Re: [podcasters] Question about Interviews

  • Paula Berinstein
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 5, 2005
      I would offer the following, for starters:

      * Give your guest a copy of your proposed questions in advance so
      they can prepare. Obviously you won't stick to those questions
      exactly, but at least they and you will have some guidelines.
      Write more than you think you'll need so you don't run out.
      * Let your guests know what to expect ahead of time--in detail. Try
      to make them as comfortable as possible by being friendly and
      downplaying the stakes.
      * Try to think of odd angles on your subject--questions that others
      might not think to ask.
      * Try to ask open-ended questions rather than ones that can be
      answered by "Yes" or "No."
      * Scribble down follow-up questions while your guest is answering so
      you don't forget them.
      * Be sure to explain unfamiliar terms they use, or get them to do so.
      * Summarize and recap after long, complicated answers.
      * Ask "What if" questions. They can elicit very interesting answers.

      Paula

      Paula Berinstein
      The Writing Show, where writing is always the story
      http://www.writingshow.com

      > Just thought of a question I have not seen addressed here in this group.
      >
      > Dowes anyone have a list or thoughts on what makes a good interview.
      > What I
      > am looking for is ways as a show host to refine my interviewing
      > skills. So
      > what do you guys think? What works well in a podcast interview and what
      > does not work well?
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      >
      > Chris Cochran
      > Seatown Podcasting
      > http://www.seatownusa.com
      > http://chriscochran.etumos.org

    • Jesse Thorn
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 5, 2005
        Great to see some interest in discussing content on the list.

        Check out the This American Life comic book for some great interviewing
        insights. Also, stop by transom.org. There's a lot of great info
        there.

        I would reccomend that you not pre-write questions, though it's a great
        idea to make a list or outline of the topics you'd like to cover.
        Always ask open ended questions, and shoot for questions that could
        elicit a great story. Don't be afraid to have fun.

        And probably the one interviewing tip that has saved me the most times
        is from (iirc) Scott Simon in the TAL comic: when in doubt, you can
        always rely on the question, "What did you think it was going to be
        like, and how did it turn out being?"

        Jesse
        The Sound of Young America
        http://www.maximumfun.org
      • robert
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 5, 2005
          Chris,

          As we are doing a podcast - it means we are time shifting - so you
          can go back and edit.

          This means you can be more free flowing with the interview if you are
          willing to edit.

          I would suggest you not write or read anything when your guest is
          talking - pay attention to what they are saying and let them finish
          talking. Don't worry about dead air - as a matter of fact using dead
          air is a good way to keep them talking. That said be ready to jump
          in with a "I want to change the subject" question if you think your
          guest is going off on some wild tangent or is self promoting way to
          much.

          I have interviewed a really wide range of people - from Presidential
          Candidates to Wall Street Journal Reporters to a guy that has not let
          his wife know he is podcasting - and the most important thing in an
          interview in my mind - is to research the person / subject you are
          going to interview and have a few questions / comments ready that
          shows them you have taken the time to do research before the interview.

          And finally at the end - give them the opportunity to talk about
          anything you may not have covered in the interview. No mater how
          out of place it may be at that point in the interview, with good
          editing you can always move it back earlier in the interview and make
          it fit.

          That is just some of my advice to go with what others have already said.

          Rob W
          podCast411

          www.podcast411.com

          On Oct 5, 2005, at 3:12 PM, Chris Cochran wrote:

          > Just thought of a question I have not seen addressed here in this
          > group.
          >
          > Dowes anyone have a list or thoughts on what makes a good
          > interview. What I
          > am looking for is ways as a show host to refine my interviewing
          > skills. So
          > what do you guys think? What works well in a podcast interview and
          > what
          > does not work well?
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          >
          > Chris Cochran
          > Seatown Podcasting
          > http://www.seatownusa.com
          > http://chriscochran.etumos.org

          > ~-->
          > Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/26EolB/TM

        • Paula Berinstein
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 5, 2005
            Yes, research ahead of time. You can ask much better questions and
            follow up more effectively that way. Your guests will appreciate it too.

            I also second Rob's advice to edit and ask if they'd like to add
            anything you haven't asked about.

            Paula

          • Carl D Cravens
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 5, 2005
              On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Jesse Thorn wrote:

              > Always ask open ended questions, and shoot for questions that could
              > elicit a great story.

              Good advice.

              In a recent interview I heard, the interviewer kept trying to sound
              like he knew something, so he kept making statements about his own
              experience and then (essentially) asking the interviewee to agree...
              and the interviewee kept having to contradict him.

              With rare exception, I don't want to hear about the *interviewer's*
              experiences. I assume they are interviewing the guest because we want
              to know about the *guest's* experiences.

              I've listened to a lot of episodes of "Speaking of Faith," (a radio
              program, not a podcast) which interviews people from various religions
              (primarily "religions of the book"... she doesn't get into New Age
              type stuff much). But I'd be hard pressed to tell you the hostess'
              religious views. In some interviews, you know she has to disagree
              with her guest... but it never comes out. What comes out is the guest
              freely talking about his or her own beliefs, and never having to
              disagree with what might sound like the hostess' beliefs.

