Re: How does itunes update?

  • Jimmy
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 31, 2005
      > You will end it with the xml ending. I'm fairly new to podcasting
      > myself. I use a Mac and I found a great easy to use program that does
      > all the xml coding called "Feeder"
      > http://www.reinventedsoftware.com/ Yes I had to pay for it, but it is
      > well worth the money if you don't want to spend time with code.

      Thanks to an e-mail I got from Rob at podcast411, I now have a pretyyu
      good idea of how all this stuff works. I'm using notepad to do my
      editing, I'm sure if you took the time it would work for you to.

      As for the second episode thing, it has everything to do with the
      items tag. For each episode of your podcast you want in your feed you
      need to give it another item tag in the same feed. Of you created a
      whole new feed for the second episode, it will never find it's way to
      the places the first episode went to. You can put between 10 to 15
      items (episodes) into your xml feed. iTunes and other aggregators go
      out on a daily basis and looks at the xml file to see if it's been
      changed. If it has, it downloads the newest episode for people who
      have subscribed.

      I did it, and it's working awesome so far. I've already got a Podcast
      on iTunes, and I started looking into how to do this around Friday
      night. My show is the Amazing Customs Podcast, a how-to for
      customizing action figures. The feed is:
      http://www.amazingcustoms.com/feed.xml

      Hope that helps!

      -Jimmy
    • Paula Berinstein
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
        I've been having a bit of trouble with this myself. iTunes picked up my
        original feed with 8 episodes very quickly. That was last week. Then on
        Monday I added another episode using a new item tag. Zilch. It's not
        showing up. I'm a little concerned that the feed might not be valid
        because I have some special characters that I had to code starting with
        an ampersand, though I don't see why that should be a problem.

        The feed is at http://www.writingshow.com/Feeds/feed.mrss.xml.

        BTW, when you say you can put 10 to 15 episodes in a feed, are you
        saying you have to start a new feed after that?

        Thanks!

        Paula Berinstein
        The Writing Show, where writing is always the story
        www.writingshow.com

        > > You will end it with the xml ending. I'm fairly new to podcasting
        > > myself. I use a Mac and I found a great easy to use program that does
        > > all the xml coding called "Feeder"
        > > http://www.reinventedsoftware.com/ Yes I had to pay for it, but it is
        > > well worth the money if you don't want to spend time with code.
        >
        > Thanks to an e-mail I got from Rob at podcast411, I now have a pretyyu
        > good idea of how all this stuff works. I'm using notepad to do my
        > editing, I'm sure if you took the time it would work for you to.
        >
        > As for the second episode thing, it has everything to do with the
        > items tag. For each episode of your podcast you want in your feed you
        > need to give it another item tag in the same feed. Of you created a
        > whole new feed for the second episode, it will never find it's way to
        > the places the first episode went to. You can put between 10 to 15
        > items (episodes) into your xml feed. iTunes and other aggregators go
        > out on a daily basis and looks at the xml file to see if it's been
        > changed. If it has, it downloads the newest episode for people who
        > have subscribed.
        >
        > I did it, and it's working awesome so far. I've already got a Podcast
        > on iTunes, and I started looking into how to do this around Friday
        > night. My show is the Amazing Customs Podcast, a how-to for
        > customizing action figures. The feed is:
        > http://www.amazingcustoms.com/feed.xml
        >
        > Hope that helps!
        >
        > -Jimmy

      • Matt May
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
          On Sep 1, 2005, at 7:57 AM, Paula Berinstein wrote:

          > I've been having a bit of trouble with this myself. iTunes picked
          > up my
          > original feed with 8 episodes very quickly. That was last week.
          > Then on
          > Monday I added another episode using a new item tag. Zilch. It's not
          > showing up. I'm a little concerned that the feed might not be valid
          > because I have some special characters that I had to code starting
          > with
          > an ampersand, though I don't see why that should be a problem.

