Re: [podcasters] Podcasting to your cell phone's voicemail bo

  • Chris Cochran
    Message 1 of 39 , Aug 31, 2005
      Jake Wrote: The early adopters all have Smartphones/Blackberrys/Treos and
      don't need it.
      This is old thinking. The market is moving away from a model where the
      service providers have all the control. The market is moving toward
      convergent devices with phone service and hard drives

      I am a Verizon customer and let me tell you that they (one of the largest in
      the country) are doing just the opposite. EVERY new phone they offer has
      abilities that they disable. They have a model where you have to hack your
      phone to add a ring tone that you make yourself!

      Secondly one of the things this is being compared to is the wallpaper and
      ringtones market...Who are the major purchasers of those things...Does
      anyone know the data? My hunch is it is a bunch of teenagers! How many of
      us have a LARGE number of teenagers listening to our podcasts? And how many
      of those teenagers are going to listen on their phone to a show they wont
      listen to on their iPod? Ring tones and Wallpaper are all about ³Bling.²
      How is listening to Dot Net Rocks or TWIT even close to bling? Wait...Is
      there a bunch of rap podcasts? Maybe this would work...Most kids I know are
      way into rappers that no one has ever heard of.

      Just my 2 cents.

      I still like the model as a tool like movie phone...But that eliminates all
      of the entertainment podcasts.

      Chris

    • Jimmy
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 1, 2005
        > I am a Verizon customer and let me tell you that they (one of the
        largest in
        > the country) are doing just the opposite. EVERY new phone they
        offer has
        > abilities that they disable. They have a model where you have to
        hack your
        > phone to add a ring tone that you make yourself!

        Yeah, this is pretty insane. I have the motorola v710 which I got
        about a year ago. I can copy anything onto a little card and then slip
        that into the phone and put it wherever I wat in the phone. I can use
        ringtones and whatever. My friend just got the updated version
        recently and I tried to give her some of my ringtones (since when you
        replace a phone you lose all your old ringtones) but the copy feature
        was not available. That's gotta be criminal, not letting you use a
        feature already in the machine, to keep you from using your own stuff?