Redirecting from Libsyn to Feedburner?

  • Jesse Thorn
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
      Any solutions to this conundrum...

      Many of my listeners appear to be accessing my feed through it's
      source, tsoya.libsyn.com/rss . To counteract this, I set my libsyn
      feed to redirect to the Feedburner feed at feeds.feedburner.com/tsoya .

      Of course, this was a disaster, since it made the whole thing
      recursive... I thought Feedburner generated a new feed, rather than
      just referring to the old one.

      So, is there any way to get all my listeners to go through feedburner
      automatically?

      Jesse
      The Sound of Young America
      http://www.maximumfun.org
    • J Wynia

        I'm increasingly becoming an advocate of the "public" address of a
        feed being nothing but an alias on a domain you own. That single,
        immutable address isn't tied to any single service, any sort of
        dependencies, etc. I use an alias tool I wrote myself (link below to
        BSD licensed script) that lets you create entirely abitrary URL's for
        any other URL you like. It's like TinyURL, but you get to make up the
        URL's. Using a tool like that or any of the other similar tools out
        there, you can create permanent URL's to include in iTunes (or even a
        specific iTunes URL), Yahoo or other places. You can create any number
        of them, even if today they all point to the same place. Then, if you
        change services or want to redirect, you only change the alias and
        none of the big directories need to change anything. For instance,
        right now, http://www.wynia.org/rss2.php points to my Wordpress feed,
        but I could switch it to Feedburner tomorrow and this email's archived
        version in Yahoo Groups will still be "correct" and point to a
        relevant RSS 2.0 feed.

        This is also advice I give to people who are using blogging services
        as well. Even if you want to use Blogger, getting a domain means your
        site is completely portable for as long as you renew the domain. You
        can move the thing around, but everyone who didn't know you moved
        needs to do absolutely nothing to find you. All of the old links are
        still valid. URL's are really just names and not locations. However,
        if you don't control the names, you can't control what they point to.

        Given the exceedingly low cost of an annual domain registration
        ($8/yr) and basic hosting for text-only content, email and these kinds
        of redirects (often $25-75/yr), it becomes a ready solution to lots of
        problems. It also gives you email addresses you can use forever, etc.
        and is one of the best returns on investment I can point to when
        working with internet technologies.

        *My script is called CamoAlias and is free to be used, even
        commercially. It requires Apache, PHP and MySQL.
        http://www.wynia.org/software/camoalias.html

        Jesse Thorn wrote:

        > Any solutions to this conundrum...
        >
        > Many of my listeners appear to be accessing my feed through it's
        > source, tsoya.libsyn.com/rss . To counteract this, I set my libsyn
        > feed to redirect to the Feedburner feed at
        > feeds.feedburner.com/tsoya .
        >
        > Of course, this was a disaster, since it made the whole thing
        > recursive... I thought Feedburner generated a new feed, rather than
        > just referring to the old one.
        >
        > So, is there any way to get all my listeners to go through
        > feedburner automatically?
        >
        > Jesse The Sound of Young America http://www.maximumfun.org

        - --
        J Wynia
        The Glass is Too Big
        http://www.wynia.org
        j@...
      • Jesse Thorn
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
          This is awesome advice, with two provisos:

          A) I am not a "phpgeek" in the slightest, so can I implement this
          myself with only a basic knowledge of HTML and whatnot? I'm not
          retarded, just unskilled.

          B) What if your feed *isn't* new? I'd love to have a feed at my home
          domain that points to feedburner, which in turn points to Libsyn (or
          whatever I want it to point to). But I already have all the
          directories (and all of my 2000+ subscribers) pointing to my
          feedburner. So how do I change without rocking the boat?

          Jesse
          The Sound of Young America
          http://www.maximumfun.org
        • Liberated Syndication Support
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
            Hey Jesse,

            Libsyn put in a fix today, so that the infinite loop between us and
            feedburner doesn't happen any more.
            You can now have the libsyn feed redirect to your feedburner feed for
            any folks that subscribe to that feed, and when feedburner calls to
            that feed, they get the proper information. You can reactivate the
            feed forwarding in your account.
            Thanks

            Dave Mansueto
            skype: tacomancini
            On Oct 29, 2005, at 3:42 PM, Jesse Thorn wrote:

