Re: [podcasters] Voting and podcast stats

  • Paula Berinstein
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 2, 2005
      You know, I usually agree with just about everything Steve says, but I
      disagree on this one. It isn't just about ego. It's about visibility and
      assessing whether your publicity methods are working. I don't check my
      numbers because of my ego; I check them to see if I'm doing the right
      things.

      Paula

      > Quoting Stephen Eley <SFEley@...>:
      >
      > Well said.
      >
      > Dennis
      >

      > > I honestly believe it's entirely about ego. We all have egos, or we
      > > wouldn't be podcasting. I check many numbers associated with my
      > > podcast far more often than they can do me any good. Nothing wrong
      > > with ego. The fallacy would be in thinking that *my* urge to feed my
      > > ego is a compelling reason for somebody else to act on something.
      > >

      > > --
      > > Have Fun,
      > > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
      > > ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine
      > > http://www.escapepod.info
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > --
      > Dennis Hays
      > Secrets of Digital Imaging Audio Magazine
      > http://www.imagingsecrets.com
      > http://www.haysdesign.com
      > +1 518.479.4220

    • P. Dilly
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 3, 2005
        Podcast pickle origianlly had a 5 star rating method when we first started.
        The problem with it was that people would rate a podcast with a bad rating
        to lower it. Then by lowering it, they passed it and became a higher rated
        cast

        On 11/2/05, alex_nesbitt <alex_nesbitt@...> wrote:

        > We've been having a similar debate about how to rate/vote on
        > podcasts.
        >
        > We have used overall rating score, number of votes, number of
        > inclusions in My Podcast favorites and outbound hits ( all with ip
        > limits) to create lists of top ranked podcasts. I think we have two
        > (and maybe more) problems with our rankings. First, ratings are
        > based
        > on a 1-5 star scale and it's hard for a podcast that's been in the
        > directory awhile to maintain a perfect score. Second, none of these
        > measures take into account the number of days a podcast has been in
        > the directory. Old podcasts really get an advantage over new
        > podcasts
        > for total click throughs and total votes.
        >
        > Here's how I'm thinking of changing our overall ranking - we need
        > something that considers the curiosity factor (click throughs),
        > quality (ratings/reviews), quality of ratings (number of votes ) and
        > inclusion on favorite lists. Then we need to make sure we normalize
        > for the number of days on the site to take listing age out of the
        > equation.
        >
        > So something like clickthroughs/day*weighting factor
        > +votes*ratings/day*weighting factor +favorites/day*weighting factor
        >
        > What do you think about this idea?
        >
        > Alex
        > Digitalpodcast.com <http://Digitalpodcast.com>

        Gary Leland