Podcast Audio Series

  • Unsigned Podcast/Paul
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2005
      It has been awhile, but I have posted more educational
      info on my blog at
      http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/.

      Three articles have been put up today:

      1.Predicting Speech to Background Noise Ratio

      2.The myth of microphone reach

      3.Impedence matching for microphones:Is it necessary?

      They are a little more technical than the others, so
      for some of you with little audio experience, some of
      it may go over your head.

      Good times,

      Paul Puri
      Unsigned Podcast Network

      Skype:unsignedpodcast
      The site: http://www.unsignedpodcastnetwork.com/
      The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
      The feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/unsignedpodcast/dmMp
      The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast

      Promotion without shame.
      Podcasting Announcements
    • GLSmyth
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
        Paul -

        Thanks for the link, I don't think that they are too technical for
        people (I also appreciate the other articles available).

        I am just wondering how best to measure the noise level. My recorder
        has indicator lights, but I don't really think that they are much more
        than just that - indicators.

        One of the solutions not mentioned would be (if possible) to move away
        from the noise. In my current show I interview a group - to get away
        from the noise we had to walk a block up the road and duck down an
        alley, and there was still competition from the noise (I started the
        recording as we were walking down the road - this was not included on
        the show - and when we entered the alley the noise level visually
        changed as seen by Audacity). So in a more normal context, if the
        microphone can be moved from the noise source (say, a noisy computer
        fan) then that will help.

        Cheers -

        george

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Unsigned Podcast/Paul
        <prp6040@y...> wrote:
        > It has been awhile, but I have posted more educational
        > info on my blog at
        > http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/.
        >
        > Three articles have been put up today:
        >
        > 1.Predicting Speech to Background Noise Ratio
        >
        > 2.The myth of microphone reach
        >
        > 3.Impedence matching for microphones:Is it necessary?
        >
        > They are a little more technical than the others, so
        > for some of you with little audio experience, some of
        > it may go over your head.
        >
        > Good times,
        >

        > Paul Puri
        > Unsigned Podcast Network
        >
        > Skype:unsignedpodcast
        > The site: http://www.unsignedpodcastnetwork.com/
        > The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
        > The feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/unsignedpodcast/dmMp
        > The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast
        >
        > Promotion without shame.
        > Podcasting Announcements
      • Unsigned Podcast/Paul
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
          --- GLSmyth <George.Smyth@...> wrote:
          > Thanks for the link, I don't think that they are too
          > technical for
          > people (I also appreciate the other articles
          > available).
          > I am just wondering how best to measure the noise
          > level. My recorder
          > has indicator lights, but I don't really think that
          > they are much more
          > than just that - indicators.
          > One of the solutions not mentioned would be (if
          > possible) to move away
          > from the noise. In my current show I interview a
          > group - to get away
          > from the noise we had to walk a block up the road
          > and duck down an
          > alley, and there was still competition from the
          > noise (I started the
          > recording as we were walking down the road - this
          > was not included on
          > the show - and when we entered the alley the noise
          > level visually
          > changed as seen by Audacity). So in a more normal
          > context, if the
          > microphone can be moved from the noise source (say,
          > a noisy computer
          > fan) then that will help.

          Good point. Avoiding noise is always a better course
          of action, but sometimes it is not always possible.
          Which is why I posted that article. Many podcasters do
          "on location" recordings, and they cannot control
          certain surrounding factors.

          A good way of measuring the competing noise is to use
          a simple sound level meter.

          http://tinyurl.com/c3q32

          You then apply what was instructed in the article.