          Feed Validator sez:

          http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%
          2Fwww.writingshow.com%2FFeeds%2Ffeed.mrss.xml

          In the line that reads:

          Because you don't always have time to listen

          you need to change the apostrophe from a smart quote to a straight
          quote. It's encoded wrong.

          > The feed is at http://www.writingshow.com/Feeds/feed.mrss.xml.
          >
          > BTW, when you say you can put 10 to 15 episodes in a feed, are you
          > saying you have to start a new feed after that?

          Usually, the RSS generation script attached to any given blogging app
          will only display the n most recent entries, so older ones will fall
          off automagically.

          -
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
            On 9/1/05, Paula Berinstein <pberinstein@...> wrote:
            > I've been having a bit of trouble with this myself. iTunes picked up my
            > original feed with 8 episodes very quickly. That was last week. Then on
            > Monday I added another episode using a new item tag. Zilch. It's not
            > showing up. I'm a little concerned that the feed might not be valid
            > because I have some special characters that I had to code starting with
            > an ampersand, though I don't see why that should be a problem.
            >
            > The feed is at http://www.writingshow.com/Feeds/feed.mrss.xml.

            I just ran your feed through http://www.feedvalidator.org and got two
            errors: one indicating that your feed's character encoding was UTF-8
            while your server was reporting US-ASCII, and one indicating that you
            had a bad character on line 236. (Looks like a funky apostrophe
            character. Replace it with a regular single quote and you might be
            fine.)

            Good luck!

            > BTW, when you say you can put 10 to 15 episodes in a feed, are you
            > saying you have to start a new feed after that?

            No. Absolutely not. Everybody links to your feed URL, so changing it
            would break everybody's subscriptions.

            The "10 to 15" thing is somebody's idea of a rough guideline on how
            many items a feed should have; it's not enforced anywhere. (My own
            feed size is 20 items.) Once your feed is at whatever size you think
            is right, then every time you add a new item you rotate out the oldest
            one.

            You're using Wordpress, right? It should handle your feed for you
            automatically. You can set the feed size in the "Options | Reading"
            screen. Once you've got it set you shouldn't have to worry about it
            again.

            ESCAPE POD - the SF podcast magazine
            http://escape.extraneous.org
          • Paula Berinstein
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005

              > I just ran your feed through http://www.feedvalidator.org and got two
              > errors: one indicating that your feed's character encoding was UTF-8
              > while your server was reporting US-ASCII, and one indicating that you
              > had a bad character on line 236. (Looks like a funky apostrophe
              > character. Replace it with a regular single quote and you might be
              > fine.)

              Thanks, Steve. You know, that happened the other day when I had an
              invalid character, and when I fixed it, the error went away. It's not
              that I'm using the wrong encoding, it's that the other error makes the
              validator think that. I'll fix the apostrophe. The only thing I don't
              understand is that I thought you could use any character within a CDATA
              field. If that's true, why is it complaining?

              > > BTW, when you say you can put 10 to 15 episodes in a feed, are you
              > > saying you have to start a new feed after that?
              >
              > No. Absolutely not. Everybody links to your feed URL, so changing it
              > would break everybody's subscriptions.
              >
              > The "10 to 15" thing is somebody's idea of a rough guideline on how
              > many items a feed should have; it's not enforced anywhere. (My own
              > feed size is 20 items.) Once your feed is at whatever size you think
              > is right, then every time you add a new item you rotate out the oldest
              > one.
              >
              > You're using Wordpress, right? It should handle your feed for you
              > automatically. You can set the feed size in the "Options | Reading"
              > screen. Once you've got it set you shouldn't have to worry about itagain.
              >
              > --
              > Have Fun,
              > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
              > ESCAPE POD - the SF podcast magazine

              Yes, I'm using Wordpress now, although I'm going to be using some custom
              code later on.

              Thanks for the great info!!

              Best,
              Paula
            • Paula Berinstein
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
                Thank you, Matt. As I told Steve, I thought in a CDATA field you could
                use any character. Apparently not. <g>

                Best,
                Paula