video podcast with .mp4 files?

  • Erik Herz
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 1, 2005
      I created a test podcast with standard Mp4 video files
      with the .mp4 file format and extension and it worked
      in iTunes but did not transfer to the video ipod.

      Here is my test video podcast:
      http://webcastinabox.com/vpod/podcast.xml

      The specs say it supports .mp4 files:
      http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html

      Has anyone else made or seen a video podcast with .mp4
      files rather than .mov files?

      I was told to use Quicktime Pro exported .mov files
      but I am trying to get it to work with another
      standards-based mp4 encoder instead.

      Erik
    • robert
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 1, 2005
        Keith and the Girl - 164 Shows at about an hour each.

        So that is 9,840 Minutes.

        Adam Curry has averaged about 40 Minutes a show = 10,840 Minutes.

        Rob W
        podCast411

        On Nov 1, 2005, at 4:19 PM, Brian Noe wrote:

        > the maccast is almost at 100 shows (congratulations adam!)
        >
        > daily source code was number 271 today
        >
        > dawn and drew are at 178 (not counting the videos)

      • Peter Mezensky
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 1, 2005
          Well, I only have about 10 shows under my belt but with over
          43,342,456.004 subscribers in the eastern United States alone, I am
          now taking the title of 'America's Favorite Podcast'.
          -peter

          --

          http://www.musicNerve.com - strange music for strange people (and
          America's favorite podcast)
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 1, 2005
            The Richard Vobes Radio Show - Show 285 about 40 minutes on average
            every day = 11,400 minutes :)

            Pete

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, robert <news@p...> wrote:

            > Keith and the Girl - 164 Shows at about an hour each.
            >
            > So that is 9,840 Minutes.
            >
            > Adam Curry has averaged about 40 Minutes a show = 10,840 Minutes.
            >

            > Rob W
            > podCast411
            >

            > On Nov 1, 2005, at 4:19 PM, Brian Noe wrote:
            >
            > > the maccast is almost at 100 shows (congratulations adam!)
            > >
            > > daily source code was number 271 today
            > >
            > > dawn and drew are at 178 (not counting the videos)

          • mr strauss
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 1, 2005
              I'm sure most of those 43 million subscribers heard about you on Vox
              Monitor.

              Peter Mezensky wrote:

              >Well, I only have about 10 shows under my belt but with over
              >43,342,456.004 subscribers in the eastern United States alone, I am
              >now taking the title of 'America's Favorite Podcast'.
              >-peter
              >
              >--
              >
              >http://www.musicNerve.com - strange music for strange people (and
              >America's favorite podcast)

            • sunyhg
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 1, 2005
                Sorry guys, but I have 10 shows with 1.5 billion subscribers ;-)
                With all listening to a hockey podcast.....LOL

                Al
                WildHockeyFan PodCast
                > Well, I only have about 10 shows under my belt but with over
                > 43,342,456.004 subscribers in the eastern United States alone, I am
                > now taking the title of 'America's Favorite Podcast'.
                > -peter
                >
                > --
                >
                > http://www.musicNerve.com - strange music for strange people (and
                > America's favorite podcast)

              • Brian Noe
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 1, 2005
                  it's that .004 that puts a cast over the top!

                  :^)

                  On 11/1/05, Peter Mezensky <peter@...> wrote:

                  > Well, I only have about 10 shows under my belt but with over
                  > 43,342,456.004 subscribers in the eastern United States alone, I am
                  > now taking the title of 'America's Favorite Podcast'.
                  > -peter
                  >
                  > --
                  >
                  > http://www.musicNerve.com - strange music for strange people (and
                  > America's favorite podcast)

                • Allen Weiner
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 1, 2005
                    All of my video is shot in MPEG4 and easily uploaded them to my video Ipod. Are you manually adding them to the iTunes library? Sometimes you need that step.

                    Allen Weiner Research Vice President Gartner Industries Research Check out my blog: http://whatsontonight.blogware.com If you'd like an invite to join Yahoo! 360, send me an email. allen_weiner@... Skype: allenweiner

                    I created a test podcast with standard Mp4 video files
                    with the .mp4 file format and extension and it worked
                    in iTunes but did not transfer to the video ipod.

                    Here is my test video podcast:
                    http://webcastinabox.com/vpod/podcast.xml

                    The specs say it supports .mp4 files:
                    http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html

                    Has anyone else made or seen a video podcast with .mp4
                    files rather than .mov files?

                    I was told to use Quicktime Pro exported .mov files
                    but I am trying to get it to work with another
                    standards-based mp4 encoder instead.

                    Erik

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    Visit your group "podcasters" on the web.

                  • mr strauss
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 1, 2005
                      A much more interesting question, of course, is who has put out the most
                      minutes of GOOD content.

