Recording your Podcast

  • email68@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 29, 2005
      How is everyone recording their Podcast?

      I am using my Sony digital camcorder for the recording and then use the fire
      wire to bring it into the pc. Seems to work pretty well.

      Only a few issues are: using tapes, wear and tear of the camcorder, and
      having to load it real time into the PC.

      I was looking at the Marantz PMD-670. But they are a little pricey.
      However they would also allow for field recordings because of the two XLR
      mic inputs. So that is a major plus.

      I know a lot of people seem to use the iriver, but I cannot figure out what
      model is being used as the ones I see look like very small mp3 players.

      Like most everyone else, I'm not making any money Podcasting so I don't want
      to spend money on it either ;-) But Santa may bring me a recorder of some
      type if I can decide on one.

      Thanks for any input.

      -Tim

      theVAP.com

    • Unsigned Podcast/Paul
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 30, 2005
        --- email68@... wrote:
        > How is everyone recording their Podcast?

        Hey Tim,

        I use Steinbergs Nuendo as my multitrack software.
        After laying down the beds, bumpers, and backgrounds,
        I choose the music I will play in between segments.

        I then record my vocals. Then I normalize, add eq,
        compression, gate, and noise reduction. I use noise
        reduction because the valve is starting to go out on
        my tube mic. I then render it to wav, convert it to
        mp3 using a LAME encoder, and then upload.

        > I was looking at the Marantz PMD-670. But they are
        > a little pricey.
        > However they would also allow for field recordings
        > because of the two XLR
        > mic inputs. So that is a major plus.

        The Marantz would be a great piece! As long as you
        have the right mics.

        > I know a lot of people seem to use the iriver, but I
        > cannot figure out what
        > model is being used as the ones I see look like very
        > small mp3 players.

        A lot of folks use the iRivers here. I have not, but
        who am I to argue. Good price, and not a big box to
        lug around.

        > Like most everyone else, I'm not making any money
        > Podcasting so I don't want
        > to spend money on it either ;-) But Santa may bring
        > me a recorder of some
        > type if I can decide on one.

        I can get gear for a great price because I have
        friends in low places;) But seriously, if you are
        looking for a Marantz, let me know. I can get you one
        close to cost. And most other gear as well. Except for
        iRivers.

        Paul Puri
        Unsigned Podcast Network

        Skype:unsignedpodcast
        The site: http://www.unsignedpodcastnetwork.com/
        The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
        The feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/unsignedpodcast/dmMp
        The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast

        Promotion without shame.
        Podcasting Announcements
      • sunyhg
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 30, 2005
          I record right on my pc, I am using MixCraft to record, it works great!

          Al
          WildHockeyFan PodCast

          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 30, 2005
            On 11/30/05, email68@... <email68@...> wrote:

            > How is everyone recording their Podcast?

            Shure SM-57 --> ART Tube MP preamp --> M-Audio MobilePre USB interface.

            Yes, the MobilePre has preamps, but when I plugged the SM-57 directly
            into it I found the noise unacceptable. This is a mutant set-up based
            on the cheapest equipment I could find to work with the mic I already
            had, and although the sound is acceptable, I wouldn't really recommend
            it to anyone.

            > I know a lot of people seem to use the iriver, but I cannot figure out what
            > model is being used as the ones I see look like very small mp3 players.

            Those would be the ones. iRiver's MP3 players have recording
            capabilities with both line-in and mic preamp settings, so they're
            favored by a lot of people as a cheap field recorder with passable
            quality. The popular models are the iFP-790/795/799, or the
            iFP-890/895/899. (They're all exactly the same hardware, varying only
            in memory size and cosmetics.) You can find them on eBay for dirt
            cheap if you're patient; I got mine for $45 plus shipping.

            > Like most everyone else, I'm not making any money Podcasting so I don't want
            > to spend money on it either ;-) But Santa may bring me a recorder of some
            > type if I can decide on one.