              If she does reference her own experience, it's usually in a vague way,
              and only to set up another question that focuses on the guest, not on
              herself.

              I'm sure there are situations in which the host can identify with the
              guest and set up a rapport in which they can talk on a more "personal"
              level... I felt that she did that with one of her guests in an episode
              about 12-step groups, I think it was. Even then, it always focused on
              the guest and his experiences. If she talked about her experiences,
              it was only to draw out more response from the guest.

              --
              Carl D Cravens (raven@...)
              "I'm wearing Boots of Escaping, I'm wearing Boots of Escaping..."

                Carl D Cravens wrote:

                > On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Jesse Thorn wrote:
                >
                >> Always ask open ended questions, and shoot for questions that
                >> could elicit a great story.
                >
                > Good advice.

                snip

                > I've listened to a lot of episodes of "Speaking of Faith," (a radio
                > program, not a podcast) which interviews people from various
                > religions (primarily "religions of the book"... she doesn't get
                > into New Age type stuff much). But I'd be hard pressed to tell you
                > the hostess' religious views. In some interviews, you know she has
                > to disagree with her guest... but it never comes out. What comes
                > out is the guest freely talking about his or her own beliefs, and
                > never having to disagree with what might sound like the hostess'
                > beliefs.

                Speaking of public radio interviews as examples, Terry Gross has an
                interesting book* that's worth a read. An awful lot of people (in
                public radio and elsewhere) respect her interviewing technique for
                both getting people to open up, but also pushing them a bit and
                getting them to answer the hard questions too. The book shows you
                about 40 of her best interviews and is a really good example of how to
                do it.

                *All I Did Was Ask : Conversations with Writers, Actors, Musicians,
                and Artists*
                http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401300103/102-1344073-0824111?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

                - --
                J Wynia
                The Glass is Too Big
                http://www.wynia.org
                j@...
              • Unsigned Podcast/Paul
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 6, 2005
                  --- Chris Cochran <christophercochran@...>
                  wrote:
                  > I was at a local Guitar Center yesterday and asked
                  > about the M-Audio
                  > recorder. The sales lady told me that these have
                  > been selling like crazy
                  > and they only had one left in stock. The more
                  > research I do on them the
                  > more I want one. The price seems a little high (by
                  > about $100) but has
                  > anyone here used one of these? If so what did you
                  > think?

                  I'm going to do a review of one next week in my first
                  hardware review podcast. The show will be recorded
                  exclusively on it with it's included mic.

                  I will also arrange a special price for podcasters. So
                  if anyone is interested, let me know. The more people
                  that are interested, the better the price most likely.

                  Paul Puri
                  Unsigned Podcast Network

                  Skype:unsignedpodcast
                  The site: http://www.unsignedpodcastnetwork.com/
                  The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
                  The feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/unsignedpodcast/dmMp
                  The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast

                  Promotion without shame.
                  Podcasting Announcements
                • hipodcast
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 6, 2005
                    used it for about a month now. Seems to be a nice size and the
                    storage is great. Can't get past the harshness of the digital sound,
                    but it seems tape is going to the side. Can't seem to match the
                    sound of tape. Microdrive is hissless. overall a nice concept.

                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Unsigned Podcast/Paul
                    <prp6040@y...> wrote:
                    > --- Chris Cochran <christophercochran@g...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > I was at a local Guitar Center yesterday and asked
                    > > about the M-Audio
                    > > recorder. The sales lady told me that these have
                    > > been selling like crazy
                    > > and they only had one left in stock. The more
                    > > research I do on them the
                    > > more I want one. The price seems a little high (by
                    > > about $100) but has
                    > > anyone here used one of these? If so what did you
                    > > think?
                    >
                    > I'm going to do a review of one next week in my first
                    > hardware review podcast. The show will be recorded
                    > exclusively on it with it's included mic.
                    >
                    > I will also arrange a special price for podcasters. So
                    > if anyone is interested, let me know. The more people
                    > that are interested, the better the price most likely.
                    >

                    > Paul Puri
                    > Unsigned Podcast Network
                    >
                    > Skype:unsignedpodcast
                    > The site: http://www.unsignedpodcastnetwork.com/
                    > The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
                    > The feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/unsignedpodcast/dmMp
                    > The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast
                    >
                    > Promotion without shame.
                    > Podcasting Announcements
                  • Rich
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 6, 2005
                      On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 23:17 +0000, hipodcast wrote:

                      Did you do once your Podcast on analog tape?

                      I'm an analog guy through and through, but I didn't know anyone was
                      doing that.

                      I agree that digital used to be harsh when it was 12-bit, and when
                      converters sucked, but now even 16-bit digital sounds fine to me.

                      Maybe that particular unit doesn't have good A/D converters.

                      Rich...
                      --
                      Bloodthirsty Vegetarians Podcast, www.bloodyveg.com
                      Eclectic ramblings in a sea of chaos