Podcast Feed Tracker for Apache

  • Geek
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005
      Ok if you ask nicely people will bust their butts to put something together
      for the community. This is a terrific start to being able to essentially
      track your own RSS feed.

      http://cblackburn.blogspot.com/2005/12/modclicktrack-podcast-feed-tracker-fo
      r.html

      When your at the site tell Chris thank you, he will be putting the project
      on sourceforge. He is looking for comments and suggestions

      Todd..
    • Kevin Devin
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005
        Pretty cool... I'd like to check it out.

        Not much use for those using a hosted solution unless you can talk
        your provider in to installing the mod. My gut tells me it's not
        going to be an easy sell knowing that it's still under development.
        But worth a shot... worse they can say is NO.

        -KHD

        --
        Kevin H. Devin
        In the Trenches podcast

        Enjoy In the Trenches?
        Then check out some of my friends
        http://www.friendsintech.com
      • Geek
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005
          Kevin I am sure he can use some input on this one. Any advise you can give
          it would be appreciated. Im not a programmer but I am sending a e-mail to
          every RSS evanglist I know we will see if we can get some big guns in to
          help.

          _____

          --
          Kevin H. Devin
          In the Trenches podcast
          http://kevindevin.com

          Enjoy In the Trenches?
          Then check out some of my friends
          http://www.friendsintech.com

          * Visit your group "podcasters
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/podcasters> " on the web.

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          _____

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
            On 12/1/05, Geek <geek@...> wrote:
            > Ok if you ask nicely people will bust their butts to put something together
            > for the community. This is a terrific start to being able to essentially
            > track your own RSS feed.
            >
            > http://cblackburn.blogspot.com/2005/12/modclicktrack-podcast-feed-tracker-fo
            > r.html

            Maybe I'm just dense, or it's way too late at night, but I'm a little
            confused. What exactly is this module supposed to do? I gather it's
            something about logging hits on MP3 or other file types, but that's
            not even vaguely similar to what Feedburner does and doesn't seem
            related to RSS.

            A quick sentence on the lines of "This is an Apache module to _______"
            would do much to enlighten me and set my universe at peace.

            http://www.escapepod.info
          • Andy Armstrong
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
              On 1 Dec 2005, at 06:59, Geek wrote:

              > Ok if you ask nicely people will bust their butts to put something
              > together
              > for the community. This is a terrific start to being able to
              > essentially
              > track your own RSS feed.
              >
              > http://cblackburn.blogspot.com/2005/12/modclicktrack-podcast-feed-
              > tracker-fo
              > r.html
              >
              > When your at the site tell Chris thank you, he will be putting the
              > project
              > on sourceforge. He is looking for comments and suggestions

              What does it actually do? Does it just log downloads of matching files?

              --
              Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
            • Andy Armstrong
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
                On 1 Dec 2005, at 07:31, Geek wrote:
                > Kevin I am sure he can use some input on this one. Any advise you
                > can give
                > it would be appreciated. Im not a programmer but I am sending a e-
                > mail to
                > every RSS evanglist I know we will see if we can get some big guns
                > in to
                > help.

                I might be able to help if someone can explain what it actually is.

                Andy, AKA andya@... for what it's worth :)

                --
                Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
              • Andy Armstrong
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
                  On 1 Dec 2005, at 08:36, Stephen Eley wrote:
                  > Maybe I'm just dense, or it's way too late at night, but I'm a little
                  > confused. What exactly is this module supposed to do? I gather it's
                  > something about logging hits on MP3 or other file types, but that's
                  > not even vaguely similar to what Feedburner does and doesn't seem
                  > related to RSS.
                  >
                  > A quick sentence on the lines of "This is an Apache module to _______"
                  > would do much to enlighten me and set my universe at peace.

                  Yeah, same confusion here. I think it's the same thing I'm doing by
                  piping my Apache logs through a little Perl script that updates a
                  MySQL database. As a result I have an RSS feed that updates when
                  there's a new referrer to my site (for example).

                  I can't quite understand why this needs to be a module. Apart from
                  anything else it's an Apache 2 module and the majority of sites are
                  still using Apache 1.3.

                  --
                  Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                • robert
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
                    From Blackburn's Bombast:
                    I'm not sure it will compete with feedburner but Todd wanted this
                    alternative, so here it is:

                    Need to do four things to use it:

                    1) install the module - This is simply a matter of copying the shared
                    library
                    file libmod_clicktrack.so into the, typically, /usr/lib/apache/modules
                    direction and then reloading apache 'apache2ctl -k restart'.

