Re: MD minidisc to laptop via audacity

  • gem
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2005
      hi stavros, i think you're having this problem because most laptops only
      have a mic-in (microphone input) port and headphone-out port because they're
      trying to save space or something.

      desktops have three, line-in (blue colored hole), mic-in (pink colored
      hole), and speaker out (green hole). that's why you used to get the MD to
      record okay when you used your desktop. when you plug the MD into the mic-in
      instead of the line-in, screwy things happen. i suppose only microphones are
      supposed to be plugged in the mic-in. (i don't know much about technical
      things.)

      so anyway if you're planning on only bringing a laptop and minidisc to
      kazahkstan and would find it difficult to find a desktop computer with a
      regular line-in port, i suggest you buy a hi-md recorder. they're not that
      expensive nowadays. they can record, and not only that they can upload
      recordings you made yourself via USB (like, really upload to the computer.
      not the "plug into line-in, press 'Play', and wait for hours till it
      finishes playing and recording into Audcacity" way of uploading of the
      net-md and older minidiscs. not real-time recording in other words).

      the NH800 is a good basic model i think. there are more expensive ones but i
      don't think you'll need their features (like the RH10 is expensive because
      it's got a cute glow in the dark oled screen.. etc..). that way, you won't
      have to worry about recording on the md first, and then recording it back
      into the computer. you can just record on the hi-md, and then upload it to
      the computer. it uploads as .wav so you'll still have to convert. you can
      still use your old discs too. you don't have to buy the new 1gb hi-md discs
      since they're pricier. in fact you can reformat your old discs on the hi-md
      recorder to make the storage space slightly larger.

      i suppose you can always buy an external USB sound card like this sound
      blaster live! external<http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=206&product=10702>one
      (which would be cheaper than buying a new hi-md recorder). and then
      plug
      your minidisc into the external USB sound card's line-in port like you used
      to do when you had a desktop and then record to Audacity. but i still think
      it's cooler to just upgrade your minidisc. but that's only because i'm a
      minidisc-obssessed fangirl so you don't have to take me seriously, heheh..

      gem
      misadventures in taiwan
      podcast<http://http://web.tnnua.edu.tw/%7Eg920713/blog.1.html>

      Message: 21
      Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 00:19:42 -0000
      Wrom:
      HYUCDDJBLVLMHAALPTCXLYRWTQTIPWIGYOKSTTZRCLBDXRQBGJSNBOHMKHJYFMYXOEAIJJPHSCRTNHGSWZIDREXCAXZOWCONEUQZAAFXISHJEXXIMQZUIVOTQNQEMSFDULHPQQW
      Subject: sound quality help - md to laptop via audacity

      I'm going to set up a podcast when I get to Kazakhstan next month.

      Can't transter my minidisc recording to my new laptop with the right
      sound quality, it's loud and unclear. I use audacity with the rest of
      the standard stuff. I used to do it on my desktop ok.

      I'm frustrated as I'm set to make a unique podcast and with little
      time left before I go need to get this ironed out.

      Suggestions?

      Stavros
      Ottawa, Canada

      --
      The truly evil thing about heroin is it doesn't always kill you. Sometimes
      it just turns you into Keith Richards.

    • thesoundofyoungamerica
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2005
        Stavros -- Something to try before you go and buy a new MD recorder:

        Typically, the mic input is amplified, since microphones have a much
        lower output level than the typical line-in.

        Open your volume control (this presumes Windows, I would imagine
        there's some equivalent on Mac), by going to Start-->Accessories--
        >Entertainment--->Volume Control. Go to Options/Properties, and
        choose recording (this will give you control of the recording levels,
        rather than the output levels.) Click OK and you should see the
        recording levels for all your inputs. Your mic-in should have a
        little check box for microphone pre-amp, it's +10 dB or something
        like that. Uncheck it. Even if it doesn't have this box, try
        lowering the record level.

        You can also try lowering the output level on your MD. If you're
        just plugged into the headphone jack, you can just lower the volume.

        Hope that helps.

        Jesse
        The Sound of Young America
        http://www.splangy.com/radio/
      • Joe Blow
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 29, 2005
          Stavros,

          I use a MD also and when I want to upload to a lap top (Windows), I use the Griffin I-Mic. Don't know if this is the best tech way but it works for me! Good Luck!!!

          Henry