Re: New recorder good for podcasters

  • Howard Harawitz
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 2, 2005
      Sorry about that. For some reason my response disappeared. I got a
      funny message from Yahoo when I sent it. Oh, well...Here's what I
      said:

      If you are interested in a portable solid state recorder you might
      also want to look at the Roland R-1 -- about the same price as the M-
      audio device.
      < http://www.edirol.com/products/info/r1.html >

      There is an R-1 Email list on Yahoo and there has been some
      discussion about how the R-1 compares with the M-audio MicroTrack.

      Regards,

      Howard
      ====================================
      Checkout "Golden Ear" - a free podcast radio
      < http://brooklynnorth.com >

      RE:
      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Rich <rich@c...> wrote:
      > > On Sat, 2005-10-01 at 10:26 -0700, Unsigned Podcast/Paul wrote:
      > >
      > > That looks like a nice unit.
      > >
      > > Just be wary of white size compact flash card you will need,
      > depending
      > > upon with which format you choose to record. PCM recording
      > requires a
      > > lot of storage, as I'm sure most of you know. (I don't feel
      like
      > doing
      > > the math). :-)
      > >
      > > Now something like that might be a little more worthy of those
      > > condenser mics everyone seems to covet.
      > >
      > > I have a friend who works for M-Audio. I'll ask him if he's
      had
      > an
      > > opportunity to use one of these yet.
      > >
      > > Rich...
      > > --
      > > Bloodthirsty Vegetarians Podcast, www.bloodyveg.com
      > > Eclectic ramblings in a sea of chaos
      > >
      > > > http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MicroTrack2496-main.html
      > > >
      > > > New portable recorder.
      > > > Thought some of you would be interested.
      > > >
      > > > Street price is $399.99
      > > >
      > > > Paul Puri
      > > > Unsigned Podcast Network
    • GLSmyth
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 2, 2005
        No question, that is pretty cute.

        Cheers -

        george

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Unsigned Podcast/Paul
        <prp6040@y...> wrote:
        > http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MicroTrack2496-main.html
        >
        > New portable recorder.
        > Thought some of you would be interested.
        >
        > Street price is $399.99
        >

        > Paul Puri
        > Unsigned Podcast Network
        >
        > Skype:unsignedpodcast
        > The site: http://www.unsignedpodcastnetwork.com/
        > The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
        > The feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/unsignedpodcast/dmMp
        > The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast
        >
        > Promotion without shame.
        > Podcasting Announcements
      • Ryan Ozawa
        • ecomputerd
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 3, 2005
            Looks like the MicroTrack has 1/4" balanced inputs. You'll need
            something like a pair of these: http://www.zzounds.com/item--
            MONMSLCFX

          • Rich
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 3, 2005
              On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 21:34 +0000, ecomputerd wrote:

              Monster makes nice stuff, but there are better values out there.

              Rich...

              > Looks like the MicroTrack has 1/4" balanced inputs. You'll need
              > something like a pair of these: http://www.zzounds.com/item--
              > MONMSLCFX
            • Rich
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 3, 2005
                On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 10:54 -1000, Ryan Ozawa wrote:

                There is a small price to pay for using balanced, pro audio gear. In
                the case of those (SM?) 58's, you get a well made product, with balanced
                XLR connectors.

                From what I've seen in this group, people are mixing consumer grade
                recording equipment, with stuff geared from the pro market.

                The price tag for using pro gear is often more money, sometimes the
                gear is bigger and heavier, but the quality is superior.

                Going from XLR's (3 conductor) to consumer two conductor inputs
                requires a special cable, but you are paying a price. You're
                unbalancing the signal, and that means more RF interference.

                Rich...

                > > No question, that is pretty cute.
                >
                > No built-in mics, though. Interesting.
                >
                > Now that I've invested in Shure EM-58 mics with XLR plugs, I'm
                > wondering what the best mobile recording rig for me would be. A
                > Marantz (that has XLR jacks)? Something like this with a Griffin
                > XLR-to-1/8" adapter/cable? Or, since the Shure's are so heavy, just
                > stick with the little two-headed 1/8" mic my Olympus voice recorder
                > came with... and I guess my Olympus voice recorder. <g>
                >
                > - --
                > Ryan
              • ecomputerd
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 3, 2005
                  Absolutely agree. But a few caveats:

                  Monster adaptors I linked to). I agree, it was the first I found
                  when I googled.

