Re: [podcasters] Digest Number 638

  • JM Campbell
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
      It takes the microdrives which can go up to I believe 10gig, which should
      give you quite a bit or storage space, no matter what format you record. Of
      course a microdrive at that size is going to cost almost as much as the unit
      itself.

      Message: 4
      > Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 14:05:50 -0400
      > From: Rich <rich@...>
      > Subject: Re: New recorder good for podcasters
      >
      > On Sat, 2005-10-01 at 10:26 -0700, Unsigned Podcast/Paul wrote:
      >
      > That looks like a nice unit.
      >
      > Just be wary of white size compact flash card you will need, depending
      > upon with which format you choose to record. PCM recording requires a
      > lot of storage, as I'm sure most of you know. (I don't feel like doing
      > the math). :-)
      >
      > Now something like that might be a little more worthy of those
      > condenser mics everyone seems to covet.
      >
      > I have a friend who works for M-Audio. I'll ask him if he's had an
      > opportunity to use one of these yet.
      >
      > Rich...
      > --
      > Bloodthirsty Vegetarians Podcast, www.bloodyveg.com<http://www.bloodyveg.com>
      > Eclectic ramblings in a sea of chaos
      >
      > > http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MicroTrack2496-main.html
      > >
      > > New portable recorder.
      > > Thought some of you would be interested.
      > >
      > > Street price is $399.99
      > >
      > > Paul Puri
      > > Unsigned Podcast Network
      >

      > --
      > -JM Campbell
      > Geek4x4 - Get Your Brain in Gear.
      > http://geek4x4.com
      > geek4x4@...
      > 1-206-984-4335

    • Rich
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
        On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 10:04 -0400, JM Campbell wrote:

        Yes... and then you're into the price range of a unit like the Alesis
        Masterlink, which is what we use to record our show. This is a
        legitimate piece of studio gear used in recording studios around the
        world as a two-track master recorder. Street price $799.99.

        I would definitely recommend it if you're into spending that much cash
        and want that kind of quality. It records to PCM format, 16 bit, 44.1K
        right up to 24 bit, 96K. It comes with a built in CD burner, balanced
        analog XLR ins and outs, unbalanced RCA ins and outs, as well as digital
        AES/EBU and S/PDIF ins and outs.

        I forget exactly how big the hard drive is that it comes with, but at
        16-bit/44.1, it can record 53 hours of program material.

        The on-board editing features are powerful, but have to be accessed
        through the fluorescent display on the front panel. I have a friend who
        records, edits, compresses, and finalizes his mixes on this thing and
        then burns a finished Red Book CD. They sound fine, but he's spent a
        lot of time learning the editing tricks.

        I prefer editing in a DAW, but if you don't have any software to do
        that [and since Audacity is free, you have no excuses :-) ] this will
        work fine.

        Rich...
        --
        Bloodthirsty Vegetarians Podcast, www.bloodyveg.com
        Eclectic ramblings in a sea of chaos

        > It takes the microdrives which can go up to I believe 10gig, which
        > should
        > give you quite a bit or storage space, no matter what format you
        > record. Of
        > course a microdrive at that size is going to cost almost as much as
        > the unit
        > itself.
        >
        > Message: 4
        > > Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 14:05:50 -0400
        > > From: Rich <rich@...>
        > > Subject: Re: New recorder good for podcasters
        > >
        > > On Sat, 2005-10-01 at 10:26 -0700, Unsigned Podcast/Paul wrote:
        > >
        > > That looks like a nice unit.
        > >
        > > Just be wary of white size compact flash card you will need,
        > depending
        > > upon with which format you choose to record. PCM recording requires
        > > lot of storage, as I'm sure most of you know. (I don't feel like
        > doing
        > > the math). :-)
        > >
        > > Now something like that might be a little more worthy of those
        > > condenser mics everyone seems to covet.
        > >
        > > I have a friend who works for M-Audio. I'll ask him if he's had an
        > > opportunity to use one of these yet.
        > >
        > > Rich...
        > > --
        > > Bloodthirsty Vegetarians Podcast,
        > www.bloodyveg.com<http://www.bloodyveg.com>
        > > Eclectic ramblings in a sea of chaos
      • Unsigned Podcast/Paul
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
          --- JM Campbell <geek4x4@...> wrote:
          > It takes the microdrives which can go up to I
          > believe 10gig, which should
          > give you quite a bit or storage space, no matter
          > what format you record. Of
          > course a microdrive at that size is going to cost
          > almost as much as the unit
          > itself.

