How did you come up with the idea for your podcast?

  • Wendy
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 6, 2005
      Hey guys,

      I come to all of you out of desperation.

      About a year and a half ago, way before podcasting, I started my own
      Web broadcast. I love doing interviews. At the time, my three goals
      were to produce a show, get it up on the Web and interview anyone who
      would agree to talk to me. I got the show up and running and did 17
      interviews. But after awhile, because the show had no really focus, I
      lost interest.

      I've been following the growth of podcasting since September. I have
      all the equipment and knowledge I need to effortlessly create a
      podcast. But what I don't have is an idea for a show.

      The simple answer would be to do a show about something I am
      knowledgeable, interested in or passionate about. But there are a
      million things that I could choose from. And I fear, if I only choose
      one topic, I'll get bored easily.

      I've listened to so many podcasts--many of the ones created by people
      on this list. And I'm always in awe of how each one of you came up
      with the theme for your show.

      How did you do it? And how do you keep the momentum going and not get
      bored?

      It is killing me to not, as of yet, be joining you guys. If anyone can
      give me any insight or advice on how to come up with a show idea, I
      would be so grateful.

      Be well,

      Wendy
      http://www.wendywallace.com
    • Julian Doncaster (Yahoo1)
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 6, 2005
        Let me ask you a couple of questions to help you start:

        * What are you interested in?
        * Who do you like talking to?
        * Who would you like to tell about something? Who and what?
        * What do people ask you about?

        There are niches everywhere - fine to start our

        You can create an audience by offereing a podcast on a subject that people are interested in (scrapbooking, children's stories, pedigree rabbits, but the tricky

        What about all the interesting people called Wallace
        Web: www.thepicturepost.co.uk
        Blog: www.herecomespod.org.uk/blog/
        Podcast/RSS: http://www.bestchurches.org.uk/rss/offthebeatentrack.xml

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 6, 2005
          Wendy

          >It is killing me to not, as of yet, be joining you guys. If anyone can
          give me any insight or advice on how to come up with a show idea, I
          would be so grateful.

          Let me ask you a couple of questions to help you start:

          * What are you interested in?
          * Who do you like talking to?
          * Who would you like to tell about something? Who and what?
          * What do people ask you about?

          You can create an audience by offereing a podcast on a subject that people
          are interested in (scrapbooking, children's stories, pedigree rabbits, wierd
          and wonderful American judges and their decisions) but the long term bit
          needs something you enjoy.

          Random thought: what about podcasts about the stories of each of the
          interesting "Wallace"s over the years? In the UK a whole TV series was made
          by a comedian called Dave Gorman who looked up Dave Gormans in phone books
          worldwide and interviewed a new one each week. Just make them 6 or 7 minutes
          long - you seem to have the experience to help. If you get one done quickly
          (by Monday) we can review it on the podcast-review list (plug) starting next
          week, or the next week, or the next week...

          Thinking: William Wallace (how many Scotsmen wear woad - boo Hollywood),
          George Wallace (Alabama), Alfred Russel Wallace (Darwin competitor), your
          mother/father, Kelly Wallace (CNN), Sharlene Wallace (harpist), town of
          Wallace (Nova Scotia), Tatia Wallace (speed skater), Mr. Justice Wallace
          Nesbitt, Wallace Stevens (poet), Wallis Simpson (stretching it a bit)...

          I'd better stop <g>

          >How did you do it? And how do you keep the momentum going and not get
          bored?
          I think most people were interested in the technology, the audience or Just
          Did It.

          Julian
        • Wendy
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 7, 2005
            Hey Julian,

            Thank you, so much, for replying to my post.

            Your advice gave me two ideas and the push I needed to get started.

            I've decided on a topic and will do a weekly podcast and a shorter,
            more quirky one.

            I also signed up for the review list. Hurry and open submissions! I
            can't wait to start giving feedback about podcasts.

