Re: [podcasters] NPR Podcast Directory Launches

  • J Wynia
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
      Stephen Eley wrote:

      > On 8/31/05, thesoundofyoungamerica <thesoundofyoungamerica@...>
      > wrote:
      > > A nice implementation, I think. NPR programs aren't podcasting in
      > > full, since that would piss off local stations to no end.
      >
      > That must also be why Marketplace still isn't on the list.
      > (Naturally, the show I'm most interested in...)

      The patchwork of program sources also comes into play. Much of what
      listeners consider "NPR" is actually a locally blended combination of
      programming from NPR-proper, PRI, American Public Media, individual
      public radio stations, etc. As such, NPR doesn't actually have
      permissions or ownership over much of what gets considered "NPR".

      --
      J Wynia
      The Glass is Too Big
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
        Still, this is a great resource! Perhaps it will motivate PRI and others to consider podcasting shows after their airing.

        - Steve

        > > A nice implementation, I think. NPR programs aren't podcasting in
        > > full, since that would piss off local stations to no end.
        >
        > That must also be why Marketplace still isn't on the list.
        > (Naturally, the show I'm most interested in...)

        The patchwork of program sources also comes into play. Much of what
        listeners consider "NPR" is actually a locally blended combination of
        programming from NPR-proper, PRI, American Public Media, individual
        public radio stations, etc. As such, NPR doesn't actually have
        permissions or ownership over much of what gets considered "NPR".

        --
        J Wynia
        The Glass is Too Big
        http://www.wynia.org
        j@...

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • thesoundofyoungamerica
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, J Wynia <j@w...> wrote:
          > Stephen Eley wrote:
          > > That must also be why Marketplace still isn't on the list.
          > > (Naturally, the show I'm most interested in...)
          >
          > The patchwork of program sources also comes into play. Much of what
          > listeners consider "NPR" is actually a locally blended combination of
          > programming from NPR-proper, PRI, American Public Media, individual
          > public radio stations, etc. As such, NPR doesn't actually have
          > permissions or ownership over much of what gets considered "NPR".

          Yeah, Marketplace is distributed by American Public Media, which has
          been the most aggressive about challenging NPR.

          This confusion became a big issue when NPR got the huge bequest from
          Jean Kroc, the McDonald's heiress. Apparently, her favorite "NPR" show
          was PRI's "This American Life."

          That said, I really wonder what the criteria are for getting into this
          list. Are there any programs from independent stations like New York's
          WFMU on there? I didn't see any. There were some non-NPR shows from
          NPR member stations (like KCRW's shows, for example).

          Jesse
        • J Wynia
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
            Oh, absolutely. A great deal of what I listen to via podcast
            subscription is NPR, ripped public radio (recorded streams), Australian
            Public Radio, BBC, etc. Many of the shows I enjoy on FM public radio
            aren't available and any push in this direction is a good one. I'll
            definitely be filling my subscription list from this resource.

            I also think that there are several groups that have produced stuff for
            any one of the above that are now looking at podcasting directly as a
            viable option as well. I'll be surprised if we don't get a
            pseudo-Internet Public Radio that aggregates that kind of content into a
            single brand for the purposes of fundraising, i.e. adding the
            pledgedrive kind of content to the programming and handling those
            contributions, distributing to the producers.

            Of course, I tend to take a bit of a different take on podcasting from
            many others. I definitely seperate the genres of content from the
            distribution channel. To me, much of the podcasting discussion and
            chatter concerns the content and formats of the content. Much of that is
            about whether they'll replace blogs, how they relate to blogs, etc.
            However, that's very focused on who the initial adopters of this
            distribution channel are and how they're using it (a lot of 3 guys and a
            mic talking about news, audio blogging, here's some music I like, etc.).

