Re: [podcasters] Voting and podcast stats

  • Garrick Van Buren
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 1, 2005
      I agree - the only useful ranking is at the episode level (did you
      enjoy this installment more or less than the previous one). Ranking
      the First Crack Podcast against the Escape Pod is like ranking
      meatloaf against a lawn mower. It makes no sense.

      > On 11/1/05, Chris Paulus <paulusc@...> wrote:
      > > It seems as though there are so many places to go to vote for your
      > > favorite podcast. Will there ever be a centralized location to vote
      > > for different podcasts?
      >
      > I doubt it. What would be the incentive for competing directories to
      > consolidate? And this begs the obvious question, "Why vote for
      > podcasts?"
      >
      > I've never understood the fascination podcasters have with this stuff.
      > I don't vote for my favorite TV shows or video games. Book authors
      > aren't begging me to go to Paperback Alley and cast my vote for their
      > novel each month so they can knock Tom Clancy out of the Top 10. If
      > I'm sufficiently motivated, I might comment on something that
      > entertains me or write a review of it somewhere, but if somebody tried
      > to tell me how and where to write that review, that'd be a turnoff.
      >
      > I realize that many people disagree with me, and that's fine. Many
      > podcasters whom I listen to and respect plead for votes on various
      > sites all the time. I listen to them *despite* that, not because of
      > it. My enjoyment of their other content exceeds my annoyance at the
      > distraction.
      >
      > I've never asked for votes anywhere. I've gotten votes anyway, and I
      > appreciate the consideration, but what I've *asked* is for my
      > listeners to tell their friends if they liked us. Oddly enough, my
      > podcast is doing just fine.
      >
      > --
      > Have Fun,
      > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
      > http://www.escapepod.info

      Garrick Van Buren
      garrick.vanburen@...
      ph: 612 325 9110
      First Crack Podcast
      http://firstcrackpodcast.com/

      gFeed - all my writing in one place
      http://garrickvanburen.com/gfeed/

      PodcastMN - The Sound of Minnesota
      http://podcastmn.com/

      Garrick's Podcast Picks
      http://gigadial.com/public/station/9454
    • P. Dilly
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 3, 2005
        Podcast pickle origianlly had a 5 star rating method when we first started.
        The problem with it was that people would rate a podcast with a bad rating
        to lower it. Then by lowering it, they passed it and became a higher rated
        cast

        On 11/2/05, alex_nesbitt <alex_nesbitt@...> wrote:

        > We've been having a similar debate about how to rate/vote on
        > podcasts.
        >
        > We have used overall rating score, number of votes, number of
        > inclusions in My Podcast favorites and outbound hits ( all with ip
        > limits) to create lists of top ranked podcasts. I think we have two
        > (and maybe more) problems with our rankings. First, ratings are
        > based
        > on a 1-5 star scale and it's hard for a podcast that's been in the
        > directory awhile to maintain a perfect score. Second, none of these
        > measures take into account the number of days a podcast has been in
        > the directory. Old podcasts really get an advantage over new
        > podcasts
        > for total click throughs and total votes.
        >
        > Here's how I'm thinking of changing our overall ranking - we need
        > something that considers the curiosity factor (click throughs),
        > quality (ratings/reviews), quality of ratings (number of votes ) and
        > inclusion on favorite lists. Then we need to make sure we normalize
        > for the number of days on the site to take listing age out of the
        > equation.
        >
        > So something like clickthroughs/day*weighting factor
        > +votes*ratings/day*weighting factor +favorites/day*weighting factor
        >
        > What do you think about this idea?
        >
        > Alex
        > Digitalpodcast.com <http://Digitalpodcast.com>

        Gary Leland