Re: [podcasters] Podcast Feed Tracker for Apache

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
      On 12/1/05, Geek <geek@...> wrote:
      > Ok if you ask nicely people will bust their butts to put something together
      > for the community. This is a terrific start to being able to essentially
      > track your own RSS feed.
      >
      > http://cblackburn.blogspot.com/2005/12/modclicktrack-podcast-feed-tracker-fo
      > r.html

      Maybe I'm just dense, or it's way too late at night, but I'm a little
      confused. What exactly is this module supposed to do? I gather it's
      something about logging hits on MP3 or other file types, but that's
      not even vaguely similar to what Feedburner does and doesn't seem
      related to RSS.

      A quick sentence on the lines of "This is an Apache module to _______"
      would do much to enlighten me and set my universe at peace.

      http://www.escapepod.info
    • Andy Armstrong
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
        On 1 Dec 2005, at 06:59, Geek wrote:

        > Ok if you ask nicely people will bust their butts to put something
        > together
        > for the community. This is a terrific start to being able to
        > essentially
        > track your own RSS feed.
        >
        > http://cblackburn.blogspot.com/2005/12/modclicktrack-podcast-feed-
        > tracker-fo
        > r.html
        >
        > When your at the site tell Chris thank you, he will be putting the
        > project
        > on sourceforge. He is looking for comments and suggestions

        What does it actually do? Does it just log downloads of matching files?

        --
        Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
      • Andy Armstrong
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
          On 1 Dec 2005, at 07:31, Geek wrote:
          > Kevin I am sure he can use some input on this one. Any advise you
          > can give
          > it would be appreciated. Im not a programmer but I am sending a e-
          > mail to
          > every RSS evanglist I know we will see if we can get some big guns
          > in to
          > help.

          I might be able to help if someone can explain what it actually is.

          Andy, AKA andya@... for what it's worth :)

          --
          Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
        • Andy Armstrong
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
            On 1 Dec 2005, at 08:36, Stephen Eley wrote:
            > Maybe I'm just dense, or it's way too late at night, but I'm a little
            > confused. What exactly is this module supposed to do? I gather it's
            > something about logging hits on MP3 or other file types, but that's
            > not even vaguely similar to what Feedburner does and doesn't seem
            > related to RSS.
            >
            > A quick sentence on the lines of "This is an Apache module to _______"
            > would do much to enlighten me and set my universe at peace.

            Yeah, same confusion here. I think it's the same thing I'm doing by
            piping my Apache logs through a little Perl script that updates a
            MySQL database. As a result I have an RSS feed that updates when
            there's a new referrer to my site (for example).

            I can't quite understand why this needs to be a module. Apart from
            anything else it's an Apache 2 module and the majority of sites are
            still using Apache 1.3.

            --
            Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
          • robert
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
              From Blackburn's Bombast:
              I'm not sure it will compete with feedburner but Todd wanted this
              alternative, so here it is:

              Need to do four things to use it:

              1) install the module - This is simply a matter of copying the shared
              library
              file libmod_clicktrack.so into the, typically, /usr/lib/apache/modules
              direction and then reloading apache 'apache2ctl -k restart'.

              2) drop a .htaccess text file into the directory with your mp3 files
              containing the following substituting your own database login info:

              ModuleTrackPattern "*.mp3|*.ogg"
              ModuleDSNString "username:passw0rd@localhost/clicktrack:3306"

              3) run the following sql on your MySQL database:

              CREATE TABLE `log` (
              `id` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
              `uri` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
              `date` timestamp NULL default CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,
              `ip` varchar(15) NOT NULL default '',
              `data` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
              PRIMARY KEY (`id`),
              KEY `ua` (`ip`),
              KEY `uri` (`uri`)
              );

              4) Write some PHP or other scripting code to retrieve the data. For
              example:

              $sql = "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM log WHERE uri LIKE '%.mp3'";
              $rs = $db->Execute($sql);
              print("Total MP3s Served: ". $rs->fields[0]);

              I am not sure that the average podcaster will have any clue on how to
              do this.

