TSFPN

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 3, 2005
      Those of you who are members of, or have an interest in, the Sci-Fi
      Podcast Network ought to take a look at the recent changes to their
      Web site:

      http://www.tsfpn.com

      If you have opinions -- positive or negative -- on the redesign, I
      strongly encourage you to send an e-mail to
      admin@... and tell them what you think.
      And if you have a podcast that's listed on TSFPN, please ask your
      listeners to do the same.

      I have no business stake in TSFPN or its new parent; I'm simply a
      member who wants them to receive as much feedback as possible, in the
      interests of building a better community. And, well, it's my opinion
      that right now they *really* need the feedback.

      That's all I have to say for now. Thanks.

      http://www.escapepod.info
    • Dennis Hays
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 3, 2005
        Stephen,

        <sarcasm>All the mentioned site needs now is some flashing
        colors and animation!</sarcasm>

        I did send a note to the admin.

        Dennis
        --
        Dennis Hays
        Secrets of Digital Imaging

        Quoting Stephen Eley <SFEley@...>:

        > Those of you who are members of, or have an interest in, the Sci-Fi
        > Podcast Network ought to take a look at the recent changes to their
        > Web site:
        >
        > http://www.tsfpn.com
        >
        > If you have opinions -- positive or negative -- on the redesign, I
        > strongly encourage you to send an e-mail to
        > admin@... and tell them what you think.
        > And if you have a podcast that's listed on TSFPN, please ask your
        > listeners to do the same.
        >
        > I have no business stake in TSFPN or its new parent; I'm simply a
        > member who wants them to receive as much feedback as possible, in the
        > interests of building a better community. And, well, it's my opinion
        > that right now they *really* need the feedback.
        >
        > That's all I have to say for now. Thanks.
        >
        > --
        > Have Fun,
        > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
        > http://www.escapepod.info

        Dennis Hays
        Secrets of Digital Imaging Audio Magazine
        http://www.imagingsecrets.com
        http://www.haysdesign.com
        +1 518.479.4220
      • Codeshaman
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 3, 2005
          Aigh! My eyes!!!

          Note sent. Oh yes. Note definitely sent.

          -Chris Miller

          http://www.podiobooks.com
          http://www.unquietdesperation.com

          > Those of you who are members of, or have an interest in, the Sci-Fi
          > Podcast Network ought to take a look at the recent changes to their
          > Web site:
          >
          > http://www.tsfpn.com
          >
          > If you have opinions -- positive or negative -- on the redesign, I
          > strongly encourage you to send an e-mail to
          > admin@... and tell them what you think.
          > And if you have a podcast that's listed on TSFPN, please ask your
          > listeners to do the same.
          >
          > I have no business stake in TSFPN or its new parent; I'm simply a
          > member who wants them to receive as much feedback as possible, in the
          > interests of building a better community. And, well, it's my opinion
          > that right now they *really* need the feedback.
          >
          > That's all I have to say for now. Thanks.
          >
          > --
          > Have Fun,
          > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
          > http://www.escapepod.info

        • Matt May
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 3, 2005
            Wow. Out of professional courtesy, I don't say this often, but that
            is just shockingly bad web design. And by that, I mean bad enough
            that I'd be embarrassed to be affiliated with them, or perhaps even
            to be caught with that page on my screen. It looks like an April
            Fools gag or some other awful self-parody.

            -

          • Tee Morris
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 3, 2005
              On Nov 3, 2005, at 11:01 AM, Matt May wrote:

              > Wow. Out of professional courtesy, I don't say this often, but that
              > is just shockingly bad web design. And by that, I mean bad enough
              > that I'd be embarrassed to be affiliated with them, or perhaps even
              > to be caught with that page on my screen. It looks like an April
              > Fools gag or some other awful self-parody.

              Just remember, folks, when you give your critique of TSFPN, be
              tactful and constructive. While they are working on the look and feel
              of the website, the staff is working for free and the man behind
              TSFPN (author Mike Stackpole) is less concerned about design and
              focused on content. True, a good design leads to good navigation
              which makes the content easier to manage, but right now TSFPN is
              focused on the content. They are going through some growing pains, so
              when you make your suggestions/recommendations, just be constructive
              and positive (as you can) and remember it is a volunteer staff on board.