                      Peter Haycock wrote:

                      >The Richard Vobes Radio Show - Show 285 about 40 minutes on average
                      >every day = 11,400 minutes :)
                      >
                      >Pete
                      >
                      >--- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, robert <news@p...> wrote:
                      >

                      >>Keith and the Girl - 164 Shows at about an hour each.
                      >>
                      >>So that is 9,840 Minutes.
                      >>
                      >>Adam Curry has averaged about 40 Minutes a show = 10,840 Minutes.
                      >>

                      >>Rob W
                      >>podCast411
                      >>

                      >>On Nov 1, 2005, at 4:19 PM, Brian Noe wrote:
                      >>

                      >>>the maccast is almost at 100 shows (congratulations adam!)
                      >>>
                      >>>daily source code was number 271 today
                      >>>
                      >>>dawn and drew are at 178 (not counting the videos)
                      >>>

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Unsigned Podcast/Paul
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 1, 2005
                        --- Brian Noe <noebie@...> wrote:
                        > it's that .004 that puts a cast over the top!

                        ya, but how do they handle the bandwidth bill?

                        ;)

                        Paul Puri
                        Unsigned Podcast Network

                        Skype:unsignedpodcast
                        The site: http://www.unsignedpodcastnetwork.com/
                        The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
                        The feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/unsignedpodcast/dmMp
                        The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast

                        Promotion without shame.
                        Podcasting Announcements
                      • Peter Mezensky
                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 1, 2005
                          I think it was after you reviewed me on vox monitor that I picked up the .004 :p

                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 1, 2005
                            bah-zing! zingah!

                            Peter Mezensky wrote:

                            >I think it was after you reviewed me on vox monitor that I picked up the .004 :p
                            >

                            >On 11/1/05, mr strauss <mrstrauss@...> wrote:
                            >

                            >>I'm sure most of those 43 million subscribers heard about you on Vox
                            >>Monitor.
                            >>

                            >--
                            >
                            >http://www.musicNerve.com - strange music for strange people

                            >.

                          • Rishabh Kumar
                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 1, 2005
                              Libsyn!
                              -Shooby
                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 1, 2005
                                On 11/1/05, mr strauss <mrstrauss@...> wrote:
                                > A much more interesting question, of course, is who has put out the most
                                > minutes of GOOD content.

                                By quantity? I have no idea.

                                By ratio? Podictionary. It's two excellent minutes every day, and it
                                achieves exactly what the podcaster intends.

                                http://www.escapepod.info
                              • Rishabh Kumar
                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 1, 2005
                                  Wow, I've been podcasting since March, but in total probably have only done
                                  about 98 shows. I need to get my act together lol...I blame school

                                  --
                                  -Rishabh Kumar (AKA Shooby)
                                  A proud Mac Geek without a Mac ;)

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 2, 2005
                                    Yeah you should probably drop out. Where are your priorities?

                                    -m

                                    On 11/2/05, Rishabh Kumar <mr.shooby@...> wrote:

                                    > Wow, I've been podcasting since March, but in total probably have only
                                    > done
                                    > about 98 shows. I need to get my act together lol...I blame school
                                    >
                                    > On 11/1/05, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > On 11/1/05, mr strauss <mrstrauss@...> wrote:
                                    > > > A much more interesting question, of course, is who has put out the
                                    > most
                                    > > > minutes of GOOD content.
                                    > >
                                    > > By quantity? I have no idea.
                                    > >
                                    > > By ratio? Podictionary. It's two excellent minutes every day, and it
                                    > > achieves exactly what the podcaster intends.
                                    > >

                                    > > --
                                    > > Have Fun,
                                    > > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
                                    > > ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine
                                    > > http://www.escapepod.info

                                    > > ------------------------------
                                    > >

                                    > --
                                    > -Rishabh Kumar (AKA Shooby)
                                    > A proud Mac Geek without a Mac ;)
                                    > Check out my podcast at http://theshoobyshow.com

                                    -m
                                    http://www.secretelite.com/michael

                                  • Tim Baker
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Nov 2, 2005
                                      At 00:56 02/11/2005, mr strauss wrote:
                                      >A much more interesting question, of course, is who has put out the most
                                      >minutes of GOOD content.

                                      seconded...been going nearly a year as a weekly show and just passed
                                      the 50 mark - show 51 is the current one. Certainly it seems shows
                                      that are more regular and frequent tend to have more listeners, or a
                                      more mobile listenership; but I never want to hurry a show because of
                                      that - it takes time to produce a good show and even though I have
                                      had requests to do it more frequently, they aint paying my wages :-D

                                      So the most shows with consistently good content (well thought out,
                                      well produced, always got something new to say/do/play) I'd say Feast
                                      of Fools (187 shows), Lucky Bitch Radio (157 shows) Coverville(143)
                                      and Bicyclemark (78 shows).