          A 2gb card costs about $220.00. A bit of an
          investment.

          At a rate of 16.5 gigs per minute, 24/96 will get you
          121 minutes. More than enough for the average
          podcaster if you record at it's highest quality. But
          again, a pretty big investment for some.

          Paul Puri
          Unsigned Podcast Network

          Skype:unsignedpodcast
          The site: http://www.unsignedpodcastnetwork.com/
          The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
          The feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/unsignedpodcast/dmMp
          The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast

          Promotion without shame.
          Podcasting Announcements
        • Unsigned Podcast/Paul
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
            --- Rich <rich@...> wrote:
            > On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 10:04 -0400, JM Campbell
            > wrote:
            > Yes... and then you're into the price range of a
            > unit like the Alesis
            > Masterlink, which is what we use to record our show.
            > This is a
            > legitimate piece of studio gear used in recording
            > studios around the
            > world as a two-track master recorder. Street price
            > $799.99.

            The drawback with the alesis unit is that it is very
            large compared to the M-Audio unit. It is also not
            battery powered and needs an external preamp for mics.
            If you get a battery powered stereo mic, you can plug
            it straight into the M-Audio and hit record.

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
              --- Unsigned Podcast/Paul <prp6040@...> wrote:
              > At a rate of 16.5 gigs per minute, 24/96 will get
              > you
              > 121 minutes. More than enough for the average
              > podcaster if you record at it's highest quality. But
              > again, a pretty big investment for some.

              Oops,

              That would be 16.5mb per MINUTE. But the calcs are
              still right;)

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
                On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 10:02 -0700, Unsigned Podcast/Paul wrote:

                Sure.

                Just more opportunities to put some cool gear in the signal path and
                make your podcast sound great. :-)

                Rich...
                --
                Bloodthirsty Vegetarians Podcast, www.bloodyveg.com
                Eclectic ramblings in a sea of chaos

                > The drawback with the alesis unit is that it is very
                > large compared to the M-Audio unit. It is also not
                > battery powered and needs an external preamp for mics.
                > If you get a battery powered stereo mic, you can plug
                > it straight into the M-Audio and hit record.
                >

                > Paul Puri
                > Unsigned Podcast Network
              • Unsigned Podcast/Paul
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
                  --- Rich <rich@...> wrote:
                  > On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 10:02 -0700, Unsigned
                  > Podcast/Paul wrote:
                  >
                  > Sure.
                  >
                  > Just more opportunities to put some cool gear in
                  > the signal path and
                  > make your podcast sound great. :-)

                  Which is exactly why I had gotten out of the audio
                  industry in the first place;)

                  Just when I thought that I was out, they pull me back
                  in!!!

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
                    On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 10:02 -0700, Unsigned Podcast/Paul wrote:

                    It is bigger, no doubt. But I haven't found it to be an issue yet.

                    From what I've seen, many Podcasts and Podcasters need to mix some
                    other sound source into their Podcast in real time, anyway. This
                    requires some sort of small mixer, and those will likely come with a few
                    channels of mic-pre.

                    For someone who just wants to hang a mic and record, it's true that
                    the Masterlink is not the way to go.

                    Rich...
                    --
                    Bloodthirsty Vegetarians Podcast, www.bloodyveg.com
                    Eclectic ramblings in a sea of chaos

                    > The drawback with the alesis unit is that it is very
                    > large compared to the M-Audio unit. It is also not
                    > battery powered and needs an external preamp for mics.
                    > If you get a battery powered stereo mic, you can plug
                    > it straight into the M-Audio and hit record.
                    >

                    > Paul Puri
                    > Unsigned Podcast Network
                  • Unsigned Podcast/Paul
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
                      --- Rich <rich@...> wrote:
                      > On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 10:02 -0700, Unsigned
                      > Podcast/Paul wrote:
                      >
                      > It is bigger, no doubt. But I haven't found it to
                      > be an issue yet.

                      Don't get me wrong. I think it is one of the best
                      products at it's price. The only issue I see is size
                      when it comes to podcasters.

                      Size does matter;)