Re: How can podcasters help in New Orleans?

  • Mike OConnor
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 2, 2005
      Thanks for the thoughts. I agree -- podcasting isn't a great medium
      for the immediate rescue situation, for all the reasons you all mention.

      But a lot of this will involve ongoing recovery and rebuilding. Let
      me throw out some ideas to spark your thinking...

      How can podcasts help families deal with the emotional trauma that
      they've been through? Perhaps by providing a different medium for
      them to communicate with each other? or a different way to receive
      supportive messages? etc...

      How can podcasts help relief workers do their job? Maybe by providing
      targeted updates that are too narrowly focused to warrant air-time on
      the local radio station? Or "briefing books" that are super-targeted
      for newly-arriving relief workers to lift the training burden off the
      folks who are already there?

      How can podcasts help relief agencies raise money? Maybe
      mini-"pod-athons" aimed at widely-dispersed communities that would be
      hard to reach with mass media?

      How can podcasts help the general public remain engaged in the
      recovery effort after the mass media have moved on to other topics?
      Again, maybe through community-focused or family-focused updates?

      That's the kinda stuff I'm puzzling about right now...

    • ecomputerd
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2, 2005
        A couple of unorganized thoughts from near the affected area.

        I just got power and phone and internet connection back near
        Jackson, Mississippi. I've been trying to figure out the best way to
        be of assistance.

        I'm wondering why there isn't a group of bloggers on the other end
        of the HAM radio transcribing everything coming out of the
        southeast. The HAM Radio people have got it right, I think, with
        emergency relays. It's unclear to me what kind model the podcasting
        community could best have to be of the greatest assistance.

        I heard one claim that gas supply is out "in patches" referring to
        the entire nation. In/near Jackson (Central Mississippi), there is
        very little gas with lines in some places half a mile long or more
        waiting for a tanker truck to refill the gas station. Reading
        various blogs and MSM over the past 2 days, there appear to be
        conflicting reports on whether this is a supply problem or a
        distribution problem. Officials I think have said its just a
        distribution problem, but then why has the US requested assistance
        from the EU for *supply*? So much information is coming at me, it's
        hard to remember where and who and when.

        Podcasters, bloggers, and videobloggers could all step up to report
        consistencies and inconsistencies in MSM and other blogs and what is
        happening in their part of the US and their part of the world.

        If I may offer an analogy, radio is the "newspaper" and
        blogging/podcasting/videoblogging is the "magazine".

        Mississippi Public Broadcasting has really stepped up to provide
        communication to and about the coast throughout the last week.

        During the 4 days of power outage for me, radio was a vital link.
        Both Mississippi Public Broadcasting reporting big-picture news and
        several other stations turning into talk radio with phone calls and
        official information distribution. Notably, locally, 96.3 (if I
        recall correctly) had live call-ins overnight with live hosts. Very
        significant in this modern radio landscape of automation.

        Greg Smith

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Wayne Selznick <mws@m...>
        wrote:
        > Stephen Eley wrote:
        > > I really do hate to be the naysayer here, but I think there's
        little
        > > you can do to help or communicate to hurricane victims directly
        with
        > > podcasting.
        >
        > Too true. Radio *is* the best medium in this situation.
        >
        > Of course, many folks have Red Cross links set up, or donation
        > campaigns, or both (http://www.mwsmedia.com). I think talking it
        up in
        > our podcasts is the most important thing we can do right now.
        >
        > If the podosphere can get together to get a couple of little dogs
        out of
        > quarantine, surely we can raise 100K for this tragedy... at least!
        >
        > --
        > Matthew Wayne Selznick
        > MWS Media
        > http://www.mwsmedia.com
        > 505-DIY-0386
        > SKYPE: mwsmedia
        > "Because doing it yourself
        > should never mean going it alone."
      • ronharpervoice
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 2, 2005
          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Mike OConnor" <mike@h...> wrote:

          > Food for thought. My plan is to cut the show when I get to the farm
          > on Saturday -- I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
          >

          > Mike O'Connor -- www.haven.com

          Mike: Here's my thoughts, filtered from being both a broadcaster and a
          former resident of New Orleans. Since there's no way for those folks
          to access the web and subscribe to a podcast, their interests might
          better be served if you would get out some basic information: like how
          the Bush administration CUT funding to improve the levee system in New
          Orleans...like how the federal government AND the state government
          refused to do anything about improving and protecting the pumps at the
          17th street canal (near the point on Lake Ponchatrain where the wall
          broke) You may have seen Mayor Ray Nagin on TV, but you've never heard
          him like this: http://www.atypical.net/mm/nagin.mp3
          That's the complete WWL interview on Garland Robinette's show THAT's
          what people who think they can watch CNN and get all the news need to
          hear. And I'm not even going to mention the STAGED demonstration for
          the CNN cameras at the NOLA Convention Center that they used in their
          segment breakers four times last night.