Re: [podcasters] Voting and podcast stats

  • Unsigned Podcast/Paul
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 2, 2005
      --- Paula Berinstein <pberinstein@...>
      wrote:
      > You know, I usually agree with just about everything
      > Steve says, but I
      > disagree on this one. It isn't just about ego. It's
      > about visibility and
      > assessing whether your publicity methods are
      > working. I don't check my
      > numbers because of my ego; I check them to see if
      > I'm doing the right
      > things.

      I don't have the ego issue either. In fact, my longest
      show is 1 hour, and I am probably on it all of 5
      minutes. I use the show to promote unsigned artists. I
      say it is 55 minutes of music, and 5 minutes of me.
      Not very ego driven. My other show is a half hour, and
      I talk about news, and gear for podcasters and
      musicians.

      Everybody has their reasons. To generalize as to why
      people do certain things, well I find that
      egotistical;) But that is just my opinion.

      I too look at my numbers at least 3 times a week
      though, but I do it to see if a certain way of
      promoting my show is working. My plan is not to stroke
      an ego, but to see if my show can generate enough
      audience numbers to justify any type of financial gain
      for myself and the artists. That is the plan for the
      future. Right now, it is a slow process. But it is
      just what I expected. A slow but sure growth.

      Paul Puri
      Unsigned Podcast Network

      Skype:unsignedpodcast
      The site: http://www.unsignedpodcastnetwork.com/
      The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
      The feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/unsignedpodcast/dmMp
      The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast

      Promotion without shame.
      Podcasting Announcements
    • P. Dilly
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 3, 2005
        Podcast pickle origianlly had a 5 star rating method when we first started.
        The problem with it was that people would rate a podcast with a bad rating
        to lower it. Then by lowering it, they passed it and became a higher rated
        cast

        On 11/2/05, alex_nesbitt <alex_nesbitt@...> wrote:

        > We've been having a similar debate about how to rate/vote on
        > podcasts.
        >
        > We have used overall rating score, number of votes, number of
        > inclusions in My Podcast favorites and outbound hits ( all with ip
        > limits) to create lists of top ranked podcasts. I think we have two
        > (and maybe more) problems with our rankings. First, ratings are
        > based
        > on a 1-5 star scale and it's hard for a podcast that's been in the
        > directory awhile to maintain a perfect score. Second, none of these
        > measures take into account the number of days a podcast has been in
        > the directory. Old podcasts really get an advantage over new
        > podcasts
        > for total click throughs and total votes.
        >
        > Here's how I'm thinking of changing our overall ranking - we need
        > something that considers the curiosity factor (click throughs),
        > quality (ratings/reviews), quality of ratings (number of votes ) and
        > inclusion on favorite lists. Then we need to make sure we normalize
        > for the number of days on the site to take listing age out of the
        > equation.
        >
        > So something like clickthroughs/day*weighting factor
        > +votes*ratings/day*weighting factor +favorites/day*weighting factor
        >
        > What do you think about this idea?
        >
        > Alex
        > Digitalpodcast.com <http://Digitalpodcast.com>

        Gary Leland