            Buying a Marantz is a pretty big first step. Are you considering
            buying a new mic as well? A mic that'd take advantage of the
            Marantz's XLR inputs and preamps would be a very different beast from
            the consumer-grade mic you probably have going into your Sony
            camcorder. Although of course that should work too, so you could
            always wait a while on a new mic.

            http://www.escapepod.info
          • email68@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 30, 2005
              Thanks for the input.

              I got a PA sponsor guy from the start. I have been using a 8 track Studiomaster mixer board with an Audio Technica MB1000 mic from the very first show.

              My show is almost always using skype so I don't want to use a computer for recording. That is why I take the output of the mixer into my camcorder for recording the show. That is getting a little old, although it works well.

              So that is a little of the history and why I am looking into the Marantz. The second reason for the Marantz is that I can see myself doing a few field recordings a year and that would work great with the Marantz.

              Just can't get my sponsor to cough one up! lol

              -Tim
              theVAP.com

              Buying a Marantz is a pretty big first step. Are you considering
              buying a new mic as well? A mic that'd take advantage of the
              Marantz's XLR inputs and preamps would be a very different beast from
              the consumer-grade mic you probably have going into your Sony
              camcorder. Although of course that should work too, so you could
              always wait a while on a new mic.

            • Dave Jackson
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 30, 2005
                I use an iRiver 899. Now discontinued.

                Dave Jackson
                www.schoolofpodcasting.com

                > I know a lot of people seem to use the iriver, but I
                > cannot figure out what
                > model is being used as the ones I see look like very
                > small mp3 players.

              • Michael W. Dean
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 31, 2007
                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

                  > On 11/30/05, email68@... <email68@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > How is everyone recording their Podcast?
                  >
                  > Shure SM-57 --> ART Tube MP preamp

                  ====

                  Hey Stephen, I know you've upgraded to a Perception mic, but are you
                  still using the ART preamp? I just ordered one. I've been curious
                  about tube pres, and the ART is so cheap now (30 bucks at
                  musiciansfriend.com) that I figured "what the hell, and I can use it
                  as a bass guitar DI if it sucks for the mic."

                  Did/do you like the ART Tube MP preamp ? And is there a danger with it
                  of blowing out the mixer I plug it into (Alesis USB 8).

                  Thank you,
                  MWD
                • Steven R. Boyett
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 31, 2007
                    I have one. I used to use it but don't any more, but I do think it adds
                    warms to vox. Very configurable, but you gotta let the tube warm up.
                    Presonus mic tube pres also come highly recommended.

                    Steve Boyett
                    www.djsteveboy.com <http://www.djsteveboy.com/>
                    Podcasts: "Groovelectric" / "Podrunner"

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 31, 2007
                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Steven R. Boyett" <steve@...> wrote:

                      > I have one. I used to use it but don't any more, but I do think it adds
                      > warms to vox. Very configurable, but you gotta let the tube warm up.

                      for how long?

                      Thank you.
                      MWD
                    • Steven R. Boyett
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 31, 2007
                        Fifteen or twenty minutes.

                        --steve

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 31, 2007
                          On 7/31/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:
                          > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Shure SM-57 --> ART Tube MP preamp
                          >
                          > Did/do you like the ART Tube MP preamp ? And is there a danger with it
                          > of blowing out the mixer I plug it into (Alesis USB 8).

                          Holy cow! You're following up to a post from 2005?

                          Anyway, I haven't touched the ART since -- well, since about a month
                          after that post. The only reason I still used it then was because the
                          preamps on my M-Audio MobilePre were too crappy to drive the SM57 all
                          by themselves. So I ran the two preamps in series. Even with the
                          ART/MobilePre combination, the noise was too high for my liking, but
                          it wasn't as bad.

                          Since you already bought one, all I can say is "Try it yourself,
                          decide if you like it." I wouldn't worry about it blowing out your
                          mixer; just run it in through an instrument line instead of the XLR
                          mic input.

