? about online show/podcast

  • Alana
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 28, 2005
      Hi there,

      I have been lurking for quite a long time and have question. We are
      currently doing an online radio show/podcast through a third party and
      I am trying to find out how much it would be to produce the show
      myself.

      We currently call in and use a recording line to tape, then the
      producer gives us our links for listeners to either listen online,
      download or access via their RSS.

      I know I can use Audio Acrobat to record, but what software would I
      need from there?

      Any direction is GREATLY appreciated! I have tried many online
      searches and it is sometimes difficult to wade through the results...

      Thanks!!

      Alana
    • Ed Riepl
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 28, 2005
        Alana, I have had the same problem and I am working to put my own up on line this next two weeks. I would be glad to share what I am doing and all. Let me know .

        ED

        Alana <alanamo@...> wrote:
        Hi there,

        I have been lurking for quite a long time and have question. We are
        currently doing an online radio show/podcast through a third party and
        I am trying to find out how much it would be to produce the show
        myself.

        We currently call in and use a recording line to tape, then the
        producer gives us our links for listeners to either listen online,
        download or access via their RSS.

        I know I can use Audio Acrobat to record, but what software would I
        need from there?

        Any direction is GREATLY appreciated! I have tried many online
        searches and it is sometimes difficult to wade through the results...

        Thanks!!

        Alana

        Communication and networking Wireless communication and networking

        ---------------------------------

      • Evo Terra
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 28, 2005
          Alana wrote:
          > I have been lurking for quite a long time and have question. We are
          > currently doing an online radio show/podcast through a third party and
          > I am trying to find out how much it would be to produce the show
          > myself.

          Of course, costs vary from show to show. And how does one value their
          time? But here are a few guidelines:

          * software to create your cast can be free
          * podcast hosting runs $5 - $10 per month. That'll generate your RSS
          feed, too
          * Editing and post production runs 3x - 5x the time it takes to record

          I'd highly recommend picking up one of the many books on beginning
          podcasting. No surprise that I'm gonna recommend mine: Podcasting for
          Dummies: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471748986

          > I know I can use Audio Acrobat to record, but what software would I
          > need from there?

          I'm unfamiliar with that, but you can use Audacity
          (http://audacity.sourceforge.net) which is a free program, or something
          like Adobe Audition which is not free but more full featured. Start
          small and free.

          > Any direction is GREATLY appreciated! I have tried many online
          > searches and it is sometimes difficult to wade through the results...

          Rob has good tutorials at http://podcast411.com, but sometimes having a
          guide (did I mention my book) to flip through is a preferable.

          Good luck! And trust me, you *can* do this yourself. If not, talk to my
          partner Mike (mike@...). He's dabbling in production work and
          might be able to offer competitive pricing for you. :)

          E.

          Evo Terra | DragonPage.com | SliceofSciFi.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 28, 2005
            On 11/28/05, Alana <alanamo@...> wrote:

            > I know I can use Audio Acrobat to record, but what software would I
            > need from there?

            There is no program by that name -- I think you probably meant either
            Adobe Audition (which costs a couple hundred dollars) or Audacity
            (which is free). Either program will give you a complete recording
            and editing solution, and is capable of creating finished MP3 files.
            The learning curve for Audacity is fairly low; the curve for Audition
            or Soundtrack Pro (the comparable Mac product) is higher, but they
            offer more versatility. I'd recommend Audacity to start.

            Once you have those MP3 files, it's just a matter of putting them on
            the Web and having an RSS feed for them. The *easiest* way to do this
            would be to use LibSyn or one of a handful of other dedicated podcast
            hosting providers. They'll do all the work of storing your files,
            creating the RSS feeds, and giving you a basic Web site. And they're
            cheap. There are arguably *better* solutions out there -- creating
            your own site and managing the feed yourself -- but again, they're
            more complex and may cost more. Again, if you're starting from
            scratch, I'd recommend LibSyn.

            Does that tell you what you needed to know? Best of luck with your podcast!

            http://www.escapepod.info
          • Alana
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 29, 2005
              Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded. I am in the
              process of looking through the suggested resources.

              Thanks again,

              Alana

              Co-Host, Mom Writer's Talk Radio
              www.MomWritersTalkRadio.com