                  2) Balanced to Unbalanced transformers (sometimes called Baluns, I
                  think) do cost money,

                  But the inputs to the MicroTrack are BALANCED 1/4" TRS connectors.
                  So no bal->unbal conversion from a Balanced XLR signal coming from a
                  microphone is necessary. Many (most?) 1/4" plugs are unbalanced and
                  belong to "line-in" or "guitar" cords. I assume the MicroTrack uses
                  1/4" balanced to give quieter results with microphone inputs while
                  keeping the size down (by not using XLR jacks).

                  Read specs carefully, choose and test solutions, buy with advice
                  from experts on how to hook up your gear. Buy from those who help
                  you. Sometimes "local" can be less expensive this way.

                  Greg Smith

                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Rich <rich@c...> wrote:
                  > On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 10:54 -1000, Ryan Ozawa wrote:
                  >
                  > There is a small price to pay for using balanced, pro audio
                  gear. In
                  > the case of those (SM?) 58's, you get a well made product, with
                  balanced
                  > XLR connectors.
                  >
                  > From what I've seen in this group, people are mixing consumer
                  grade
                  > recording equipment, with stuff geared from the pro market.
                  >
                  > The price tag for using pro gear is often more money, sometimes
                  the
                  > gear is bigger and heavier, but the quality is superior.
                  >
                  > Going from XLR's (3 conductor) to consumer two conductor inputs
                  > requires a special cable, but you are paying a price. You're
                  > unbalancing the signal, and that means more RF interference.
                  >
                  > Rich...
                  >

                  > > > No question, that is pretty cute.
                  > >
                  > > No built-in mics, though. Interesting.
                  > >
                  > > Now that I've invested in Shure EM-58 mics with XLR plugs, I'm
                  > > wondering what the best mobile recording rig for me would be. A
                  > > Marantz (that has XLR jacks)? Something like this with a Griffin
                  > > XLR-to-1/8" adapter/cable? Or, since the Shure's are so heavy,
                  just
                  > > stick with the little two-headed 1/8" mic my Olympus voice
                  recorder
                  > > came with... and I guess my Olympus voice recorder. <g>
                  > >
                  > > - --
                  > > Ryan
                • Unsigned Podcast/Paul
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 3, 2005
                    --- Ryan Ozawa <ryanozawa@...> wrote:
                    > No built-in mics, though. Interesting.

                    It comes with an external stereo mic. Supposed to be
                    pretty decent.

                    > Now that I've invested in Shure EM-58 mics with XLR
                    > plugs, I'm
                    > wondering what the best mobile recording rig for me
                    > would be. A
                    > Marantz (that has XLR jacks)? Something like this
                    > with a Griffin
                    > XLR-to-1/8" adapter/cable? Or, since the Shure's
                    > are so heavy, just
                    > stick with the little two-headed 1/8" mic my Olympus
                    > voice recorder
                    > came with... and I guess my Olympus voice recorder.

                    EM58? Do you mean SM58?(typo?)

                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 5, 2005
                      On 10/3/05, Unsigned Podcast/Paul <prp6040@...> wrote:
                      > It comes with an external stereo mic. Supposed to be
                      > pretty decent.

                      Reminds me of the ME-51S stereo mic that came with my Olympus DM-10
                      voice recorder. The weird thing is, you can't buy it separately. The
                      only place I've seen it is bundled with the recorder. Fortunately,
                      Sony seems to make a whole slew of similar 1/8" stereo mics.

                      > EM58? Do you mean SM58?(typo?)

                      Er, yes, that's the one. Sadly, the conversation that immediately
                      followed my Podcasting 101 question went way over my head. Balanced?
                      Two conductors? RF? Eep!

                      And here my next question was going to be, if the Microtrack has
                      separate 1/4" jacks for "L"eft and "R"ight, what happens if I did plug
                      my SM58 with a Monster XLR-to-1/4" cable into one. Do I get a mono
                      recording, or just one side?

                      Gotta go back to podcasting school. (Or the Podcast Academy! Heh.)

                      Ryan
                    • Rich
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 5, 2005
                        On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 21:10 -1000, Ryan Ozawa wrote:

                        > > EM58? Do you mean SM58?(typo?)
                        >
                        > Er, yes, that's the one. Sadly, the conversation that immediately
                        > followed my Podcasting 101 question went way over my head. Balanced?
                        > Two conductors? RF? Eep!