                    2) drop a .htaccess text file into the directory with your mp3 files
                    containing the following substituting your own database login info:

                    ModuleTrackPattern "*.mp3|*.ogg"
                    ModuleDSNString "username:passw0rd@localhost/clicktrack:3306"

                    3) run the following sql on your MySQL database:

                    CREATE TABLE `log` (
                    `id` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
                    `uri` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
                    `date` timestamp NULL default CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,
                    `ip` varchar(15) NOT NULL default '',
                    `data` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
                    PRIMARY KEY (`id`),
                    KEY `ua` (`ip`),
                    KEY `uri` (`uri`)
                    );

                    4) Write some PHP or other scripting code to retrieve the data. For
                    example:

                    $sql = "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM log WHERE uri LIKE '%.mp3'";
                    $rs = $db->Execute($sql);
                    print("Total MP3s Served: ". $rs->fields[0]);

                    I am not sure that the average podcaster will have any clue on how to
                    do this.

                    More and more podcasters are coming into podcasting that are not Uber
                    Tech Geeks.

                    Many I have talked to are hard pressed to understand how to do
                    the .htaccess.

                    At least at this point this seems very limited to just a few hand
                    fulls of Uber Geeks.

                    Rob W
                    podCast411

                    On Dec 1, 2005, at 4:49 AM, Andy Armstrong wrote:

                    > On 1 Dec 2005, at 08:36, Stephen Eley wrote:
                    >> Maybe I'm just dense, or it's way too late at night, but I'm a little
                    >> confused. What exactly is this module supposed to do? I gather it's
                    >> something about logging hits on MP3 or other file types, but that's
                    >> not even vaguely similar to what Feedburner does and doesn't seem
                    >> related to RSS.
                    >>
                    >> A quick sentence on the lines of "This is an Apache module to
                    >> _______"
                    >> would do much to enlighten me and set my universe at peace.
                    >
                    > Yeah, same confusion here. I think it's the same thing I'm doing by
                    > piping my Apache logs through a little Perl script that updates a
                    > MySQL database. As a result I have an RSS feed that updates when
                    > there's a new referrer to my site (for example).
                    >
                    > I can't quite understand why this needs to be a module. Apart from
                    > anything else it's an Apache 2 module and the majority of sites are
                    > still using Apache 1.3.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

                    > ~-->
                    > Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!
                    > http://us.click.yahoo.com/2jUsvC/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/26EolB/TM

                  • Andy Armstrong
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
                      On 1 Dec 2005, at 16:31, robert wrote:
                      > From Blackburn's Bombast:
                      > I'm not sure it will compete with feedburner but Todd wanted this
                      > alternative, so here it is:
                      [snip]

                      Yes, I read it. I just don't see how in any sense it's an alternative
                      to feedburner :)

                      Can anyone tell me what it does apart from logging downloads for
                      certain file types to a database?

                      --
                      Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                    • Andy Armstrong
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
                        On 1 Dec 2005, at 06:59, Geek wrote:
                        > When your at the site tell Chris thank you, he will be putting the
                        > project
                        > on sourceforge. He is looking for comments and suggestions

                        I've taken a look at Chris' code now. Unless I'm missing something
                        fundamental it just seems to reproduce functionality that's already
                        provided by mod_log_mysql[1]. Given that mod_log_mysql is better
                        established there's probably more chance of
                        getting it installed on your server.

                        Secondly a quick examination of the code reveals what I think is a
                        SQL injection bug - which would potentially allow an attacker to
                        execute arbitrary SQL against your database. I've reported that to
                        Chris - it shouldn't be hard for him to fix.

                        [1] http://lyxus.net/bkg

                        --
                        Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                      • Andy Armstrong
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
                          On 2 Dec 2005, at 15:20, Andy Armstrong wrote:
                          > Secondly a quick examination of the code reveals what I think is a
                          > SQL injection bug - which would potentially allow an attacker to
                          > execute arbitrary SQL against your database. I've reported that to
                          > Chris - it shouldn't be hard for him to fix.

                          Oh, and a possible buffer overrun - also reported to Chris :)

                          --
                          Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                        • Kevin Devin
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
                            I haven't looked at the code... and since it's in C, there's not likely a
                            chance that I'd know what I was looking at anyway. :-)

                            But I'm curious... how does collecting the DL info for media files differ
                            in this incarnation that what is provided in the RAW Log files? The only
                            difference that I can immediately see is that the media types are already
                            filtered out versus having to run Podstats (or something similar) to filter
                            those out.

