glass half full or empty? Pew report on teenage content creators

  • Les Posen
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2005
      Is this competition for current podcasters or an eager waiting audience?

      Source: http://www.pewinternet.org/PPF/r/166/report_display.asp

      "57% of Teen Internet Users Create, Remix or Share Content Online

      Half of Online Teens Download Music, One in Three Download Video; One
      in Five
      Have a Blog; One in Five Remix Others' Digital Material into Their Own
      Creations

      WASHINGTON, November 2, 2005- American teenagers today are utilizing the
      interactive capabilities of the internet as they create and share
      their own
      media creations. Fully half of all teens and 57% of teens who use the
      internet
      could be considered Content Creators. They have created a blog or
      webpage,
      posted original artwork, photography, stories or videos online or
      remixed
      online content into their own new creations.

      About 21 million or 87% of those ages 12-17 use the internet,
      according to a
      survey by the Pew Internet & American Life Project. The results
      highlight that
      this is a generation comfortable with content-creating technology.
      Teens are
      eager to share their thoughts, experiences, and creations with the wider
      internet population. Some key findings:

      * 33% of online teens share their own creative content online, such as
      artwork, photos, stories or videos.
      * 32% say that they have created or worked on webpages or blogs for
      others,
      including groups they belong to, friends or school assignments.
      * 22% report keeping their own personal webpage.
      * 19% of online teens keep a blog, and 38% of online teens read blogs.
      * 19% of internet-using teens say they remix content they find online
      into
      their own artistic creations.
    • Rishabh Kumar
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2005
        Quite interesting, considering the fact that I'm a teen myself creating a
        podcast

        --
        -Rishabh Kumar (AKA Shooby)
        A proud Mac Geek without a Mac ;)