                                      Tim

                                      Radio Clash http://www.mutantpop.net/radioclash/
                                    • Chris Cochran
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Nov 2, 2005
                                        The Overnightscape Podcast has been around for a VERY long time...Now
                                        up to episode 318. In fact Frank Edward Nora was doing his show back
                                        when there was no podcasting, he was simply doing an audio blog.

                                        It is a 30 minute show...that is 159 hours. Not the most time but
                                        definitely up there.

                                        On Nov 2, 2005, at 3:06 AM, Tim Baker wrote:

                                        > At 00:56 02/11/2005, mr strauss wrote:
                                        >> A much more interesting question, of course, is who has put out
                                        >> the most
                                        >> minutes of GOOD content.
                                        >
                                        > seconded...been going nearly a year as a weekly show and just passed
                                        > the 50 mark - show 51 is the current one. Certainly it seems shows
                                        > that are more regular and frequent tend to have more listeners, or a
                                        > more mobile listenership; but I never want to hurry a show because of
                                        > that - it takes time to produce a good show and even though I have
                                        > had requests to do it more frequently, they aint paying my wages :-D
                                        >
                                        > So the most shows with consistently good content (well thought out,
                                        > well produced, always got something new to say/do/play) I'd say Feast
                                        > of Fools (187 shows), Lucky Bitch Radio (157 shows) Coverville(143)
                                        > and Bicyclemark (78 shows).
                                        >
                                        > Tim
                                        >
                                        > Radio Clash http://www.mutantpop.net/radioclash/

                                        > ~-->
                                        > Get Bzzzy! (real tools to help you find a job). Welcome to the
                                        > Sweet Life.
                                        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/26EolB/TM

                                      • Doug Kaye
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Nov 2, 2005
                                          I don't know if a team podcast counts, but here at IT Conversations
                                          show #819 is the latest in our production queue.

                                          And I don't blame you if you think that's cheating. :-)

                                          ...doug

                                          Doug Kaye, Executive Producer
                                          IT Conversations
                                          doug@...
                                          v: 415.453.1400
                                        • Les Posen
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Nov 2, 2005
                                            Sorry, Doug, I've never thought to compare IT Conversations with what
                                            followed and became known as podcasts.

                                            For me, it was always you and Chris Lydon leading the parade, when
                                            both Adam C and Dave W were guests of Lydon, and you were already
                                            doing IT conversations.

                                            We're talking major and minor leagues here, and comparisons are odious.

                                            Les
                                            On 03/11/2005, at 3:33 AM, Doug Kaye wrote:

                                            > I don't know if a team podcast counts, but here at IT Conversations
                                            > show #819 is the latest in our production queue.
                                            >
                                            > And I don't blame you if you think that's cheating. :-)
                                            >
                                            > ...doug
                                            >
                                            > Doug Kaye, Executive Producer
                                            > IT Conversations
                                            > doug@...
                                            > v: 415.453.1400

                                            > ~-->
                                            > Get Bzzzy! (real tools to help you find a job). Welcome to the
                                            > Sweet Life.
                                            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/26EolB/TM

                                          • Michael Ridley
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Nov 2, 2005
                                              I dunno if it counts or not, but IT Conversations rocks my socks. I
                                              subscribe to your whole feed and listen to as much of it as I can (except
                                              for Tech Nation, never been a fan of TN the radio show or the podcast). All
                                              the great conference talks and interviews though...awesome! Thanks for the
                                              great service, and thanks so much to your content providers for allowing you
                                              to distribute it.

                                              -m

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Nov 2, 2005
                                                --- Michael Ridley <michaelridley@...> wrote:
                                                > I dunno if it counts or not, but IT Conversations
                                                > rocks my socks. I
                                                > subscribe to your whole feed and listen to as much
                                                > of it as I can (except
                                                > for Tech Nation, never been a fan of TN the radio
                                                > show or the podcast). All
                                                > the great conference talks and interviews
                                                > though...awesome! Thanks for the
                                                > great service, and thanks so much to your content
                                                > providers for allowing you
                                                > to distribute it.

                                                Ya, I have to second that. I subscribe to all shows as
                                                well and enjoy every one of them.

                                                Paul Puri
                                                Unsigned Podcast Network

                                                Skype:unsignedpodcast
                                                The site: http://www.unsignedpodcastnetwork.com/
                                                The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
                                                The feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/unsignedpodcast/dmMp
                                                The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast

                                                Promotion without shame.
                                                Podcasting Announcements
                                              • Pat Cook
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Nov 5, 2005
                                                  Hi everyone:

                                                  At 05:37 PM 11/1/2005, you wrote:
                                                  >All of my video is shot in MPEG4 and easily uploaded them to my
                                                  >video Ipod. Are you manually adding them to the iTunes library?
                                                  >Sometimes you need that step.

                                                  Both of you should check out the Video Bloggers group @
                                                  informative answers there than you can here (Not to say the info.
                                                  here is bad BUT...) :)

                                                  Hope this helps :)

                                                  Cheers for now :)

                                                  Pat Cook