PC and Treo 650 to
      download and manage music mp3s and podcasts.

      Does anyone have an overall solution to this problem?????????

      If so PLEASE let me know.

      The problem as I see it.....
      you find and subscribe to Podcasts. Hopefully it will integrate
      with your PC track Manager.

      The real trick is to find a combination that works together well.
      There are so many different possible combinations. As of now I am
      using
      A) RealPlayer as a PC Track Manager
      B) RealPlayer as a Treo Track player
      C) Juice as a subscription tool (It currently does not integrate
      with RealPlayer & it does not help much with podcast selection).
      NOTE I was happy with Odeo, for finding and subscribing to Podcasts,
      but the Odeo Sync subscription service was suspended.

      If you do not have an overall solution, here are a the main
      questions as I see them.

      1) What is the best mp3 PC manager (such as: Itunes /
      RealPlayer....)?
      These all seem to work pretty well on the PC the problem is the
      interface to the mobile mp3 player (such as: Treo 650)

      2) What is the best way to locate & subscribe to Podcasts?
      There are a number of Podcast indexes (such as Odeo, ITunes, Juice)?
      For these I am interested in.
      - Completeness of listings
      - Indexing, Rating, and search capabilities.
      - Interface with subcription software

      3) What is the best mp3 / Podcast client?
      RealPlayer works, but there are a number of problems
      - Downloaded files show up on the Treo in random order on the
      Treo "Songlist"
      - Playlists must be recreated on the Treo
      - Managing playlists and deleting files is very inconvenient on
      the Treo (for example - You cannot listen to a track and then
      directly delete it or ad it to a playlist without opening another
      window and finding the file again from a complete list of files in
      random order.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Report to moderator 24.44.21.184

      -----------
    • Evo Terra
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2005
        Mike Cohen wrote:
        > I am quite confused about best way to set up my PC and Treo 650 to
        > download and manage music mp3s and podcasts.
        >
        > Does anyone have an overall solution to this problem?????????
        >
        > If so PLEASE let me know.
        >
        > The problem as I see it.....
        (and then he goes on to explain an overly complicated idea of how to listen)

        Mike - Dude. You're way WAY overthinking this.

        I used my Treo 650 as my MP3 player for months and needed NONE of what
        you outline. Do this:

        1) Get iPodderX. Others will work, but I'm partial to this one. Once
        you've got it installed, figure out where it's moving your audio files.
        I recommend *not* checking the box that deletes the file once it's
        imported into iTunes.

        2) Your Treo should have RealPlayer installed already. It was on mine.

        3) Open up your Palm HotSync Manager, and drag-and-drop the media files
        iPX has collected for you.

        4) Sync.

        5) On your Treo, open RealPlayer. Play. Enjoy.

        That's it. No playlist management, no interfacing with your podcatcher
        like iTunes and iPod... but it's pretty easy. Let iPX handle managing
        things. Use whatever service/directory/list you like to find podcasts.
        In fact, use many.

        Other than that, listen to the Treo Podcast and see what he has to say.
        There may be more automated ways, but I never had a need.

        E.

        Evo Terra | DragonPage.com | SliceofSciFi.com
      • ecomputerd
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2005
          I'm not sure that Mike was overthinking on this. Specifically,
          number 3:

          >>3) What is the best mp3 / Podcast client?
          >>RealPlayer works, but there are a number of problems
          >>- Downloaded files show up on the Treo in random order on the
          >>Treo "Songlist"
          >>- Playlists must be recreated on the Treo
          >>- Managing playlists and deleting files is very inconvenient on
          >>the Treo (for example - You cannot listen to a track and then
          >>directly delete it or ad it to a playlist without opening another
          >>window and finding the file again from a complete list of files in
          >>random order.

          This "file management" issue is rather important if you like to
          download podcasts, listen to SOME of them, and then
          download/transfer more.

          And Mike, I think your best bet is to upgrade in January/February to
          the Treo 700w and install FeederReader ;-)

          Ed Hardy of Brighthand surveyed the podcatching client applications
          in July and concluded that Quick News for Palm and FeederReader for
          Pocket PC were the best available.
          http://www.brighthand.com/article/Podcasts_and_Handhelds?site=Learn

          Evo,

          I think your plan works well if you download podcasts then listen to
          ALL of them prior to transferring any more. Otherwise, it gets
          confusing trying to figure out what you've already listened to
          (meaning: what can you delete?) and what you haven't. Granted, for
          many people, yours is a decent solution. But for people like me, it
          doesn't work so well. I am constantly (twice per day up to sometimes
          every 30 minutes) updating blogs, news and podcasts on my Pocket PC.
          The program I use (FeederReader, which I wrote) is a true "mixed"
          aggregator allowing you to download and read text, hear audio, and
          watch video.

          With FeederReader, you can download at any time. After you've
          listened to a podcast (or watched a videoblog) on your Pocket PC,
          you tap one icon and it deletes what you've just watched/heard, then
          starts playing the next one. That's why I say that FeederReader
          contains "integrated file management". It keeps track for you.

          Also, you can download any time. With a PDA connected to your
          cellular phone data plan, you don't have to get back to your desktop
          just to listen to new episodes. You can go on vacation for a week,
          and get new episodes while you're away.

          For some people, these issues are important. For others (perhaps
          you! ;-) ) these issues *are* "way WAY overthinking". ;-)

          If you aren't convinced (or don't agree with some of what I've
          said), I'd love to have further discussion!

          Greg Smith
          Author, FeederReader - Pocket PC *direct* RSS text, audio, video,
          podcasts
          www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road.