Re: NPR Podcast Directory Launches

  • thesoundofyoungamerica
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, J Wynia <j@w...> wrote:
      > Stephen Eley wrote:
      > > That must also be why Marketplace still isn't on the list.
      > > (Naturally, the show I'm most interested in...)
      >
      > The patchwork of program sources also comes into play. Much of what
      > listeners consider "NPR" is actually a locally blended combination of
      > programming from NPR-proper, PRI, American Public Media, individual
      > public radio stations, etc. As such, NPR doesn't actually have
      > permissions or ownership over much of what gets considered "NPR".

      Yeah, Marketplace is distributed by American Public Media, which has
      been the most aggressive about challenging NPR.

      This confusion became a big issue when NPR got the huge bequest from
      Jean Kroc, the McDonald's heiress. Apparently, her favorite "NPR" show
      was PRI's "This American Life."

      That said, I really wonder what the criteria are for getting into this
      list. Are there any programs from independent stations like New York's
      WFMU on there? I didn't see any. There were some non-NPR shows from
      NPR member stations (like KCRW's shows, for example).

      Jesse
    • J Wynia
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
        Oh, absolutely. A great deal of what I listen to via podcast
        subscription is NPR, ripped public radio (recorded streams), Australian
        Public Radio, BBC, etc. Many of the shows I enjoy on FM public radio
        aren't available and any push in this direction is a good one. I'll
        definitely be filling my subscription list from this resource.

        I also think that there are several groups that have produced stuff for
        any one of the above that are now looking at podcasting directly as a
        viable option as well. I'll be surprised if we don't get a
        pseudo-Internet Public Radio that aggregates that kind of content into a
        single brand for the purposes of fundraising, i.e. adding the
        pledgedrive kind of content to the programming and handling those
        contributions, distributing to the producers.

        Of course, I tend to take a bit of a different take on podcasting from
        many others. I definitely seperate the genres of content from the
        distribution channel. To me, much of the podcasting discussion and
        chatter concerns the content and formats of the content. Much of that is
        about whether they'll replace blogs, how they relate to blogs, etc.
        However, that's very focused on who the initial adopters of this
        distribution channel are and how they're using it (a lot of 3 guys and a
        mic talking about news, audio blogging, here's some music I like, etc.).

        The distribution channel itself (subscribed, asynchronous media) is
        actually bigger than just podcasting as it exists today. Parallels to
        radio and TV are obvious: early TV content was little more than talking
        heads. Radio was similar, with people just playing records/wax cylinders
        over the air. Over time, those evolved into a much more sophisticated
        types of content. However, the distribution method: free delivery of
        audio and video to home receivers changed very little. Stereo was added
        to radio, color to TV, etc., but it still changed greatly. However,
        those aren't the only parallels because much of the business model that
        grew up around those (and around movie distribution as well) centered
        around the problem of the cost of duplication and limited availability.
        There can only be so many channels in the frequency band (or cable
        capacity or sattelite capacity) and the scarcity of those resources has
        routed the content through corporations who control those limited
        resources. As a result, advertising, inserted into the content, which
        was only available to the users via the restricted bandwidth became a
        viable model for giving the content away (over the air TV), while still
        paying the producers of content (much of which was produced by 3rd
        parties and syndicated to the TV stations).
        The Internet changes that pretty dramatically. Effectively unlimited
        bandwidth and near zero cost of distribution mean that the previously
        viable model of a middleman making sure that the content both gets
        distributed and the producer gets paid falls down. I think we're
        starting to see the beginnings of people trying to figure out how to
        "monetize" this stuff (even if only to the degree of ensuring that the
        actual costs of production are covered and no profit sought). TV on DVD,
        cable's On Demand programming, etc. are dealing with it in the TV arena,
        but there will be much shaking out of this stuff over the next couple of
        years.

        And, lest anyone think that it's going too fast to take several years,
        just consider how the fast paced Internet space itself has changed. Only
        now, 10 years after I first got online have we seen maturity (meaning
        that it's used for the full spectrum of messages to be delivered:
        including commercial, personal, etc.) and some stability. Early Internet
        content was pretty homogenous and I think the current homogeneity in
        podcasting will also diversify and I really look forward to it.

        --
        J Wynia
        The Glass is Too Big
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
          Shows currently podcasting from Public Radio International:

          Echoes -- Soundscapes and Artist Interviews (PRI)
          Studio 360 (PRI/WYNC)
          Brain Brew (PRI)
          Michael Feldman's Whad'ya Know? (PRI/WPR)
          PRI�s The World - Geo Quiz (BBC, PRI, WGBH)
          To The Point (PRI/KCRW)
          American Routes (PRI)
          PRI Best of Our Knowledge (PRI/WPR)
          Open Source (PRI)
          And all the BBC�

          Pat Carney
          The Carney Group
          837 Glenwood Avenue
          Minneapolis, MN 55405
          (612) 746-5889

          Writers �[make] a living out of ambivalence. Where would the art of
          fiction be if there were no double meanings? What would life itself be
          if there were only heads or tails and nothing in between?�
          J.M. Cotzee

          On Sep 1, 2005, at 11:53 AM, thesoundofyoungamerica wrote:

          > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, J Wynia <j@w...> wrote:
          >> Stephen Eley wrote:
          >>> That must also be why Marketplace still isn't on the list.
          >>> (Naturally, the show I'm most interested in...)
          >>
          >> The patchwork of program sources also comes into play. Much of what
          >> listeners consider "NPR" is actually a locally blended combination of
          >> programming from NPR-proper, PRI, American Public Media, individual
          >> public radio stations, etc. As such, NPR doesn't actually have
          >> permissions or ownership over much of what gets considered "NPR".
          >
          > Yeah, Marketplace is distributed by American Public Media, which has
          > been the most aggressive about challenging NPR.
          >
          > This confusion became a big issue when NPR got the huge bequest from
          > Jean Kroc, the McDonald's heiress. Apparently, her favorite "NPR" show
          > was PRI's "This American Life."
          >
          > That said, I really wonder what the criteria are for getting into this
          > list. Are there any programs from independent stations like New York's
          > WFMU on there? I didn't see any. There were some non-NPR shows from
          > NPR member stations (like KCRW's shows, for example).
          >
          > Jesse

        • Bill Zegarski
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
            that, and the whole NPR/Audible unholy alliance...