              More and more podcasters are coming into podcasting that are not Uber
              Tech Geeks.

              Many I have talked to are hard pressed to understand how to do
              the .htaccess.

              At least at this point this seems very limited to just a few hand
              fulls of Uber Geeks.

              Rob W
              podCast411

              On Dec 1, 2005, at 4:49 AM, Andy Armstrong wrote:

              > On 1 Dec 2005, at 08:36, Stephen Eley wrote:
              >> Maybe I'm just dense, or it's way too late at night, but I'm a little
              >> confused. What exactly is this module supposed to do? I gather it's
              >> something about logging hits on MP3 or other file types, but that's
              >> not even vaguely similar to what Feedburner does and doesn't seem
              >> related to RSS.
              >>
              >> A quick sentence on the lines of "This is an Apache module to
              >> _______"
              >> would do much to enlighten me and set my universe at peace.
              >
              > Yeah, same confusion here. I think it's the same thing I'm doing by
              > piping my Apache logs through a little Perl script that updates a
              > MySQL database. As a result I have an RSS feed that updates when
              > there's a new referrer to my site (for example).
              >
              > I can't quite understand why this needs to be a module. Apart from
              > anything else it's an Apache 2 module and the majority of sites are
              > still using Apache 1.3.
              >
              > --
              > Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

              > ~-->
              > Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!
              > http://us.click.yahoo.com/2jUsvC/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/26EolB/TM

            • Andy Armstrong
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
                On 1 Dec 2005, at 16:31, robert wrote:
                > From Blackburn's Bombast:
                > I'm not sure it will compete with feedburner but Todd wanted this
                > alternative, so here it is:
                [snip]

                Yes, I read it. I just don't see how in any sense it's an alternative
                to feedburner :)

                Can anyone tell me what it does apart from logging downloads for
                certain file types to a database?

                --
                Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
              • Andy Armstrong
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
                  On 1 Dec 2005, at 06:59, Geek wrote:
                  > When your at the site tell Chris thank you, he will be putting the
                  > project
                  > on sourceforge. He is looking for comments and suggestions

                  I've taken a look at Chris' code now. Unless I'm missing something
                  fundamental it just seems to reproduce functionality that's already
                  provided by mod_log_mysql[1]. Given that mod_log_mysql is better
                  established there's probably more chance of
                  getting it installed on your server.

                  Secondly a quick examination of the code reveals what I think is a
                  SQL injection bug - which would potentially allow an attacker to
                  execute arbitrary SQL against your database. I've reported that to
                  Chris - it shouldn't be hard for him to fix.

                  [1] http://lyxus.net/bkg

                  --
                  Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                • Andy Armstrong
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
                    On 2 Dec 2005, at 15:20, Andy Armstrong wrote:
                    > Secondly a quick examination of the code reveals what I think is a
                    > SQL injection bug - which would potentially allow an attacker to
                    > execute arbitrary SQL against your database. I've reported that to
                    > Chris - it shouldn't be hard for him to fix.

                    Oh, and a possible buffer overrun - also reported to Chris :)

                    --
                    Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                  • Kevin Devin
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
                      I haven't looked at the code... and since it's in C, there's not likely a
                      chance that I'd know what I was looking at anyway. :-)

                      But I'm curious... how does collecting the DL info for media files differ
                      in this incarnation that what is provided in the RAW Log files? The only
                      difference that I can immediately see is that the media types are already
                      filtered out versus having to run Podstats (or something similar) to filter
                      those out.

                      It would seem to me, that typical podcasters, who might be using an
                      Apache-based hosting service, are going to have easier access to RAW log
                      files versus requesting a module be installed on the box.

