Re: [podcasters] Voting and podcast stats

    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 1, 2005
      On 11/1/05, Chris Paulus <paulusc@...> wrote:
      > It seems as though there are so many places to go to vote for your
      > favorite podcast. Will there ever be a centralized location to vote
      > for different podcasts?

      I doubt it. What would be the incentive for competing directories to
      consolidate? And this begs the obvious question, "Why vote for
      podcasts?"

      I've never understood the fascination podcasters have with this stuff.
      I don't vote for my favorite TV shows or video games. Book authors
      aren't begging me to go to Paperback Alley and cast my vote for their
      novel each month so they can knock Tom Clancy out of the Top 10. If
      I'm sufficiently motivated, I might comment on something that
      entertains me or write a review of it somewhere, but if somebody tried
      to tell me how and where to write that review, that'd be a turnoff.

      I realize that many people disagree with me, and that's fine. Many
      podcasters whom I listen to and respect plead for votes on various
      sites all the time. I listen to them *despite* that, not because of
      it. My enjoyment of their other content exceeds my annoyance at the
      distraction.

      I've never asked for votes anywhere. I've gotten votes anyway, and I
      appreciate the consideration, but what I've *asked* is for my
      listeners to tell their friends if they liked us. Oddly enough, my
      podcast is doing just fine.

      http://www.escapepod.info
    • P. Dilly
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 3, 2005
        Podcast pickle origianlly had a 5 star rating method when we first started.
        The problem with it was that people would rate a podcast with a bad rating
        to lower it. Then by lowering it, they passed it and became a higher rated
        cast

        On 11/2/05, alex_nesbitt <alex_nesbitt@...> wrote:

        > We've been having a similar debate about how to rate/vote on
        > podcasts.
        >
        > We have used overall rating score, number of votes, number of
        > inclusions in My Podcast favorites and outbound hits ( all with ip
        > limits) to create lists of top ranked podcasts. I think we have two
        > (and maybe more) problems with our rankings. First, ratings are
        > based
        > on a 1-5 star scale and it's hard for a podcast that's been in the
        > directory awhile to maintain a perfect score. Second, none of these
        > measures take into account the number of days a podcast has been in
        > the directory. Old podcasts really get an advantage over new
        > podcasts
        > for total click throughs and total votes.
        >
        > Here's how I'm thinking of changing our overall ranking - we need
        > something that considers the curiosity factor (click throughs),
        > quality (ratings/reviews), quality of ratings (number of votes ) and
        > inclusion on favorite lists. Then we need to make sure we normalize
        > for the number of days on the site to take listing age out of the
        > equation.
        >
        > So something like clickthroughs/day*weighting factor
        > +votes*ratings/day*weighting factor +favorites/day*weighting factor
        >
        > What do you think about this idea?
        >
        > Alex
        > Digitalpodcast.com <http://Digitalpodcast.com>

        Gary Leland