Re: iPodder Lemon makes a drastic change

  • Tim Baker
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 12, 2005
      grr...I know it's been said, but Apple gets all that free advertising
      and cachet via Podcasting, puts it into iTunes and gets free
      cross-promo press, then goes after infringers of the iPod trademark
      even though it said it wouldn't about Podcasting.

      Almost makes me think they out podcasting into iTunes that in part so
      they can say you guys and all the rest were competition and could win
      a trademark case...grr.

      FWIW I think Juice is a better name tho, and the logo works better
      with the Lemon, which I really like as an icon. I've moved back to
      Lemon from iPodderX on the Mac btw - your software is still more
      reliable (ie it actually downloads episodes rather than with iPodderX
      which seems to take a few days to think about it, and I kept having
      to force it, and I bought iPodderX as well!)...if you could make it
      work with mfeeds.org feeds and a few other blogs like SVC I'd be a
      really happy bunny.

      Here's to a happy future (and I know it sounds sucky but I'll never
      use iTunes as a podcatcher)

      Tim

      At 23:25 12/11/2005, you wrote:
      >Well we all knew it was coming. Apple went after us over the "iPod"
      >part in our name. The claim we were decieving users that our software
      >was connected to Apple's iPod device, morons.
      >
      >We have moved now !! Our new name is "Juice" or "Juice Reciever".
      >
      >Website is now at http://juicereceiver.sourceforge.net/ and there is
      >a new version to be downloaded that reflects the changes for both the
      >name and all the URL's in the program.
      >
      >Also the linux version has forked into its own name and version but
      >will always be a sister project of Juice. The linux version can be
      >found at http://borgforge.net/projects/castpodder/
      >
      >Scott
      >Juice & CastPodder developer
    • Les Posen
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 12, 2005
        On 13/11/2005, at 1:37 PM, Tim Baker wrote:

        > grr...I know it's been said, but Apple gets all that free advertising
        > and cachet via Podcasting, puts it into iTunes and gets free
        > cross-promo press, then goes after infringers of the iPod trademark
        > even though it said it wouldn't about Podcasting.

        My guess is if the name had been PodderX you would not see Apple act.

        But call it iPod/der and you earn its wrath. Apple protects its i-X
        products (apps and hardware) judiciously.

        Les
      • GLSmyth
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 12, 2005
          Sheesh, Apple is so lame.

          Call it anything you want, I will continue to use it and couldn't care
          less what Apple does with their "Music Store podcatcher."

          Cheers -

          george

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Grayban" <evilborg2001@y...>

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 12, 2005
            On 11/12/05, Les Posen <lesposen@...> wrote:

            > But call it iPod/der and you earn its wrath. Apple protects its i-X
            > products (apps and hardware) judiciously.

            To be totally fair to Apple (which they sometimes make difficult) this
            could be something their lawyers told them they *had* to do. Unlike
            copyright, trademarks can be invalidated if you fail to enforce them
            consistently. Apple may not have anything against iPodder Lemon, but
            if they allowed it then their case is weakened when they have to go
            against products named iPodPorn or iPodiatrist or iPoddiedInMyPants.

            I'm not being theoretical here. This is what happened to Xerox, to
            aspirin, and to several other common words that were once brand names.
            See:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genericized_trademark

            http://www.escapepod.info
          • Harold Johnson
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 13, 2005
              Whatever its name, it's still the best darn podcast receiver out there. And
              the fellows developing the software aren't so bad, either, though a couple
              of them have peculiar ideas about how to have fun in Southern California. I
              mean, who goes to K-Mart anymore? Wal-Mart screams "America" way more than
              K-Mart ever did. Or Target, for those with more upscale predilections...

              Harold J. Johnson
              http://somethingthathappened.com

              On 11/12/05, Rishabh Kumar <mr.shooby@...> wrote:

              > damn apple...I've loved iPodder and will continue calling it ipodder
              > forever
              > and ever
              >
              > On 11/12/05, Scott Grayban <evilborg2001@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Well we all knew it was coming. Apple went after us over the "iPod"
              > > part in our name. The claim we were decieving users that our software
              > > was connected to Apple's iPod device, morons.
              > >
              > > We have moved now !! Our new name is "Juice" or "Juice Reciever".
              > >
              > > Website is now at http://juicereceiver.sourceforge.net/ and there is
              > > a new version to be downloaded that reflects the changes for both the
              > > name and all the URL's in the program.

            • Garth T Kidd
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 14, 2005
                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Scott Grayban wrote:
                > Well we all knew it was coming. Apple went after us [...]

                I'd rather not waste energy lambasting Apple's lawyers for correctly pointing out that the first four letters of iPodder happened to exactly match one of their registered trademarks. As I mentioned at the time, it's not like Apple could safely ignore us. Unlike satire or criticism sites, we'd created a product. It handles music. It puts things on iPods. On the Mac, it even looks shiny like iTunes. I don't think we'd have lasted a day in court if we'd tried to fight.

                Fortunately for us, Apple's lawyers were polite - almost to the point of being apologetic - and entirely reasonable. I's not appropriate for me to go into the details of our arrangement, but I can say I don't feel hard-done-by. Sure, I wouldn't have minded not having to change our name, but that couldn't really be avoided.

                Aside from "we all knew it was coming", Scott's entirely right on the new name (Juice) and web site (juicereceiver.sf.net), at which you can download fresh Juice: version 2.2 of our podcatching software for Mac and Windows users. As well as a shiny new logo, the new version includes support for WinAmp, password-protected feeds, and one-click subscriptions. We sincerely hope you'll like it.

                Yours,
                Garth.