            > Any solutions to this conundrum...
            >
            > Many of my listeners appear to be accessing my feed through it's
            > source, tsoya.libsyn.com/rss . To counteract this, I set my libsyn
            > feed to redirect to the Feedburner feed at feeds.feedburner.com/
            > tsoya .
            >
            > Of course, this was a disaster, since it made the whole thing
            > recursive... I thought Feedburner generated a new feed, rather than
            > just referring to the old one.
            >
            > So, is there any way to get all my listeners to go through feedburner
            > automatically?
            >
            > Jesse
            > The Sound of Young America
            > http://www.maximumfun.org

            > ~-->
            > Get Bzzzy! (real tools to help you find a job). Welcome to the
            > Sweet Life.
            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/26EolB/TM

          • J Wynia

              Pretty much anyone who can install any other PHP script can install
              mine. I can also step you through it if you have difficulty. There is
              a more detailed explanation of setting it up on my site at:
              http://www.wynia.org/articles/camoalias.html (which is itself an alias
              like the ones I'm talking about).

              As for your second question, to a certain point, you can redirect all
              over the place. You may have run into a browser error of "too many
              redirects", which usually means someone exceeded that limit. In
              practice, that doesn't happen very often without an infinite loop. In
              practice, as long as you can insert a redirect between the URL you're
              giving out and the final resting place of the actual RSS feed or MP3,
              this will work.

              For instance, you can have feedburner as the public URL. Feedburner
              itself is pointed to a back end URL, which can actually be your alias
              that in turn redirects to wherever the real feed is sitting. In
              practice, Feedburner actually only fetches every once in a while, so
              there won't be the cascading series of redirects on every request.

              However, if you host your feed and your mp3's on Libsyn and give that
              direct URL out or something similar on a regular web hosting account,
              you're probably going to have to deal with sending out new URL's, but
              only once. As soon as you decouple the URL from the location that the
              information is actually stored, you shouldn't ever need to do it
              again. Meaning if you are thinking about it, now's the time since it
              will be harder later.

              And, for podcasts, I'd do this for not only the feed, but the URLs on
              the mp3s as well.

              Jesse Thorn wrote:

              > This is awesome advice, with two provisos:
              >
              > A) I am not a "phpgeek" in the slightest, so can I implement this
              > myself with only a basic knowledge of HTML and whatnot? I'm not
              > retarded, just unskilled.
              >
              > B) What if your feed *isn't* new? I'd love to have a feed at my
              > home domain that points to feedburner, which in turn points to
              > Libsyn (or whatever I want it to point to). But I already have all
              > the directories (and all of my 2000+ subscribers) pointing to my
              > feedburner. So how do I change without rocking the boat?
              >
              > Jesse The Sound of Young America http://www.maximumfun.org

              - --
              J Wynia
              The Glass is Too Big
              http://www.wynia.org
              j@...
            • J Wynia
              • bluejack
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 30, 2005
                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, J Wynia <j@w...> wrote:
                  > Oh, and in case you're looking for something much more simple than
                  > what I use, you can literally set something up that's this simple at
                  > http://yoursite.com/podcast.php, in a file called podcast.php:
                  >
                  > <?php
                  > header("Location: http://www.feedburner.com/yourfeed");
                  > ?>
                  >
                  > and that's all it takes for http://yoursite.com/podcast.php to be a
                  > redirect to your Feedburner feed.

                  I completely agree that this is the best way to set up a feed to
                  ensure permanent control over the resource, however it doesn't
                  actually address the original problem: if you have multiple valid
                  feeds, even though only one is "authorized" -- what's to stop people
                  from accessing an unauthorized one.

                  And the answer seems to be: nothing, unless you can keep the other
                  sources secret -- or don't have multiple sources.

                  Running your own feed -- a real one, not a redirect -- and then
                  blocking feeds from hosting companies such as libsyn seems to be the
                  only real solution.

                  By the way, why would you use feedburner as an overlay on libsyn's
                  feed in the first place? What is the value add there?

                  (Yes, I work with the libsyn guys on some stuff, and yes I'm curious
                  what we could improve to make the extra hop to feedburner unecessary.)
                • Jesse Thorn
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 31, 2005
                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "bluejack" <bluujack@g...> wrote:
                    > By the way, why would you use feedburner as an overlay on libsyn's
                    > feed in the first place? What is the value add there?

                    I can't speak for everyone else, but... I started using it when I was
                    hosting my feed on my web server. So the portability came in handy
                    when I moved to libsyn. And if I move away from libsyn (and like
                    many, it's occured to me, as spotty as the service has been), I'm sure
                    I will be glad that most of my subscribers are subscribed to a feed I
                    can point somewhere else.

