Re: [podcasters] Digest Number 638

  • Unsigned Podcast/Paul
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
      --- JM Campbell <geek4x4@...> wrote:
      > It takes the microdrives which can go up to I
      > believe 10gig, which should
      > give you quite a bit or storage space, no matter
      > what format you record. Of
      > course a microdrive at that size is going to cost
      > almost as much as the unit
      > itself.

      A 2gb card costs about $220.00. A bit of an
      investment.

      At a rate of 16.5 gigs per minute, 24/96 will get you
      121 minutes. More than enough for the average
      podcaster if you record at it's highest quality. But
      again, a pretty big investment for some.

      Paul Puri
      Unsigned Podcast Network

      Skype:unsignedpodcast
      The site: http://www.unsignedpodcastnetwork.com/
      The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
      The feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/unsignedpodcast/dmMp
      The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast

      Promotion without shame.
      Podcasting Announcements
    • Unsigned Podcast/Paul
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
        --- Rich <rich@...> wrote:
        > On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 10:04 -0400, JM Campbell
        > wrote:
        > Yes... and then you're into the price range of a
        > unit like the Alesis
        > Masterlink, which is what we use to record our show.
        > This is a
        > legitimate piece of studio gear used in recording
        > studios around the
        > world as a two-track master recorder. Street price
        > $799.99.

        The drawback with the alesis unit is that it is very
        large compared to the M-Audio unit. It is also not
        battery powered and needs an external preamp for mics.
        If you get a battery powered stereo mic, you can plug
        it straight into the M-Audio and hit record.

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
          --- Unsigned Podcast/Paul <prp6040@...> wrote:
          > At a rate of 16.5 gigs per minute, 24/96 will get
          > you
          > 121 minutes. More than enough for the average
          > podcaster if you record at it's highest quality. But
          > again, a pretty big investment for some.

          Oops,

          That would be 16.5mb per MINUTE. But the calcs are
          still right;)

          Paul Puri
          Unsigned Podcast Network

          Skype:unsignedpodcast
          The site: http://www.unsignedpodcastnetwork.com/
          The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
          The feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/unsignedpodcast/dmMp
          The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast

          Promotion without shame.
          Podcasting Announcements
        • Rich
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
            On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 10:02 -0700, Unsigned Podcast/Paul wrote:

            Sure.

            Just more opportunities to put some cool gear in the signal path and
            make your podcast sound great. :-)

            Rich...
            --
            Bloodthirsty Vegetarians Podcast, www.bloodyveg.com
            Eclectic ramblings in a sea of chaos

            > The drawback with the alesis unit is that it is very
            > large compared to the M-Audio unit. It is also not
            > battery powered and needs an external preamp for mics.
            > If you get a battery powered stereo mic, you can plug
            > it straight into the M-Audio and hit record.
            >

            > Paul Puri
            > Unsigned Podcast Network
          • Unsigned Podcast/Paul
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
              --- Rich <rich@...> wrote:
              > On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 10:02 -0700, Unsigned
              > Podcast/Paul wrote:
              >
              > Sure.
              >
              > Just more opportunities to put some cool gear in
              > the signal path and
              > make your podcast sound great. :-)

              Which is exactly why I had gotten out of the audio
              industry in the first place;)

              Just when I thought that I was out, they pull me back
              in!!!

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
                On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 10:02 -0700, Unsigned Podcast/Paul wrote:

                It is bigger, no doubt. But I haven't found it to be an issue yet.

                From what I've seen, many Podcasts and Podcasters need to mix some
                other sound source into their Podcast in real time, anyway. This
                requires some sort of small mixer, and those will likely come with a few
                channels of mic-pre.

                For someone who just wants to hang a mic and record, it's true that
                the Masterlink is not the way to go.

                Rich...
                --
                Bloodthirsty Vegetarians Podcast, www.bloodyveg.com
                Eclectic ramblings in a sea of chaos

                > The drawback with the alesis unit is that it is very
                > large compared to the M-Audio unit. It is also not
                > battery powered and needs an external preamp for mics.
                > If you get a battery powered stereo mic, you can plug
                > it straight into the M-Audio and hit record.
                >

                > Paul Puri
                > Unsigned Podcast Network
              • Unsigned Podcast/Paul
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
                  --- Rich <rich@...> wrote:
                  > On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 10:02 -0700, Unsigned
                  > Podcast/Paul wrote:
                  >
                  > It is bigger, no doubt. But I haven't found it to
                  > be an issue yet.

                  Don't get me wrong. I think it is one of the best
                  products at it's price. The only issue I see is size
                  when it comes to podcasters.

                  Size does matter;)