                          Will it give you a warmer sound? Maybe. You can listen to some old
                          Escape Pods and compare them to new ones if you want. But understand
                          this: you paid thirty dollars for a preamp, and you're going to get a
                          thirty-dollar preamp. It's not very clean, and the sound may be
                          noisier than the preamps you already have in your mixer. By all means
                          play with it, but don't expect it to be on the level of the $2,000
                          Avalon preamps or whatever else people mean when they're talking about
                          the "tube sound."

                          http://www.escapepod.org
                        • Michael W. Dean
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 31, 2007
                            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:

                            > On 7/31/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:

                            > Holy cow! You're following up to a post from 2005?

                            Yup. It was the only thread that mentioned the piece of gear I was
                            wondering about.

                            You sounded surprised, not irritated (I think....) but I have noticed
                            a lot of people tend to get irritated on forum boards when someone
                            bumps an old thread. I don't know why. I can see getting irritated if
                            the person is opening an old wound, starting up a settled argument,
                            but I don't see the problem if they're just waking up a validly useful
                            sleeping conversation. That is the very nature of asynchronous
                            communication....

                            Anyway, thank you for the answers, Stephen. Yeah...I should have asked
                            *before* I ordered it...but I do want to experiment with tube
                            preamps....If I can get a feel for what they do from this one, maybe
                            I'll invest in a better one at some point. (Now that I have one piece
                            of rack-mount gear - the Furman power conditioner - I kinda wanna get
                            a rack and start filling it!)

                            But if the ART Tube MP preamp is something that adds too much noise to
                            my chain, maybe I'll give it away as a prize on one of the casts...It
                            would be of use to someone with a cheap mic, no preamp and no mixer.

                            MWD
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 31, 2007
                              On 8/1/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:

                              > You sounded surprised, not irritated (I think....) but I have noticed
                              > a lot of people tend to get irritated on forum boards when someone
                              > bumps an old thread. I don't know why. I can see getting irritated if
                              > the person is opening an old wound, starting up a settled argument,
                              > but I don't see the problem if they're just waking up a validly useful
                              > sleeping conversation. That is the very nature of asynchronous
                              > communication....

                              I wasn't irritated. "Holy cow!" was pretty much the extent of my
                              reaction. I often forget that the boards have a search feature that
                              enables this sort of thing at all.

                              > But if the ART Tube MP preamp is something that adds too much noise to
                              > my chain, maybe I'll give it away as a prize on one of the casts...It
                              > would be of use to someone with a cheap mic, no preamp and no mixer.

                              Sure. The upside of a $30 preamp, of course, is that it's only thirty
                              bucks. And isn't that a figure of some significance to you? >8->

                              http://www.escapepod.org
                            • Michael W. Dean
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 1, 2007
                                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:
                                > it's only thirty
                                > bucks. And isn't that a figure of some significance to you? >8->

                                ===
                                Yes, but these days, mostly only quarterly.

                                --MWD
                              • Flyswatter
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 1, 2007
                                  It's kind of fun, like commenting to a LiveJournal post from 2002.

                                  Laura

                                  On 8/1/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                  > "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > On 7/31/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Holy cow! You're following up to a post from 2005?

                                  Laura Ross

                                  The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
                                  http://coffeeandteashow.com
                                  Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
                                  coffeeandteashow@...

                                  Rocky Horror Pod Show
                                  http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
                                  Listener hotline: 206-888-4991 (note new number)
                                  rockypod@...

                                • I Print Stickers
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 1, 2007
                                  • Flyswatter
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 1, 2007
                                      I agree with this statement.

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 1, 2007
                                        Me too.
                                      • Jacek Artymiak
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 2, 2007
                                          There is no right or wrong. Every preamp has its unique sound. If you
                                          like it, use it even if it is noisy like the rush hours in New York.
                                          And if you make enough dough with your 'cast, get yourself a TL Audio
                                          VP1 and make everyone else jealous ;-)

                                          --
                                          Jacek Artymiak
                                          podcasting ltd