                        If you want an explanation of all of these things, I'll be glad to do
                        it.

                        > And here my next question was going to be, if the Microtrack has
                        > separate 1/4" jacks for "L"eft and "R"ight, what happens if I did plug
                        > my SM58 with a Monster XLR-to-1/4" cable into one. Do I get a mono
                        > recording, or just one side?

                        You get just one side. And that would be mono.

                        And as I said in a previous post. Monster makes good stuff, but there
                        are better values out there, so definitely shop around.

                        > Gotta go back to podcasting school. (Or the Podcast Academy! Heh.)

                        We'll help in any way we can.

                        Rich...
                        --
                        Bloodthirsty Vegetarians Podcast, www.bloodyveg.com
                        Eclectic ramblings in a sea of chaos
                      • Chris Cochran
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 5, 2005
                          I was at a local Guitar Center yesterday and asked about the M-Audio
                          recorder. The sales lady told me that these have been selling like crazy
                          and they only had one left in stock. The more research I do on them the
                          more I want one. The price seems a little high (by about $100) but has
                          anyone here used one of these? If so what did you think?

                          Chris Cochran
                          Seatown Podcasting
                          http://seatownusa.com
                          http://chriscochran.etumos.org

                          On 10/5/05 4:41 AM, "Rich" <rich@...> wrote:

                          > On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 21:10 -1000, Ryan Ozawa wrote:
                          >
                          >>> EM58? Do you mean SM58?(typo?)
                          >>
                          >> Er, yes, that's the one. Sadly, the conversation that immediately
                          >> followed my Podcasting 101 question went way over my head. Balanced?
                          >> Two conductors? RF? Eep!
                          >
                          > If you want an explanation of all of these things, I'll be glad to do
                          > it.
                          >
                          >> And here my next question was going to be, if the Microtrack has
                          >> separate 1/4" jacks for "L"eft and "R"ight, what happens if I did plug
                          >> my SM58 with a Monster XLR-to-1/4" cable into one. Do I get a mono
                          >> recording, or just one side?
                          >
                          > You get just one side. And that would be mono.
                          >
                          > And as I said in a previous post. Monster makes good stuff, but there
                          > are better values out there, so definitely shop around.
                          >
                          >> Gotta go back to podcasting school. (Or the Podcast Academy! Heh.)
                          >
                          > We'll help in any way we can.
                          >
                          > Rich...
                        • Chris Cochran
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 5, 2005
                            Just thought of a question I have not seen addressed here in this group.

                            Dowes anyone have a list or thoughts on what makes a good interview. What I
                            am looking for is ways as a show host to refine my interviewing skills. So
                            what do you guys think? What works well in a podcast interview and what
                            does not work well?

                            Thanks in advance,

                            Chris Cochran
                            Seatown Podcasting
                            http://www.seatownusa.com
                            http://chriscochran.etumos.org
                          • Peter Mezensky
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 5, 2005
                              Vox Monitor recently did a show on this subject:
                              http://www.voxmonitor.com/?p=97

                              On 10/5/05, Chris Cochran <christophercochran@...> wrote:
                              > Just thought of a question I have not seen addressed here in this group.
                              >
                              > Dowes anyone have a list or thoughts on what makes a good interview. What I
                              > am looking for is ways as a show host to refine my interviewing skills. So
                              > what do you guys think? What works well in a podcast interview and what
                              > does not work well?
                              >
                              > Thanks in advance,
                              >
                              > Chris Cochran
                              > Seatown Podcasting
                              > http://www.seatownusa.com
                              > http://chriscochran.etumos.org
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Paula Berinstein
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 5, 2005
                                I would offer the following, for starters:

                                * Give your guest a copy of your proposed questions in advance so
                                they can prepare. Obviously you won't stick to those questions
                                exactly, but at least they and you will have some guidelines.
                                Write more than you think you'll need so you don't run out.
                                * Let your guests know what to expect ahead of time--in detail. Try
                                to make them as comfortable as possible by being friendly and
                                downplaying the stakes.
                                * Try to think of odd angles on your subject--questions that others
                                might not think to ask.
                                * Try to ask open-ended questions rather than ones that can be
                                answered by "Yes" or "No."
                                * Scribble down follow-up questions while your guest is answering so
                                you don't forget them.
                                * Be sure to explain unfamiliar terms they use, or get them to do so.
                                * Summarize and recap after long, complicated answers.
                                * Ask "What if" questions. They can elicit very interesting answers.

