Podcast late comment

  • Dennis A. Amith
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2005
      Was driving home and listened to several of the Friday podcasts and "Daily
      Source Code" (regarding the comments he received for Thursday's show) and
      "Whole Wheat Radio" (regarding someone who put up an album that was supposed
      to be released and plays the album on his podcast) and I figured that it's
      still in my mind and it's late...but what the hell, I'm sure many of you
      listened to yesterday's episodes so wanted to know how you felt?

      It seems that the negative e-mail Adam Curry has been getting is starting to
      irritate him. Also, people have complained if he doesn't play his "drum
      cadence" everyday, someone sends a pissed off'd e-mail to him. But of
      course, the one that some of you have brought up about people trying to have
      their show mentioned on the DSC and when they don't get mentioned, people
      send pissed of e-mail. Of course, the other thing is the interview with
      Madge Weinstein of Yeast Radio regarding her/his comments of yeast is worst
      than cancer which set people off.

      Anyway, he makes really good points on his Friday show and I really enjoy
      podcasts where people are able to go outside and you can hear the sounds and
      the people in the background. But the point about how he feels that DSC
      needs to change because he set himself up for people to be upset because
      they are used to having something each day. May it be him playing a promo
      or the drum cadence and when he doesn't do it, he gets negative e-mail.

      Do you podcasters experience that? Keeping to a same format every podcast
      and if you try something different that the listener enjoys, people will
      throw a fit?

      As for "Whole Wheat Radio", Interesting comment he made at the beginning of
      his show and he hates how podcasters are playing RIAA music, especially the
      one where a song is being promoted on iTunes and the person says he doesn't
      purchase from iTunes but he'll play the album on his podcast.

      I know that many podcasts are added each day and a lot of us have been
      concerned about playing non-RIAA music but there are podcasts that do.
      Podcasts are like Pirate Radio and with so many podcasts, some don't feel
      any fear of the RIAA and so forth.

      As for "Yeast Radio", very interesting podcast. Very mature content and
      very unique in podcasting. I have never heard the "C" word used in many
      varieties and interesting political views and very well spoken in terms of
      the delivery. But I can understand where people who were upset by the
      Thursday episode but at the same time, although I paused when I first
      listened to the "yeast" and "cancer" comment, I wasn't too offended because
      if you listened to the "Yeast Radio" podcast, that's the type of personality
      of the host but I'm sure those not familiar with the content probably felt
      the comments were very insensitive and hurtful.

      Anyway, since the listenerships for many podcasts are in the many thousands,
      like television shows on bomis.tvclubhouse or other television forums for
      separate episodes, I would love to see an all podcast community where people
      can chime in and discuss podcasts maybe broken down to shows and something
      to introduce people to other shows.

      Anyway, not sure if I made sense....very late travel back home, tired but
      wanted to type this on the ML before I catch some z's.

      - daa
      --
      METRO MEDIA COMPLEX: Podcast Edition
      www.nt2099.com/MMC/

      J!-ENT RADIO: Podcast Edition
      www.nt2099.com/J-ENT/podcast/
    • Ross Wm. Rader
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 8, 2005
        Dennis A. Amith wrote:

        > Anyway, not sure if I made sense....very late travel back home, tired but
        > wanted to type this on the ML before I catch some z's.

        You made a lot of sense. Indeed, I was talking to another podcaster abou
        this just this morning - there's more than one podcast out there and
        we'll all find our likes and dislikes eventually. No one has to listen
        to anyone for any of this to work ;)

        --

        -rwr

        Contact info: http://www.blogware.com/profiles/ross
        Skydasher: A great way to start your day
        My weblog: http://www.byte.org
      • julien smith
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 8, 2005
          > Dennis A. Amith wrote:
          >
          > > Anyway, not sure if I made sense....very late travel back home, tired but
          > > wanted to type this on the ML before I catch some z's.