            Be well,

            Wendy
            http://www.wendywallace.com
          • Craig Patchett
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 7, 2005
              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Wendy" <wendy@w...> wrote:

              > The simple answer would be to do a show about something I am
              > knowledgeable, interested in or passionate about. But there are a
              > million things that I could choose from. And I fear, if I only choose
              > one topic, I'll get bored easily.

              The first advice I give is to pick something you're passionate about,
              and something you're either already knowledgeable about or something
              you don't mind investing some time learning more about. Sounds like
              you already those two covered a million times over!

              So who says you have to choose just one topic? Seinfeld gave us a show
              about nothing...why don't you give us a show about everything? Pick a
              topic of the week and go to town on it. Include a section where you
              respond to feedback on previous shows and you're all set. People love
              learning about new stuff. It's unique, it's interesting, and you (and
              your listeners) will never get bored!

              Craig

              *******************

              Craig Patchett
              The GodCast Network
            • Olivier
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 7, 2005
                Hi,

                > How did you do it? And how do you keep the momentum going and not get
                > bored?

                I was asking the same question, when I feel the envy to create a
                podcast.. and I just myself one questions : What do I like ?

                My thinking process :
                I've the way to realise a podcast. Now, I like walking, the country
                side, taking picture, going and discovering by myself new people and
                places.... And the internet, technology, etc...

                With all that I created already a website about rollerblading in
                Bordeaux and around... And I like that. So I won't be bored...

                Hey, that exactly what I can do ! but with podcasting....

                This is how I just found my way. This is stiil a start, and will
                certainly evoluate. But here is my start :)
                You may do the same process :) Do what you already do :)

                Olivier
              • Steve Dembo
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 7, 2005
                  When I started listening to podcasts, I was astounded that I could
                  only find two created by educators. Two! That's it! So I decided
                  that it just wasn't right considering that podcasting could be a
                  fantastic educational tool. I've always believed that if you want
                  something done right, you do it yourself. Hence, the Teach42 podcast.
                  Mind you, I still feel as though I'm constantly recreating the
                  podcast. I've been trying out different things, and it's still a work
                  in progress. But it's amazing what you can accomplish once you
                  eliminate your fear of failure.

                  Here's what I"ve discovered: You aren't that unique. There are other
                  people out there have the same interests as you. If you put yourself
                  out there, they'll find you. It's something truly magical.

                  My best advice to you is to sit down at the computer and start
                  recording. You can always reinvent yourself as many times as you
                  want.

                  Have fun and don't forget to post links!

                  Steve
                  www.teach42.com

                  On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 23:00:45 +0100, Olivier <olisker@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > > How did you do it? And how do you keep the momentum going and not get
                  > > bored?
                  >
                  > I was asking the same question, when I feel the envy to create a
                  > podcast.. and I just myself one questions : What do I like ?
                  >
                  > My thinking process :
                  > I've the way to realise a podcast. Now, I like walking, the country
                  > side, taking picture, going and discovering by myself new people and
                  > places.... And the internet, technology, etc...
                  >
                  > With all that I created already a website about rollerblading in
                  > Bordeaux and around... And I like that. So I won't be bored...
                  >
                  > Hey, that exactly what I can do ! but with podcasting....
                  >
                  > This is how I just found my way. This is stiil a start, and will
                  > certainly evoluate. But here is my start :)
                  > You may do the same process :) Do what you already do :)
                  >
                  > Olivier
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Peter Ker
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 8, 2005
                    Kwe Kwe Hello, the WHY is I discovered podcasting and realized that it was
                    an amazing way to get the word in the streets so to speak. I'm trying to learn
                    my language(Kanien'keha Language of the people of the flint commonly
                    known as Mohawk) which MANY of my generation don't know.

                    So I figure a Podcast word of the week would help those just starting out
                    learning. I find repeatedly saying things helps etch them in my mind as well so
                    I've done a video in English and Mohawk as well as a couple of audio files
                    and webpages.

                    if you are curious, subscribe it to

                    http://feeds.feedburner.com/MohawkLanguage

                    and you can learn a new word/phrase in Mohawk weekly.

                    O:nen ki' wahi' Bye for now