                                Paula

                                Paula Berinstein
                                The Writing Show, where writing is always the story
                                http://www.writingshow.com

                                > Just thought of a question I have not seen addressed here in this group.
                                >
                                > Dowes anyone have a list or thoughts on what makes a good interview.
                                > What I
                                > am looking for is ways as a show host to refine my interviewing
                                > skills. So
                                > what do you guys think? What works well in a podcast interview and what
                                > does not work well?
                                >
                                > Thanks in advance,
                                >
                                > Chris Cochran
                                > Seatown Podcasting
                                > http://www.seatownusa.com
                                > http://chriscochran.etumos.org

                              • Jesse Thorn
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 5, 2005
                                  Great to see some interest in discussing content on the list.

                                  Check out the This American Life comic book for some great interviewing
                                  insights. Also, stop by transom.org. There's a lot of great info
                                  there.

                                  I would reccomend that you not pre-write questions, though it's a great
                                  idea to make a list or outline of the topics you'd like to cover.
                                  Always ask open ended questions, and shoot for questions that could
                                  elicit a great story. Don't be afraid to have fun.

                                  And probably the one interviewing tip that has saved me the most times
                                  is from (iirc) Scott Simon in the TAL comic: when in doubt, you can
                                  always rely on the question, "What did you think it was going to be
                                  like, and how did it turn out being?"

                                  Jesse
                                  The Sound of Young America
                                  http://www.maximumfun.org
                                • robert
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 5, 2005
                                    Chris,

                                    As we are doing a podcast - it means we are time shifting - so you
                                    can go back and edit.

                                    This means you can be more free flowing with the interview if you are
                                    willing to edit.

                                    I would suggest you not write or read anything when your guest is
                                    talking - pay attention to what they are saying and let them finish
                                    talking. Don't worry about dead air - as a matter of fact using dead
                                    air is a good way to keep them talking. That said be ready to jump
                                    in with a "I want to change the subject" question if you think your
                                    guest is going off on some wild tangent or is self promoting way to
                                    much.

                                    I have interviewed a really wide range of people - from Presidential
                                    Candidates to Wall Street Journal Reporters to a guy that has not let
                                    his wife know he is podcasting - and the most important thing in an
                                    interview in my mind - is to research the person / subject you are
                                    going to interview and have a few questions / comments ready that
                                    shows them you have taken the time to do research before the interview.

                                    And finally at the end - give them the opportunity to talk about
                                    anything you may not have covered in the interview. No mater how
                                    out of place it may be at that point in the interview, with good
                                    editing you can always move it back earlier in the interview and make
                                    it fit.

                                    That is just some of my advice to go with what others have already said.

                                    Rob W
                                    podCast411

                                    www.podcast411.com

                                    On Oct 5, 2005, at 3:12 PM, Chris Cochran wrote:

                                    > Just thought of a question I have not seen addressed here in this
                                    > group.
                                    >
                                    > Dowes anyone have a list or thoughts on what makes a good
                                    > interview. What I
                                    > am looking for is ways as a show host to refine my interviewing
                                    > skills. So
                                    > what do you guys think? What works well in a podcast interview and
                                    > what
                                    > does not work well?
                                    >
                                    > Thanks in advance,
                                    >
                                    > Chris Cochran
                                    > Seatown Podcasting
                                    > http://www.seatownusa.com
                                    > http://chriscochran.etumos.org

                                    > ~-->
                                    > Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!
                                    > http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/26EolB/TM

                                  • Paula Berinstein
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 5, 2005
                                      Yes, research ahead of time. You can ask much better questions and
                                      follow up more effectively that way. Your guests will appreciate it too.

                                      I also second Rob's advice to edit and ask if they'd like to add
                                      anything you haven't asked about.

                                      Paula

                                    • Carl D Cravens
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 5, 2005
                                        On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Jesse Thorn wrote:

                                        > Always ask open ended questions, and shoot for questions that could
                                        > elicit a great story.

                                        Good advice.

                                        In a recent interview I heard, the interviewer kept trying to sound
                                        like he knew something, so he kept making statements about his own
                                        experience and then (essentially) asking the interviewee to agree...
                                        and the interviewee kept having to contradict him.

