Compression 101

  • Jesse Thorn
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2005
      Thanks to Paul at podcastrigs.com for this link... this is a really
      straightforward, readable description of what compression is and how to
      use it. Very valuable, particularly for podcasts that involve multiple
      sound sources and/or telephone interviews:
      http://www.dbxpro.com/ftp_mirror/PDFs/WhitePapers/Compression%20101.pdf

      Jesse
      The Sound of Young America
      http://www.maximumfun.org
    • mr strauss
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2005
        regarding compression...

        In a recent Vox Monitor, we did something rather fun. We coordinated
        with a high school in Adrian Missouri, of all places. A teacher there,
        Mr. Sears, had given his English class an assignment to "write, produce
        and upload a podcast, one episode." He then sent the student podcasts -
        7 in all, as the students worked in groups - to us, and we reviewed them
        in the usual Vox Monitor fashion, with clips etc.

        Anyhow, it turned out to be a very fun show, and the kids were all very
        excited about it. The teacher recorded the classtoom discussion
        afterwards and we got to listen to that.

        But the point is, during that episode, which is easily found at
        www.voxmonitor.com, we gave a little, quick and dirty overview about
        compression - what it is and how to use it.

        thanks,

        eric
        eric@...
        www.voxmonitor.com

        Jesse Thorn wrote:

        >Thanks to Paul at podcastrigs.com for this link... this is a really
        >straightforward, readable description of what compression is and how to
        >use it. Very valuable, particularly for podcasts that involve multiple
        >sound sources and/or telephone interviews:
        >http://www.dbxpro.com/ftp_mirror/PDFs/WhitePapers/Compression%20101.pdf
        >
        >Jesse
        >The Sound of Young America
        >http://www.maximumfun.org