Re: [podcasters] Support Your Podcast By Encouraging Listeners to Unsubscribe

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2005
      On 9/28/05, Garrick Van Buren <garrick.vanburen@...> wrote:
      > On this first anniversary of podcasting, I think we should all take a
      > moment and review our subscriptions and ask, "Am I listening to what
      > I'm downloading?".

      I certainly do. Everything I grab goes into a (Playcount = 0)
      smartlist, which I then listen to on shuffle. So it all gets heard
      exactly once. >8->

      Interestingly, iTunes's built in podcatcher (which I don't use much)
      has an even better trick. If you don't listen to a podcast for a
      while, it stops downloading new shows. Then if you listen to one of
      the shows you've already grabbed, it goes back to downloading. It's
      very clever that way.

      > As I describe in a recent post at
      > http://workingpathways.com/workbetter/ , we should encourage our
      > subscribers to do the same.

      I read your rationale, but I don't think I can do that. Partly
      because I try not to talk too much about podcasting; but mostly
      because I don't feel it's my business to tell listeners how to manage
      their workflow.

      And I don't think it's necessary. Advertisers don't (or shouldn't)
      expect 100% penetration from any campaign, and for the podcaster,
      wasting some unmeasurable portion of your bandwidth is just part of
      the cost of doing business. Your free local events paper doesn't put
      up signs that say "Please do not take if you don't intend to read."
      My TiVo doesn't warn me, "Please do not record this program if you're
      unlikely to watch it later."

      When you publish a podcast you're implicitly putting a sign up that
      says "FREE! TAKE ONE!" What people do with it after that is beyond
      your control and that's fine. Besides, you never know. Someone might
      stumble across your files on their iPod a few months later, kick
      themselves for not listening to you in the meantime, and tell all
      their friends. >8->

      http://www.escapepod.info