Re: [podcasters] Re: Mobile Podcasting using the Edirol R1 portable recorder

  • Joe Blow
    Message 1 of 52 , Aug 31, 2005
      Ron,

      I bought the Yamaha MG8/2 which is reasonably priced with great mic pre-amps...but this is just my opinion (everyone has one). In that vein, try going to harmonycentral.com or zzounds.com where people who have bought mics / recorders etc... rate the products preformance. Lots of info there.

      Henry

      paul <prp6040@...> wrote:
      --- Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
      > Thanks ... I see no point to the mixer myself, as it
      > looks like I
      > can do most things in post, though I would like it
      > if I could just
      > set and forget the EQ and balance.

      Exactly. You have what you have, so use it. The iriver
      aint a bad little device for what it can do. Should of
      bought one myself. I just hit record, and let the
      tools I have do their respective tasks.

      > And I get the subtle sense that you think the
      > Behringer is crap.
      > Tell me more ... and what's good?

      When I used to do consulting, I did sell Behringer.
      Except I couldn't call it crap. It was called
      "economical". But I would have easily sold a Mackie
      VLZ or Onyx series. Allen and Heath, or Trident audio.
      But all those are overkill for your application. The
      closest thing I can think of that you could use, and
      is a really quality piece of gear, is made by Rane.

      http://rane.com/mlm42.html

      Great single space rack mountable mixer. Street price
      about $340.00. Again though, I think still overkill.
      The right tool for the right job. You need
      portability, ease of use, functionality, and quality
      in one box. And you already know your options there.

      The recording equipment industry has not caught on to
      podcasting yet, but they are aware of it. I have
      already spoken to one company about a podcasters
      needs, and hope something will come of it. It takes
      quite some time to research, develop, and create a new
      product, so we have to use what they have right now.

      Hope this helps.

      Paul Puri
      Unsigned Podcast Network

      Skype:unsignedpodcast
      The site: http://www.unsignedpodcast.com/
      The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
      The feed: http://www.unsignedpodcast.com/podcast.php
      The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast

      Promotion without shame.
      Podcasting Announcements

      Communication and networking Wireless communication and networking

    • Ron Jeffries
      Message 52 of 52 , Sep 1, 2005
        On Thursday, September 1, 2005, at 1:53:58 AM, Chris Cochran wrote:

        > Tascam has a couple of portable recorders Pocket Studio they are called.
        > They will do all that you want them to and to it in MP3 format. They
        > discontinued a couple that are really nice and can be had for less than $300
        > on line. The one I use even has a built in mixer, limiter, etc. It will
        > take line level, if you use a DI box or transducers. It sounds like what
        > you are looking for.

        I did check them out and they look cool. It appears that TASCAM has
        abandoned that market. Not that it matters, if the recorders work
        well, I guess it doesn't matter but I do wonder ...

        Ron Jeffries
        www.XProgramming.com
        The model that really matters is the one that people have in
        their minds. All other models and documentation exist only to
        get the right model into the right mind at the right time.
        -- Paul Oldfield