                            It would seem to me, that typical podcasters, who might be using an
                            Apache-based hosting service, are going to have easier access to RAW log
                            files versus requesting a module be installed on the box.

                            And finally... pardon my ignorance, but in a shared hosting environment, how
                            will the use of this module work? if it's pumping its data to a single
                            database/table... won't that essentially record the info for ALL who are
                            hosted on that box?

                            -KHD

                            --
                            Kevin H. Devin
                            In the Trenches podcast

                          • Andy Armstrong
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
                              On 2 Dec 2005, at 17:57, Kevin Devin wrote:
                              > I haven't looked at the code... and since it's in C, there's not
                              > likely a
                              > chance that I'd know what I was looking at anyway. :-)
                              >
                              > But I'm curious... how does collecting the DL info for media files
                              > differ
                              > in this incarnation that what is provided in the RAW Log files?
                              > The only
                              > difference that I can immediately see is that the media types are
                              > already
                              > filtered out versus having to run Podstats (or something similar)
                              > to filter
                              > those out.

                              I've spoken to Chris about it and you're right - that's what it does.
                              As I mentioned it also has a couple of security issues which he's
                              fixing. I do the same thing by configuring my server to pipe the log
                              output through a little Perl script that catches items of interest
                              and logs them to a MySQL database. You could also use mod_log_mysql
                              to log everything to a MySQL database and then run queries against that.

                              > It would seem to me, that typical podcasters, who might be using an
                              > Apache-based hosting service, are going to have easier access to
                              > RAW log
                              > files versus requesting a module be installed on the box.
                              >
                              > And finally... pardon my ignorance, but in a shared hosting
                              > environment, how
                              > will the use of this module work? if it's pumping its data to a
                              > single
                              > database/table... won't that essentially record the info for ALL
                              > who are
                              > hosted on that box?

                              It's configured using a .htaccess file so that's per-directory
                              configuration.

                              --
                              Andy Armstrong, hexten.net
                            • Geek
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
                                Kevin

                                Not being a programmer these are good points. He does not particpate in this
                                list so comments to his website probably would garner feedback..

                                Todd..

                                _____

                                I haven't looked at the code... and since it's in C, there's not likely a
                                chance that I'd know what I was looking at anyway. :-)

                                But I'm curious... how does collecting the DL info for media files differ
                                in this incarnation that what is provided in the RAW Log files? The only
                                difference that I can immediately see is that the media types are already
                                filtered out versus having to run Podstats (or something similar) to filter
                                those out.

                                It would seem to me, that typical podcasters, who might be using an
                                Apache-based hosting service, are going to have easier access to RAW log
                                files versus requesting a module be installed on the box.

                                And finally... pardon my ignorance, but in a shared hosting environment, how
                                will the use of this module work? if it's pumping its data to a single
                                database/table... won't that essentially record the info for ALL who are
                                hosted on that box?

                                -KHD

                                On 12/2/05, Andy Armstrong <andy@...> wrote:

                                > On 1 Dec 2005, at 16:31, robert wrote:
                                > > From Blackburn's Bombast:
                                > > I'm not sure it will compete with feedburner but Todd wanted this
                                > > alternative, so here it is:
                                > [snip]
                                >
                                > Yes, I read it. I just don't see how in any sense it's an alternative
                                > to feedburner :)
                                >
                                > Can anyone tell me what it does apart from logging downloads for
                                > certain file types to a database?
                                >
                                > --
                                > Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

                                cation+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&c=2&s=77&.sig
                                =ozdeqSR9iHuNl4GM8mtT5w>
                                &k=Communication+and+networking&w1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Wireless+
                                communication+and+networking&c=2&s=77&.sig=ozdeqSR9iHuNl4GM8mtT5w> Wireless
                                > communication and networking<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                                1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&c=2&
                                s=77&.sig=C2VMYm3EZ13VjeE5NNaKDg>
                                &k=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w1=Communication+and+networking&w2=
                                Wireless+communication+and+networking&c=2&s=77&.sig=C2VMYm3EZ13VjeE5NNaKDg>

                                m?subject=Unsubscribe>

                                --
                                Kevin H. Devin
                                In the Trenches podcast