              Just chiming in,

              Tee
              ----------------------------

              The Survival Guide to Writing Fantasy
              A podcast of strategies, ideas, and insights

              Subscribe to this podcast at http://www.teemorris.com/blog

              -~-~-~-~-~-~-~

              MOREVI: The Chronicles of Rafe & Askana
              An epic fantasy from Tee Morris & Lisa Lee

              Subscribe to this podcast at http://www.podiobooks.com
              PodioBooks.com -- A More Intimate Audio Experience
            • Matthew Wayne Selznick
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 3, 2005
                Stephen Eley wrote:
                > Those of you who are members of, or have an interest in, the Sci-Fi
                > Podcast Network ought to take a look at the recent changes to their
                > Web site:
                > http://www.tsfpn.com

                Well. I was considering an affiliation with TSFPN for my new podiobook.

                But seeing that... um, I'll take my chances elsewhere.

                Is the Podcast Entertainment Network for kids? Because that's what I'd
                think if I had no awareness of it before seeing the site.

                What's with that font???? If I can't read the logo (any of the logos!)
                I'm probably going to move on. And that forced-perspective thing on the
                cow is great... on cheesy greeting cards and MultiLevelMarketing websites.

                I'm not even going to mention the neon green. It's 1995, apparently.

                Finally, who is BullPEN Enterprises? If I was (still) considering
                joining PEN, that's the first question I'd ask... and there's no
                convenient link to discover that.

                Yuck. I hope all involved got a big chunk of money to see their baby
                sold into embarrassment.

                Recently I heard a song by Jawbreaker that contains my new favorite quote:

                "It's not what you sell, it's what you make."

                --
                Matthew Wayne Selznick
                MWS Media
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 3, 2005
                  Tee, your e-mail came just in time. I was moments away from forwarding
                  my initial reaction (posted in this forum) to PEN.

                  > Just remember, folks, when you give your critique of TSFPN, be
                  > tactful and constructive. While they are working on the look and feel
                  > of the website, the staff is working for free and the man behind
                  > TSFPN (author Mike Stackpole) is less concerned about design and
                  > focused on content. True, a good design leads to good navigation
                  > which makes the content easier to manage, but right now TSFPN is
                  > focused on the content. They are going through some growing pains, so
                  > when you make your suggestions/recommendations, just be constructive
                  > and positive (as you can) and remember it is a volunteer staff on board.

                  The design of the PEN site is so garish and bad, so unfriendly, and so
                  mis-representative of the variety of podcasts in the network, I think
                  Steve assumed there were new owners?

                  Okay. I'll write a real critique, with constructive criticism, and send
                  them *that.* I'll re-print it here.

                  --
                  Matthew Wayne Selznick
                  MWS Media
                  http://www.mwsmedia.com
                  505-DIY-0386
                  SKYPE: mwsmedia
                  "Because doing it yourself
                  should never mean going it alone."
                • GLSmyth
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 3, 2005
                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Hays <dhays@h...> wrote:

                    > Stephen,
                    >
                    > <sarcasm>All the mentioned site needs now is some flashing
                    > colors and animation!</sarcasm>

                    I thought I did see flashing colors and animation. <g>

                    Cheers -

                    george
                  • GLSmyth
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 3, 2005
                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Tee Morris <tee@m...> wrote:

                      > On Nov 3, 2005, at 11:01 AM, Matt May wrote:
                      >
                      > > Wow. Out of professional courtesy, I don't say this often, but that
                      > > is just shockingly bad web design. And by that, I mean bad enough
                      > > that I'd be embarrassed to be affiliated with them, or perhaps even
                      > > to be caught with that page on my screen. It looks like an April
                      > > Fools gag or some other awful self-parody.
                      >
                      > Just remember, folks, when you give your critique of TSFPN, be
                      > tactful and constructive. While they are working on the look and feel
                      > of the website, the staff is working for free and the man behind
                      > TSFPN (author Mike Stackpole) is less concerned about design and
                      > focused on content. True, a good design leads to good navigation
                      > which makes the content easier to manage, but right now TSFPN is
                      > focused on the content. They are going through some growing pains, so
                      > when you make your suggestions/recommendations, just be constructive
                      > and positive (as you can) and remember it is a volunteer staff on board.