            The distribution channel itself (subscribed, asynchronous media) is
            actually bigger than just podcasting as it exists today. Parallels to
            radio and TV are obvious: early TV content was little more than talking
            heads. Radio was similar, with people just playing records/wax cylinders
            over the air. Over time, those evolved into a much more sophisticated
            types of content. However, the distribution method: free delivery of
            audio and video to home receivers changed very little. Stereo was added
            to radio, color to TV, etc., but it still changed greatly. However,
            those aren't the only parallels because much of the business model that
            grew up around those (and around movie distribution as well) centered
            around the problem of the cost of duplication and limited availability.
            There can only be so many channels in the frequency band (or cable
            capacity or sattelite capacity) and the scarcity of those resources has
            routed the content through corporations who control those limited
            resources. As a result, advertising, inserted into the content, which
            was only available to the users via the restricted bandwidth became a
            viable model for giving the content away (over the air TV), while still
            paying the producers of content (much of which was produced by 3rd
            parties and syndicated to the TV stations).
            The Internet changes that pretty dramatically. Effectively unlimited
            bandwidth and near zero cost of distribution mean that the previously
            viable model of a middleman making sure that the content both gets
            distributed and the producer gets paid falls down. I think we're
            starting to see the beginnings of people trying to figure out how to
            "monetize" this stuff (even if only to the degree of ensuring that the
            actual costs of production are covered and no profit sought). TV on DVD,
            cable's On Demand programming, etc. are dealing with it in the TV arena,
            but there will be much shaking out of this stuff over the next couple of
            years.

            And, lest anyone think that it's going too fast to take several years,
            just consider how the fast paced Internet space itself has changed. Only
            now, 10 years after I first got online have we seen maturity (meaning
            that it's used for the full spectrum of messages to be delivered:
            including commercial, personal, etc.) and some stability. Early Internet
            content was pretty homogenous and I think the current homogeneity in
            podcasting will also diversify and I really look forward to it.

            --
            J Wynia
            The Glass is Too Big
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
              Shows currently podcasting from Public Radio International:

              Echoes -- Soundscapes and Artist Interviews (PRI)
              Studio 360 (PRI/WYNC)
              Brain Brew (PRI)
              Michael Feldman's Whad'ya Know? (PRI/WPR)
              PRI�s The World - Geo Quiz (BBC, PRI, WGBH)
              To The Point (PRI/KCRW)
              American Routes (PRI)
              PRI Best of Our Knowledge (PRI/WPR)
              Open Source (PRI)
              And all the BBC�

              Pat Carney
              The Carney Group
              837 Glenwood Avenue
              Minneapolis, MN 55405
              (612) 746-5889

              Writers �[make] a living out of ambivalence. Where would the art of
              fiction be if there were no double meanings? What would life itself be
              if there were only heads or tails and nothing in between?�
              J.M. Cotzee

              On Sep 1, 2005, at 11:53 AM, thesoundofyoungamerica wrote:

              > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, J Wynia <j@w...> wrote:
              >> Stephen Eley wrote:
              >>> That must also be why Marketplace still isn't on the list.
              >>> (Naturally, the show I'm most interested in...)
              >>
              >> The patchwork of program sources also comes into play. Much of what
              >> listeners consider "NPR" is actually a locally blended combination of
              >> programming from NPR-proper, PRI, American Public Media, individual
              >> public radio stations, etc. As such, NPR doesn't actually have
              >> permissions or ownership over much of what gets considered "NPR".
              >
              > Yeah, Marketplace is distributed by American Public Media, which has
              > been the most aggressive about challenging NPR.
              >
              > This confusion became a big issue when NPR got the huge bequest from
              > Jean Kroc, the McDonald's heiress. Apparently, her favorite "NPR" show
              > was PRI's "This American Life."
              >
              > That said, I really wonder what the criteria are for getting into this
              > list. Are there any programs from independent stations like New York's
              > WFMU on there? I didn't see any. There were some non-NPR shows from
              > NPR member stations (like KCRW's shows, for example).
              >
              > Jesse

            • Bill Zegarski
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
                that, and the whole NPR/Audible unholy alliance...

                > A nice implementation, I think. NPR programs aren't podcasting in
                > full, since that would piss off local stations to no end.

                That must also be why Marketplace still isn't on the list.
                (Naturally, the show I'm most interested in...)

                ESCAPE POD - the SF podcast magazine
                http://escape.extraneous.org

                Visit your group "podcasters" on the web.