                    Jesse
                    The Sound of Young America
                    http://www.maximumfun.org
                  • Geek
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 31, 2005
                      I have said it many times. Feedburner has a decent services but I would
                      never ever trust my RSS feed with a third party. If I did choose to use
                      them it would be from a re-direct.

                      _____

                      > By the way, why would you use feedburner as an overlay on libsyn's
                      > feed in the first place? What is the value add there?

                      I can't speak for everyone else, but... I started using it when I was
                      hosting my feed on my web server. So the portability came in handy
                      when I moved to libsyn. And if I move away from libsyn (and like
                      many, it's occured to me, as spotty as the service has been), I'm sure
                      I will be glad that most of my subscribers are subscribed to a feed I
                      can point somewhere else.

                      Jesse
                      The Sound of Young America
                      http://www.maximumfun.org

                      _____

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      * Visit your group "podcasters
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/podcasters> " on the web.

                      _____

                    • GLSmyth
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 31, 2005
                        I don't know PHP so I started playing around with this a little on my
                        own. I had no idea how easy this can be, if one is simply looking to
                        redirect a feed of theirs. For instance, I went ahead and created
                        http://dripinvesting.org/EMix.asp on my Dividend Reinvestment site,
                        which redirects to my Eclectic Mix Feedburner feed.

                        Using ASP requires one line of code:

                        <% Response.Redirect "http://feeds.feedburner.com/eclecticmix" %>

                        That's it. So if you are looking for a way to redirect your feed and
                        your website has access to ASP, then replacing the above with your
                        feed and saving it as a *.asp file will work just fine.

                        Cheers -

                        george
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 31, 2005
                          On 10/31/05, GLSmyth <George.Smyth@...> wrote:

                          > That's it. So if you are looking for a way to redirect your feed and
                          > your website has access to ASP, then replacing the above with your
                          > feed and saving it as a *.asp file will work just fine.

                          It's a lot easier than that -- you can do it with a single line in
                          your .htaccess file (Google on "htaccess redirect") or with plain HTML
                          (Google on "html meta redirect").

                          If you do it with ASP, the server is basically returning the same sort
                          of HTTP header that an .htaccess redirect would, but it's consuming
                          more CPU cycles on the server end to fire up and parse your line of
                          ASP. So you might as well go with the .htaccess hack if you have
                          access to that file.

                          http://www.escapepod.info
                        • GLSmyth
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 31, 2005
                            Steve -

                            I agree with everything you mentioned. However, IIS on a Windows
                            server does not use .htaccess files (please correct me if I am wrong),
                            which is my case.

                            Cheers -

                            george
                            http://EclecticMix.com

                            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Eley <SFEley@g...> wrote:

                            > On 10/31/05, GLSmyth <George.Smyth@g...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > That's it. So if you are looking for a way to redirect your feed and
                            > > your website has access to ASP, then replacing the above with your
                            > > feed and saving it as a *.asp file will work just fine.
                            >
                            > It's a lot easier than that -- you can do it with a single line in
                            > your .htaccess file (Google on "htaccess redirect") or with plain HTML
                            > (Google on "html meta redirect").
                            >
                            > If you do it with ASP, the server is basically returning the same sort
                            > of HTTP header that an .htaccess redirect would, but it's consuming
                            > more CPU cycles on the server end to fire up and parse your line of
                            > ASP. So you might as well go with the .htaccess hack if you have
                            > access to that file.
                            >
                            > --
                            > Have Fun,
                            > Steve Eley (sfeley@g...)
                            > http://www.escapepod.info

                          • Jake Ludington
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 31, 2005

                              Here's a quick tutorial:

                              http://www.jakeludington.com/podcasting/20051031_how_to_redirect_an_rss_feed
                              _from_iis.html

                              Non-breaking TinyURL:
                              http://tinyurl.com/a4t9t

                              Jake Ludington

                              http://www.mediablab.com
                              http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com
                            • GLSmyth
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 31, 2005
                                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Jake Ludington" <jake@j...> wrote:

> [...]

                                Jake -

                                The URL broke across a line, so here's a short link to your article:
                                http://tinyurl.com/a4t9t

                                I am not able to get to the IIS Manager through my account. However,
                                I have been thinking about just hosting things from a server at home,
                                in which case this would be good and helpful information. Then again,
                                GoDaddy is making things so cheap that that might not make much sense
                                (I wonder if they will give me access to the IIS Manager).