                      And finally... pardon my ignorance, but in a shared hosting environment, how
                      will the use of this module work? if it's pumping its data to a single
                      database/table... won't that essentially record the info for ALL who are
                      hosted on that box?

                      -KHD

                      --
                      Kevin H. Devin
                      In the Trenches podcast

                    • Andy Armstrong
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
                        On 2 Dec 2005, at 17:57, Kevin Devin wrote:
                        > I haven't looked at the code... and since it's in C, there's not
                        > likely a
                        > chance that I'd know what I was looking at anyway. :-)
                        >
                        > But I'm curious... how does collecting the DL info for media files
                        > differ
                        > in this incarnation that what is provided in the RAW Log files?
                        > The only
                        > difference that I can immediately see is that the media types are
                        > already
                        > filtered out versus having to run Podstats (or something similar)
                        > to filter
                        > those out.

                        I've spoken to Chris about it and you're right - that's what it does.
                        As I mentioned it also has a couple of security issues which he's
                        fixing. I do the same thing by configuring my server to pipe the log
                        output through a little Perl script that catches items of interest
                        and logs them to a MySQL database. You could also use mod_log_mysql
                        to log everything to a MySQL database and then run queries against that.

                        > It would seem to me, that typical podcasters, who might be using an
                        > Apache-based hosting service, are going to have easier access to
                        > RAW log
                        > files versus requesting a module be installed on the box.
                        >
                        > And finally... pardon my ignorance, but in a shared hosting
                        > environment, how
                        > will the use of this module work? if it's pumping its data to a
                        > single
                        > database/table... won't that essentially record the info for ALL
                        > who are
                        > hosted on that box?

                        It's configured using a .htaccess file so that's per-directory
                        configuration.

                        --
                        Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                      • Geek
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
                          Kevin

                          Not being a programmer these are good points. He does not particpate in this
                          list so comments to his website probably would garner feedback..

                          Todd..

                          _____

                          I haven't looked at the code... and since it's in C, there's not likely a
                          chance that I'd know what I was looking at anyway. :-)

                          But I'm curious... how does collecting the DL info for media files differ
                          in this incarnation that what is provided in the RAW Log files? The only
                          difference that I can immediately see is that the media types are already
                          filtered out versus having to run Podstats (or something similar) to filter
                          those out.

                          It would seem to me, that typical podcasters, who might be using an
                          Apache-based hosting service, are going to have easier access to RAW log
                          files versus requesting a module be installed on the box.

                          And finally... pardon my ignorance, but in a shared hosting environment, how
                          will the use of this module work? if it's pumping its data to a single
                          database/table... won't that essentially record the info for ALL who are
                          hosted on that box?

                          -KHD

                          On 12/2/05, Andy Armstrong <andy@...> wrote:

                          > On 1 Dec 2005, at 16:31, robert wrote:
                          > > From Blackburn's Bombast:
                          > > I'm not sure it will compete with feedburner but Todd wanted this
                          > > alternative, so here it is:
                          > [snip]
                          >
                          > Yes, I read it. I just don't see how in any sense it's an alternative
                          > to feedburner :)
                          >
                          > Can anyone tell me what it does apart from logging downloads for
                          > certain file types to a database?
                          >
                          > --
                          > Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

                          cation+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&c=2&s=77&.sig
                          =ozdeqSR9iHuNl4GM8mtT5w>
                          &k=Communication+and+networking&w1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Wireless+
                          communication+and+networking&c=2&s=77&.sig=ozdeqSR9iHuNl4GM8mtT5w> Wireless
                          > communication and networking<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                          1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&c=2&
                          s=77&.sig=C2VMYm3EZ13VjeE5NNaKDg>
                          &k=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w1=Communication+and+networking&w2=
                          Wireless+communication+and+networking&c=2&s=77&.sig=C2VMYm3EZ13VjeE5NNaKDg>

                          m?subject=Unsubscribe>

                          --
                          Kevin H. Devin
                          In the Trenches podcast