                                        With rare exception, I don't want to hear about the *interviewer's*
                                        experiences. I assume they are interviewing the guest because we want
                                        to know about the *guest's* experiences.

                                        I've listened to a lot of episodes of "Speaking of Faith," (a radio
                                        program, not a podcast) which interviews people from various religions
                                        (primarily "religions of the book"... she doesn't get into New Age
                                        type stuff much). But I'd be hard pressed to tell you the hostess'
                                        religious views. In some interviews, you know she has to disagree
                                        with her guest... but it never comes out. What comes out is the guest
                                        freely talking about his or her own beliefs, and never having to
                                        disagree with what might sound like the hostess' beliefs.

                                        If she does reference her own experience, it's usually in a vague way,
                                        and only to set up another question that focuses on the guest, not on
                                        herself.

                                        I'm sure there are situations in which the host can identify with the
                                        guest and set up a rapport in which they can talk on a more "personal"
                                        level... I felt that she did that with one of her guests in an episode
                                        about 12-step groups, I think it was. Even then, it always focused on
                                        the guest and his experiences. If she talked about her experiences,
                                        it was only to draw out more response from the guest.

                                        --
                                        Carl D Cravens (raven@...)
                                        "I'm wearing Boots of Escaping, I'm wearing Boots of Escaping..."
                                        • Unsigned Podcast/Paul
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Oct 6, 2005
                                            wrote:
                                            > I was at a local Guitar Center yesterday and asked
                                            > about the M-Audio
                                            > recorder. The sales lady told me that these have
                                            > been selling like crazy
                                            > and they only had one left in stock. The more
                                            > research I do on them the
                                            > more I want one. The price seems a little high (by
                                            > about $100) but has
                                            > anyone here used one of these? If so what did you
                                            > think?

                                            I'm going to do a review of one next week in my first
                                            hardware review podcast. The show will be recorded
                                            exclusively on it with it's included mic.

                                            I will also arrange a special price for podcasters. So
                                            if anyone is interested, let me know. The more people
                                            that are interested, the better the price most likely.

                                            Paul Puri
                                            Unsigned Podcast Network

                                            Skype:unsignedpodcast
                                            The site: http://www.unsignedpodcastnetwork.com/
                                            The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
                                            The feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/unsignedpodcast/dmMp
                                            The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast

                                            Promotion without shame.
                                            Podcasting Announcements
                                          • hipodcast
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Oct 6, 2005
                                              used it for about a month now. Seems to be a nice size and the
                                              storage is great. Can't get past the harshness of the digital sound,
                                              but it seems tape is going to the side. Can't seem to match the
                                              sound of tape. Microdrive is hissless. overall a nice concept.

                                              <prp6040@y...> wrote:
                                              > --- Chris Cochran <christophercochran@g...>
                                              > wrote:
                                              > > I was at a local Guitar Center yesterday and asked
                                              > > about the M-Audio
                                              > > recorder. The sales lady told me that these have
                                              > > been selling like crazy
                                              > > and they only had one left in stock. The more
                                              > > research I do on them the
                                              > > more I want one. The price seems a little high (by
                                              > > about $100) but has
                                              > > anyone here used one of these? If so what did you
                                              > > think?
                                              >
                                              > I'm going to do a review of one next week in my first
                                              > hardware review podcast. The show will be recorded
                                              > exclusively on it with it's included mic.
                                              >
                                              > I will also arrange a special price for podcasters. So
                                              > if anyone is interested, let me know. The more people
                                              > that are interested, the better the price most likely.
                                              >

                                              > Paul Puri
                                              > Unsigned Podcast Network
                                              >
                                              > Skype:unsignedpodcast
                                              > The site: http://www.unsignedpodcastnetwork.com/
                                              > The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
                                              > The feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/unsignedpodcast/dmMp
                                              > The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast
                                              >
                                              > Promotion without shame.
                                              > Podcasting Announcements
                                            • Rich
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Oct 6, 2005
                                                On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 23:17 +0000, hipodcast wrote:

                                                Did you do once your Podcast on analog tape?

                                                I'm an analog guy through and through, but I didn't know anyone was
                                                doing that.

                                                I agree that digital used to be harsh when it was 12-bit, and when
                                                converters sucked, but now even 16-bit digital sounds fine to me.

                                                Maybe that particular unit doesn't have good A/D converters.

                                                Rich...