                                Cheers -

                                george
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 31, 2005
                                  On 10/31/05, GLSmyth <George.Smyth@...> wrote:
                                  > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Jake Ludington" <jake@j...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Non-breaking TinyURL:
                                  > > http://tinyurl.com/a4t9t
                                  >
                                  > The URL broke across a line, so here's a short link to your article:
                                  > http://tinyurl.com/a4t9t

                                  I'm seeing double! >8->

                                  > I am not able to get to the IIS Manager through my account. However,
                                  > I have been thinking about just hosting things from a server at home,
                                  > in which case this would be good and helpful information. Then again,
                                  > GoDaddy is making things so cheap that that might not make much sense
                                  > (I wonder if they will give me access to the IIS Manager).

                                  Or give you a hosting account running on Apache like the rest of the
                                  known universe. Unless you're running .NET applications, there's
                                  really no good reason to be paying for IIS hosting. I won't say one's
                                  better than the other performance-wise, but just look at what you're
                                  giving up in flexibility.

                                  Hosting stuff from home? That's a risky one. Unless your outbound
                                  pipe is much better than typical DSL or cable modem speeds, it doesn't
                                  take much simultaneous traffic at all to slow down response. You
                                  could probably get away with it as long as your MP3 files were hosted
                                  somewhere else, and you're not pushing out a lot of images.

                                  http://www.escapepod.info
                                • GLSmyth
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 31, 2005
                                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Eley <SFEley@g...> wrote:

                                    > On 10/31/05, GLSmyth <George.Smyth@g...> wrote:
                                    > > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Jake Ludington" <jake@j...> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Non-breaking TinyURL:
                                    > > > http://tinyurl.com/a4t9t
                                    > >
                                    > > The URL broke across a line, so here's a short link to your article:
                                    > > http://tinyurl.com/a4t9t
                                    >
                                    > I'm seeing double! >8->

                                    Nope, I just never saw the link. <g>

                                    > Or give you a hosting account running on Apache like the rest of the
                                    > known universe. Unless you're running .NET applications, there's
                                    > really no good reason to be paying for IIS hosting. I won't say one's
                                    > better than the other performance-wise, but just look at what you're
                                    > giving up in flexibility.

                                    Well, I know ASP quite well but have no clue on PHP, so IIS makes
                                    sense for me. I "think" that GoDaddy offers IIS at the same price as
                                    Apache accounts, but will need to check that out.

                                    Cheers -

                                    george
                                  • Jake Ludington
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 31, 2005
                                      > I am not able to get to the IIS Manager through my account. However,
                                      > I have been thinking about just hosting things from a server at home,
                                      > in which case this would be good and helpful information. Then again,
                                      > GoDaddy is making things so cheap that that might not make much sense
                                      > (I wonder if they will give me access to the IIS Manager).

                                      Do they provide some other kind of interface for the site, like Plesk? Most
                                      hosting companies provide a CPanel (Linux) or Plesk (Windows) interface for
                                      making changes to your hosting account. If not, you should definitely shop
                                      for a different host.

                                      If they don't and switching is not an option, send in a support ticket
                                      asking them to do it for you.

                                      You definitely do not want to host your podcast from home. Your own ability
                                      to transfer files will be severely hampered if you get any level of traffic
                                      at all.

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 1, 2005
                                        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Jake Ludington" <jake@j...> wrote:

                                        > > I am not able to get to the IIS Manager through my account. However,
                                        > > I have been thinking about just hosting things from a server at home,
                                        > > in which case this would be good and helpful information. Then again,
                                        > > GoDaddy is making things so cheap that that might not make much sense
                                        > > (I wonder if they will give me access to the IIS Manager).
                                        >
                                        > Do they provide some other kind of interface for the site, like
                                        Plesk? Most
                                        > hosting companies provide a CPanel (Linux) or Plesk (Windows)
                                        interface for
                                        > making changes to your hosting account. If not, you should
                                        definitely shop
                                        > for a different host.
                                        >
                                        > If they don't and switching is not an option, send in a support ticket
                                        > asking them to do it for you.
                                        >
                                        > You definitely do not want to host your podcast from home. Your own
                                        ability
                                        > to transfer files will be severely hampered if you get any level of
                                        traffic
                                        > at all.

                                        Jake -

                                        Switching would indeed be an option. I have put in a question to
                                        GoDaddy to see if they are able to provide me with this flexibility.

                                        Cheers -

                                        george