Re: [podcasters] Re: NPR Podcast Directory Launches

  • Pat Carney
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
      Shows currently podcasting from Public Radio International:

      Echoes -- Soundscapes and Artist Interviews (PRI)
      Studio 360 (PRI/WYNC)
      Brain Brew (PRI)
      Michael Feldman's Whad'ya Know? (PRI/WPR)
      PRI�s The World - Geo Quiz (BBC, PRI, WGBH)
      To The Point (PRI/KCRW)
      American Routes (PRI)
      PRI Best of Our Knowledge (PRI/WPR)
      Open Source (PRI)
      And all the BBC�

      Pat Carney
      The Carney Group
      837 Glenwood Avenue
      Minneapolis, MN 55405
      (612) 746-5889

      Writers �[make] a living out of ambivalence. Where would the art of
      fiction be if there were no double meanings? What would life itself be
      if there were only heads or tails and nothing in between?�
      J.M. Cotzee

      On Sep 1, 2005, at 11:53 AM, thesoundofyoungamerica wrote:

      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, J Wynia <j@w...> wrote:
      >> Stephen Eley wrote:
      >>> That must also be why Marketplace still isn't on the list.
      >>> (Naturally, the show I'm most interested in...)
      >>
      >> The patchwork of program sources also comes into play. Much of what
      >> listeners consider "NPR" is actually a locally blended combination of
      >> programming from NPR-proper, PRI, American Public Media, individual
      >> public radio stations, etc. As such, NPR doesn't actually have
      >> permissions or ownership over much of what gets considered "NPR".
      >
      > Yeah, Marketplace is distributed by American Public Media, which has
      > been the most aggressive about challenging NPR.
      >
      > This confusion became a big issue when NPR got the huge bequest from
      > Jean Kroc, the McDonald's heiress. Apparently, her favorite "NPR" show
      > was PRI's "This American Life."
      >
      > That said, I really wonder what the criteria are for getting into this
      > list. Are there any programs from independent stations like New York's
      > WFMU on there? I didn't see any. There were some non-NPR shows from
      > NPR member stations (like KCRW's shows, for example).
      >
      > Jesse

    • Bill Zegarski
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
        that, and the whole NPR/Audible unholy alliance...