                      Tee -

                      Just my opinion (I have been a Webmaster for the past six years), but
                      usability trumps content. If you work outside of the tenets of
                      usability then people never get to the content. Trying to read black
                      text against a neon green background only convinces a headache to come
                      on. Additionally, a blue link against that background is even more
                      difficult (I'm not even mentioning the fact that the color to a
                      visited link does not change). I'll give them my opinion, but it
                      looks like they have already made the decision to disregard the person
                      viewing the site.

                      Cheers -

                      george
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 3, 2005
                        On 11/3/05, Tee Morris <tee@...> wrote:

                        > Just remember, folks, when you give your critique of TSFPN, be
                        > tactful and constructive.

                        I agree with this entirely. Rudeness is ineffective in most human
                        situations, but it's an especially bad idea when you want to persuade
                        someone to change something. My intent for my initial post was to
                        incite people to check out the site and share their opinions -- and
                        that seems to have worked -- but I really hope nobody took it as an
                        excuse to abuse the staff.

                        And Matthew Selznick said:

                        > The design of the PEN site is so garish and bad, so unfriendly, and so
                        > mis-representative of the variety of podcasts in the network, I think
                        > Steve assumed there were new owners?

                        Not to my knowledge. Mike Stackpole and Kat Klaybourne are the public
                        voices of the site, as they have been since it began. Digging deep
                        into the new site's press releases, it seems they both call themselves
                        "vice presidents," but I'm not sure if that means there's an unnamed
                        president or if they just decided to keep the titles equal.

                        I've met Mike Stackpole. He's a pretty good guy. I haven't met Kat,
                        but I have no quarrel with her. I didn't present my own opinions on
                        the list here, because I didn't want it to look like I was influencing
                        anybody, but I did write them a long and detailed post last night on
                        their private moderators' forum. The colors and fonts are pretty bad,
                        but I had issues with the redesign and rebranding that go beyond that.

                        They claim that they hired "consultants" who told them to go this
                        direction, and they seem pretty firm in their conviction that the new
                        site is a good idea. I knew I wouldn't convince them otherwise by
                        myself, but I'm hoping that if enough people -- both podcasters and
                        listeners -- share their honest opinions with them, they'll start to
                        think deeper than "Oh, this is just Steve Eley complaining again."

                        I'm taking the time to do all this because it matters to me. I
                        believe strongly in the *idea* of the Sci-Fi Podcast Network, and I
                        want them to succeed. Their success will help me and a lot of other
                        people. The network is supposed to help podcasters find listeners,
                        and listeners find what they want. Because it's topic-specific, it
                        stands a much better chance than most directories. But if this is the
                        face they're going to present to the world, they *can't* succeed.
                        That's not just a loss to their business, it's a loss to everyone.

                        To all who are trying to help TSFPN by giving your feedback or
                        spreading the word, thank you. Even if you disagree with me, and you
                        sent them a message saying "I love it!," thank you for caring.

                        http://www.escapepod.info
                      • Pat Cook
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 5, 2005
                          Hi everyone:

                          At 09:01 AM 11/3/2005, you wrote:
                          >Wow. Out of professional courtesy, I don't say this often, but that
                          >is just shockingly bad web design. And by that, I mean bad enough
                          >that I'd be embarrassed to be affiliated with them, or perhaps even
                          >to be caught with that page on my screen. It looks like an April
                          >Fools gag or some other awful self-parody.

                          If they move the whole design whereas it doesn't slide off the edge
                          of the screen, it'd be perfect. Probably not for a sci-fi network
                          though. But perfect nonetheless.

                          Just my opinion though. :)

                          Pat Cook
                          patspodcast@... (FEEDBACK EMAIL)