          it's an unfortunate fact of life that when people become 'stars' in
          people's eyes and expect something of them, it becomes a convenience,
          a commodity, and isn't appreciated much anymore. furthermore, when
          people feel close to the individual, they feel they have a certain
          amount of rights - this is unfortunately nonsense. adam asks to be
          sent email to promote shows, or to ... he may do his best to make you
          feel like he's talking to you, but he has to think about everyone and
          he is doing his best. it's a shame, too bad. start treating people
          with a level of common courtesy and you'll be amazed how much easier
          it is than hate mail.

          that said, i really hope people are not beginning to deify him -
          although i am certain this is happening with certain individuals. all
          this crap happens all the time, in all sorts of communities (obviously
          adam, but also the guys who run community sites [such as Shannon
          Larratt from iam.bmezine.com] are privy to this).

          as for madge, she seems alright. i don't subscribe, but i might later,
          she's pretty clever. where does she come from? is she in fact a man?
          she sounds totally like a dude. i know i'm not alone in thinking this.

          anyway, i was just thinking tonight that i certainly hope the
          community of podcasters starts depending less on Adam in order to
          provide his Midas touch in order to gain popularity. going and
          hustling in other ways is likely going to end up being more efficient.

          julien
          podcast at inoveryourhead.net
        • Nicole Simon
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 8, 2005
            "Dennis A. Amith" <nt2099@...> wrote:
            >Anyway, he makes really good points on his Friday show and I really enjoy
            >podcasts where people are able to go outside and you can hear the sounds and
            >the people in the background.

            This suited perfectly my picture of what I would ever expect a DSC to be
            and still be a bit surprised of him.

            I found him very pondering on that episode but from my point of view, this
            was still a very genuine Daily Source Code.

            I did write a comment on the blog and I have a feeling as if he might read
            the comments for this one very carefully. This post has 30 comments
            already, where a usual sourcecode has about 5-10 - after some days. I'll
            give you the quote cause I am not awake enough to reformulate the same
            content ;o)

            > Picture of mind - perfekt. The moment you mentioned the rollerbladers
            > ... I wasn't so much in for the Madge Interview either - but most of
            > it for you laughing so monkey loud - not nice to hear on headphones.
            > :)
            >
            > For the rest: Yes, we party together but first of all this is your
            > party. And you having fun on your own party is one big factor for
            > everybody having fun. The moment you stop having fun and feel obliged
            > to make something for us (therefor not beeing genuine) will not be the
            > moment when this would stop to be a good show - as a professional I
            > asume you will be able very good to produce such a show without people
            > really noticing.
            >
            > But a burn out on this would not be good. As prince of pod you are at
            > the moment the crystallisation point of it and I can't see anyone to
            > take your special place for the moment. Making a show a day: How about
            > some days off? :o) Perhaps Easter time.
            >
            > I don't need to see you reinventing yourself every few weeks, but
            > changes are not evil either. As long as the outcome is interesting
            > enough. And in case not: There is always a next show waiting.

            If he really has 50.000 or more listeners (sending him audio comments), and
            every new podcaster (and all kind of bands) sends him a promo plus some
            mails why he did or did not played it, I asume his mailbox is floating. He
            has at least twice asked for help from the outside to cope with the amount
            of mail and incoming traffic.

            I worry about the day he will find that this hobby of his (which he enjoys
            very much obviously) demands so much of his time and does not give so much
            back of energy that he has to move on.

            Dave Winer might whine about as much as he likes: He has not made this
            hype. He perhaps laid some the ground for it (i do not worship the
            inventors of the internet, the web, a good codecmake, sound programms etc
            for making it possible to use podcasting either) but this phenomena did
            take of with Adam' professionality in making such a show.

            If he leaves - and this podcast was a very clear indication to me that he
            might be reminded of the days when he is just the guy with the hair who is
            famous and does not like that feeling - there will be others to take over,
            of course. But it will be at a much slower pace.

            What do you think: how many interviews and articles would have been written
            about podcasting without him in this short time?

            For music bands there was an important lesson there to learn - have your
            website ready. You never know who you are going to meet.
            Nicole

            --
            podcasts: http://gnak.de/ - http://useful-sounds.de/ (english)
            blogs: http://beissholz.de/ - http://ideengeberin.de/