Reuters - 90% have never heard of podcasting... some work to be done, folks!

  • Les Posen
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2005
      Sep 28 9:57 AM US/Eastern

      By Jeffrey Goldfarb

      LONDON (Reuters) - Proponents of the latest Web trends were warned
      Tuesday that the rest of the world may not have a clue what they are
      talking about.

      A survey of British taxi drivers, pub landlords and hairdressers --
      often seen as barometers of popular trends -- found that nearly 90
      percent had no idea what a podcast is and more than 70 percent had
      never heard of blogging.

      "When I asked the panel whether people were talking about blogging,
      they thought I meant dogging," said Sarah Carter, the planning
      director at ad firm DDB London.

      Dogging is the phenomenon of watching couples have sex in semi-
      secluded places such as out-of-town car parks. News of such events
      are often spread on Web sites or by using mobile phone text messages.

      More people (56 percent) understood the phrase "happy slapping" -- a
      teenage craze that involves assaulting people while capturing it on
      video with their mobile phones -- than podcasting (12 percent) or
      blogging (28 percent).

      "Our research not only shows that there is no buzz about blogging and
      podcasting outside of our media industry bubble, but also that people
      have no understanding of what the words mean," Carter said. "It's a
      real wake-up call."

      A blog, short for Web log, is an online journal, while podcasting is
      a method of publishing audio programs over the Internet -- a name
      derived from combining iPod, Apple's popular digital music player,
      with broadcasting, even though portable devices are not necessary to
      listen to a podcast.

      DDB, a unit of New York-based advertising group Omnicom, said the
      survey results indicate that agencies may be pushing their clients to
      use new technology -- that is, to advertise on the new media formats
      -- too quickly.

      "We spend too much time talking to ourselves in this industry, rather
      than getting out there and finding out what's really going on in the
      world," DDB's chief strategy officer David Hackworthy said.

      http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/28/
      MTFH03372_2005-09-28_14-05-02_HAR756025.html

    • Unsigned Podcast/Paul
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2005
        --- Les Posen <lesposen@...> wrote:
        > Dogging is the phenomenon of watching couples have
        > sex in semi-
        > secluded places such as out-of-town car parks. News
        > of such events
        > are often spread on Web sites or by using mobile
        > phone text messages.
        > More people (56 percent) understood the phrase
        > "happy slapping" -- a
        > teenage craze that involves assaulting people while
        > capturing it on
        > video with their mobile phones -- than podcasting
        > (12 percent) or
        > blogging (28 percent).

        Peeping toms and people who commit assault. The
        untapped demographic. Can't wait;)

        Paul Puri
        Unsigned Podcast Network

        Skype:unsignedpodcast
        The site: http://www.unsignedpodcastnetwork.com/
        The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
        The feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/unsignedpodcast/dmMp
        The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast

        Promotion without shame.
        Podcasting Announcements
      • GLSmyth
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 29, 2005
          I started playing around with the Internet around 1994 and tried
          explaining it to people. When the Web became the primary form (as
          opposed to WAIS, Jughead, and the previously dominant gopher) I
          attempted to explain to the organization for which I worked the
          benefit of having a website - I even created a small example site. It
          didn't really sink in.

          Things started really going when large companies decided to tap the
          potential and came onto the Web. I see the same thing starting to
          happen now. In time, podcasting will become at least a known conduit,
          but for now it will be relegated to a small group of people, as was
          the case once with the Internet.

          Cheers -

          george