Re: [podcasters] Re: Podcast Audio Series

  • Unsigned Podcast/Paul
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
      --- GLSmyth <George.Smyth@...> wrote:
      > Thanks for the link, I don't think that they are too
      > technical for
      > people (I also appreciate the other articles
      > available).
      > I am just wondering how best to measure the noise
      > level. My recorder
      > has indicator lights, but I don't really think that
      > they are much more
      > than just that - indicators.
      > One of the solutions not mentioned would be (if
      > possible) to move away
      > from the noise. In my current show I interview a
      > group - to get away
      > from the noise we had to walk a block up the road
      > and duck down an
      > alley, and there was still competition from the
      > noise (I started the
      > recording as we were walking down the road - this
      > was not included on
      > the show - and when we entered the alley the noise
      > level visually
      > changed as seen by Audacity). So in a more normal
      > context, if the
      > microphone can be moved from the noise source (say,
      > a noisy computer
      > fan) then that will help.

      Good point. Avoiding noise is always a better course
      of action, but sometimes it is not always possible.
      Which is why I posted that article. Many podcasters do
      "on location" recordings, and they cannot control
      certain surrounding factors.

      A good way of measuring the competing noise is to use
      a simple sound level meter.

      http://tinyurl.com/c3q32

      You then apply what was instructed in the article.

      Paul Puri
      Unsigned Podcast Network

      Skype:unsignedpodcast
      The site: http://www.unsignedpodcastnetwork.com/