Re: [podcasters] Voting and podcast stats

    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 2, 2005
      On 11/2/05, Dennis Hays <dhays@...> wrote:

      > On some other niche podcasts, such as D&D, the listeners may
      > feel a Maslow thing -- feeling of belong-ness to a grooup of
      > like-minded people, so they vote.

      Coincidentally, the point in June at which Dawn and Drew started
      saying "We need to stay on top of the iTunes rankings! So please,
      subscribe to us on iTunes, and then _listen_ to us on whatever
      podcatcher you feel like..." was within a couple weeks of my
      unsubscribing to them.

      > IMO, voting gets you to the top of some "scale" where more
      > potential listeners can see you exist and try out your
      > podcast. Other than that, and some ego strokes, what else
      > does voting do for a podcaster?

      Well, earlier this year, it looked for a while like reporters were
      using the Podcast Alley Top 10 to determine which podcasters to
      contact for news stories & such. I doubt this is true any more. (And
      I've been fairly vocal in my opinion that Podcast Alley has made
      itself irrelevant to the podcast community in the last several
      months.)

      I honestly believe it's entirely about ego. We all have egos, or we
      wouldn't be podcasting. I check many numbers associated with my
      podcast far more often than they can do me any good. Nothing wrong
      with ego. The fallacy would be in thinking that *my* urge to feed my
      ego is a compelling reason for somebody else to act on something.

      http://www.escapepod.info
    • P. Dilly
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 3, 2005
        Podcast pickle origianlly had a 5 star rating method when we first started.
        The problem with it was that people would rate a podcast with a bad rating
        to lower it. Then by lowering it, they passed it and became a higher rated
        cast

        On 11/2/05, alex_nesbitt <alex_nesbitt@...> wrote:

        > We've been having a similar debate about how to rate/vote on
        > podcasts.
        >
        > We have used overall rating score, number of votes, number of
        > inclusions in My Podcast favorites and outbound hits ( all with ip
        > limits) to create lists of top ranked podcasts. I think we have two
        > (and maybe more) problems with our rankings. First, ratings are
        > based
        > on a 1-5 star scale and it's hard for a podcast that's been in the
        > directory awhile to maintain a perfect score. Second, none of these
        > measures take into account the number of days a podcast has been in
        > the directory. Old podcasts really get an advantage over new
        > podcasts
        > for total click throughs and total votes.
        >
        > Here's how I'm thinking of changing our overall ranking - we need
        > something that considers the curiosity factor (click throughs),
        > quality (ratings/reviews), quality of ratings (number of votes ) and
        > inclusion on favorite lists. Then we need to make sure we normalize
        > for the number of days on the site to take listing age out of the
        > equation.
        >
        > So something like clickthroughs/day*weighting factor
        > +votes*ratings/day*weighting factor +favorites/day*weighting factor
        >
        > What do you think about this idea?
        >
        > Alex
        > Digitalpodcast.com <http://Digitalpodcast.com>

        Gary Leland