Output device problem with Audacity on OSX

  • tara_oh_hell_what_now
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
      hello,

      I am totally new to podcasting. I have downloaded Audacity. It seems
      that I can record, but I cannot play back. I get the following error
      message:

      Error while opening sound device. Please check the output device
      settings and the project sample rate.

      I am using a USB Plantronics headset.

      Where should I start troubleshooting?

      Thanks in advance,

      Stephanie Booth

      --
      This e-mail was dictated using iListen and may contain recognition errors.
      http://climbtothestars.org -- http://stephanie-booth.com --
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
        Stephanie,

        I'm also new, and using a Plantronics headset with Audacity on OSX! :)

        First, make certain you've plugged your headset into a powered USB port; i.e. a port on the
        Mac itself, and not on the keyboard. (I'll guess this isn't a problem, though, as you say you
        can record.)

        First off, what is your Mac set up - model Mac, OSX version, etc.?

        In the Audacity preferences, check the Audio I/O settings. The playback device menu
        should say Plantronics headset; so should the input device menu. This will allow you to
        hear your playback through the headset.

        As for project sample rate, I've just been using the default settings of 44100 Hz and 32-
        bit float. I have no clue what that means. I haven't yet gotten to the point of resampling for
        final podcast, as I'm still recording basic tracks.

        Now, are you trying to export to MP3 in order to listen to your work? If so, you need to
        download the free LAME library extension (also available through the Audacity website).

        Hope this helps; I've pretty much told you what little I know.

        tim

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "tara_oh_hell_what_now" <tellme@c...> wrote:
        > hello,
        >
        > I am totally new to podcasting. I have downloaded Audacity. It seems
        > that I can record, but I cannot play back. I get the following error
        > message:
        >
        > Error while opening sound device. Please check the output device
        > settings and the project sample rate.
        >
        > I am using a USB Plantronics headset.
        >

        > Where should I start troubleshooting?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Stephanie Booth
        >
        > --
        > This e-mail was dictated using iListen and may contain recognition errors.
        > http://climbtothestars.org -- http://stephanie-booth.com --
        > http://flickr.com/photos/bunny
      • Tim Elliott
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
          <tellme@c...> wrote:
          > hello,
          >
          > I am totally new to podcasting. I have downloaded Audacity. It seems
          > that I can record, but I cannot play back. I get the following error
          > message:
          >
          > Error while opening sound device. Please check the output device
          > settings and the project sample rate.
          >
          > I am using a USB Plantronics headset.
          >

          > Where should I start troubleshooting?

          Hi Stephanie,

          I'm afraid that the current release of Audacity is not compatible with
          MacOS X Tiger. Since you are new to podcasting, I'd suggest you try
          to learn Garageband 2. Apple has a bit on this here:
          http://www.apple.com/support/garageband/podcasts/

          You could always fall back to Panther on another volume for recording,
          as some of us do, where Audacity works fine. If you go this route,
          I'd also suggest you export as WAV from Audacity and not use their
          LAME mp3 export. I have had bad luck with that; WAV to mp3 and/or aac
          in iTunes gives you much better sound quality IMHO.

          Good luck,
          --
          Tim Elliott
          Winecast
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
            Off hand, I don't know what it might be. If you'd like to iChat or
            Skype me, I'll be happy to trouble shoot with you?

            iChat or Skype: PalmMagnate.

            Best,
            Phillip

            On 9/1/05, tara_oh_hell_what_now <tellme@...> wrote:
            > hello,
            >
            > I am totally new to podcasting. I have downloaded Audacity. It seems
            > that I can record, but I cannot play back. I get the following error
            > message:
            >
            > Error while opening sound device. Please check the output device
            > settings and the project sample rate.
            >
            > I am using a USB Plantronics headset.
            >

            > Where should I start troubleshooting?
            >
            > Thanks in advance,
            >
            > Stephanie Booth
            >
            > --
            > This e-mail was dictated using iListen and may contain recognition errors.
            > http://climbtothestars.org -- http://stephanie-booth.com --
            > http://flickr.com/photos/bunny

            ______\\\\////________
            Phillip J. Zannini
            Host: MacPhilly Almost Live
            Author: A Mac Eye for the Windows Guy (c)
            RSS: feeds.feedburner.com/MacPhilly
            http://macphilly.com/
          • Phillip (MacPhilly) Zannini
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
              Ah, I guess I won't need to. :-)

              --
              ______\\\\////________
              Phillip J. Zannini
              Author: A Mac Eye for the Windows Guy (c)
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
                On 9/1/05, Tim Elliott <twelliott@...> wrote:

                > I'm afraid that the current release of Audacity is not compatible with
                > MacOS X Tiger. Since you are new to podcasting, I'd suggest you try
                > to learn Garageband 2. Apple has a bit on this here:
                > http://www.apple.com/support/garageband/podcasts/

                Clarification: Audacity does mostly work under Tiger; I've been using
                it for months now and it does everything I need. Early on I ran into
                the same problem Stephanie did, that it has trouble outputting through
                a USB device, but that's the only broken thing I've seen. If you
                listen through other headphones it all works fine.

                > You could always fall back to Panther on another volume for recording,
                > as some of us do, where Audacity works fine. If you go this route,
                > I'd also suggest you export as WAV from Audacity and not use their
                > LAME mp3 export. I have had bad luck with that; WAV to mp3 and/or aac
                > in iTunes gives you much better sound quality IMHO.

                I don't think it uses ideal LAME settings. What I do is export to
                AIFF and then run LAME from the command line.

                ESCAPE POD - the SF podcast magazine
                http://escape.extraneous.org
              • tara_oh_hell_what_now
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
                  Thanks a lot to everybody who replied. It's indeed ok if I choose
                  something else than my USB headset as output.

                  Soon to be podcasting (when my classes are ready)

                  Steph