Re: [podcasters] Voting and podcast stats

  • Paula Berinstein
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 2, 2005
      Exactly. Votes are a form of ranking, and I think we all know that when
      you're highly ranked in a directory, you float to the top where people
      can see that you exist. That's why people name companies with words
      starting with "A" (which I wish I'd thought about when naming my shows,
      but oh well).

      Paula

      Paula Berinstein
      The Writing Show, where writing is always the story
      http://www.writingshow.com

      The Southern California Real Estate Show
      http://www.southerncaliforniarealestateshow.com

      > IMO, voting gets you to the top of some "scale" where more
      > potential listeners can see you exist and try out your
      > podcast. Other than that, and some ego strokes, what else
      > does voting do for a podcaster?
      >
      > Dennis
      > --
      > Dennis Hays
      > Secrets of Digital Imaging
      > http://www.imagingsecrets.com
      > Photo News Today
      > http://www.photonewstoday.com

    • P. Dilly
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 3, 2005
        Podcast pickle origianlly had a 5 star rating method when we first started.
        The problem with it was that people would rate a podcast with a bad rating
        to lower it. Then by lowering it, they passed it and became a higher rated
        cast

        On 11/2/05, alex_nesbitt <alex_nesbitt@...> wrote:

        > We've been having a similar debate about how to rate/vote on
        > podcasts.
        >
        > We have used overall rating score, number of votes, number of
        > inclusions in My Podcast favorites and outbound hits ( all with ip
        > limits) to create lists of top ranked podcasts. I think we have two
        > (and maybe more) problems with our rankings. First, ratings are
        > based
        > on a 1-5 star scale and it's hard for a podcast that's been in the
        > directory awhile to maintain a perfect score. Second, none of these
        > measures take into account the number of days a podcast has been in
        > the directory. Old podcasts really get an advantage over new
        > podcasts
        > for total click throughs and total votes.
        >
        > Here's how I'm thinking of changing our overall ranking - we need
        > something that considers the curiosity factor (click throughs),
        > quality (ratings/reviews), quality of ratings (number of votes ) and
        > inclusion on favorite lists. Then we need to make sure we normalize
        > for the number of days on the site to take listing age out of the
        > equation.
        >
        > So something like clickthroughs/day*weighting factor
        > +votes*ratings/day*weighting factor +favorites/day*weighting factor
        >
        > What do you think about this idea?
        >
        > Alex
        > Digitalpodcast.com <http://Digitalpodcast.com>

        Gary Leland