NPR Podcast Directory Launches

  • thesoundofyoungamerica
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2005
      A nice implementation, I think. NPR programs aren't podcasting in
      full, since that would piss off local stations to no end. The
      directory does include public radio podcasts from (what I presume to
      be) local NPR stations (sadly, my station is not an NPR station, and is
      thus out of the loop). I'll see if I can figure out exactly who gets
      to be in the directory... if anyone knows, let me know.

      http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast/podcast_directory.php

      Again, this was first reported on http://www.iloveradio.org , run by
      the CBC's Tod Maffin, who does a great job keeping us all up to date on
      the intersection of public radio & podcasting.

      Jesse
      The Sound of Young America
      http://www.splangy.com/radio/
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
        On 8/31/05, thesoundofyoungamerica <thesoundofyoungamerica@...> wrote:
        > A nice implementation, I think. NPR programs aren't podcasting in
        > full, since that would piss off local stations to no end.

        That must also be why Marketplace still isn't on the list.
        (Naturally, the show I'm most interested in...)

        ESCAPE POD - the SF podcast magazine
        http://escape.extraneous.org
      • J Wynia
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
          Stephen Eley wrote:

          > On 8/31/05, thesoundofyoungamerica <thesoundofyoungamerica@...>
          > wrote:
          > > A nice implementation, I think. NPR programs aren't podcasting in
          > > full, since that would piss off local stations to no end.
          >
          > That must also be why Marketplace still isn't on the list.
          > (Naturally, the show I'm most interested in...)

          The patchwork of program sources also comes into play. Much of what
          listeners consider "NPR" is actually a locally blended combination of
          programming from NPR-proper, PRI, American Public Media, individual
          public radio stations, etc. As such, NPR doesn't actually have
          permissions or ownership over much of what gets considered "NPR".

          --
          J Wynia
          The Glass is Too Big
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
            Still, this is a great resource! Perhaps it will motivate PRI and others to consider podcasting shows after their airing.

            - Steve

            > > A nice implementation, I think. NPR programs aren't podcasting in
            > > full, since that would piss off local stations to no end.
            >
            > That must also be why Marketplace still isn't on the list.
            > (Naturally, the show I'm most interested in...)

            The patchwork of program sources also comes into play. Much of what
            listeners consider "NPR" is actually a locally blended combination of
            programming from NPR-proper, PRI, American Public Media, individual
            public radio stations, etc. As such, NPR doesn't actually have
            permissions or ownership over much of what gets considered "NPR".

            --
            J Wynia
            The Glass is Too Big
            http://www.wynia.org
            j@...

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • thesoundofyoungamerica
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, J Wynia <j@w...> wrote:
              > Stephen Eley wrote:
              > > That must also be why Marketplace still isn't on the list.
              > > (Naturally, the show I'm most interested in...)
              >
              > The patchwork of program sources also comes into play. Much of what
              > listeners consider "NPR" is actually a locally blended combination of
              > programming from NPR-proper, PRI, American Public Media, individual
              > public radio stations, etc. As such, NPR doesn't actually have
              > permissions or ownership over much of what gets considered "NPR".

              Yeah, Marketplace is distributed by American Public Media, which has
              been the most aggressive about challenging NPR.

              This confusion became a big issue when NPR got the huge bequest from
              Jean Kroc, the McDonald's heiress. Apparently, her favorite "NPR" show
              was PRI's "This American Life."

              That said, I really wonder what the criteria are for getting into this
              list. Are there any programs from independent stations like New York's
              WFMU on there? I didn't see any. There were some non-NPR shows from
              NPR member stations (like KCRW's shows, for example).

              Jesse
            • J Wynia
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
                Oh, absolutely. A great deal of what I listen to via podcast
                subscription is NPR, ripped public radio (recorded streams), Australian
                Public Radio, BBC, etc. Many of the shows I enjoy on FM public radio
                aren't available and any push in this direction is a good one. I'll
                definitely be filling my subscription list from this resource.

                I also think that there are several groups that have produced stuff for
                any one of the above that are now looking at podcasting directly as a
                viable option as well. I'll be surprised if we don't get a
                pseudo-Internet Public Radio that aggregates that kind of content into a
                single brand for the purposes of fundraising, i.e. adding the
                pledgedrive kind of content to the programming and handling those
                contributions, distributing to the producers.

                Of course, I tend to take a bit of a different take on podcasting from
                many others. I definitely seperate the genres of content from the
                distribution channel. To me, much of the podcasting discussion and
                chatter concerns the content and formats of the content. Much of that is
                about whether they'll replace blogs, how they relate to blogs, etc.
                However, that's very focused on who the initial adopters of this
                distribution channel are and how they're using it (a lot of 3 guys and a
                mic talking about news, audio blogging, here's some music I like, etc.).

                The distribution channel itself (subscribed, asynchronous media) is
                actually bigger than just podcasting as it exists today. Parallels to
                radio and TV are obvious: early TV content was little more than talking
                heads. Radio was similar, with people just playing records/wax cylinders
                over the air. Over time, those evolved into a much more sophisticated
                types of content. However, the distribution method: free delivery of
                audio and video to home receivers changed very little. Stereo was added
                to radio, color to TV, etc., but it still changed greatly. However,
                those aren't the only parallels because much of the business model that
                grew up around those (and around movie distribution as well) centered
                around the problem of the cost of duplication and limited availability.
                There can only be so many channels in the frequency band (or cable
                capacity or sattelite capacity) and the scarcity of those resources has
                routed the content through corporations who control those limited
                resources. As a result, advertising, inserted into the content, which
                was only available to the users via the restricted bandwidth became a
                viable model for giving the content away (over the air TV), while still
                paying the producers of content (much of which was produced by 3rd
                parties and syndicated to the TV stations).
                The Internet changes that pretty dramatically. Effectively unlimited
                bandwidth and near zero cost of distribution mean that the previously
                viable model of a middleman making sure that the content both gets
                distributed and the producer gets paid falls down. I think we're
                starting to see the beginnings of people trying to figure out how to
                "monetize" this stuff (even if only to the degree of ensuring that the
                actual costs of production are covered and no profit sought). TV on DVD,
                cable's On Demand programming, etc. are dealing with it in the TV arena,
                but there will be much shaking out of this stuff over the next couple of
                years.

                And, lest anyone think that it's going too fast to take several years,
                just consider how the fast paced Internet space itself has changed. Only
                now, 10 years after I first got online have we seen maturity (meaning
                that it's used for the full spectrum of messages to be delivered:
                including commercial, personal, etc.) and some stability. Early Internet
                content was pretty homogenous and I think the current homogeneity in
                podcasting will also diversify and I really look forward to it.

                --
                J Wynia
                The Glass is Too Big
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
                  Shows currently podcasting from Public Radio International:

                  Echoes -- Soundscapes and Artist Interviews (PRI)
                  Studio 360 (PRI/WYNC)
                  Brain Brew (PRI)
                  Michael Feldman's Whad'ya Know? (PRI/WPR)
                  PRI�s The World - Geo Quiz (BBC, PRI, WGBH)
                  To The Point (PRI/KCRW)
                  American Routes (PRI)
                  PRI Best of Our Knowledge (PRI/WPR)
                  Open Source (PRI)
                  And all the BBC�

                  Pat Carney
                  The Carney Group
                  837 Glenwood Avenue
                  Minneapolis, MN 55405
                  (612) 746-5889

                  Writers �[make] a living out of ambivalence. Where would the art of
                  fiction be if there were no double meanings? What would life itself be
                  if there were only heads or tails and nothing in between?�
                  J.M. Cotzee

                  On Sep 1, 2005, at 11:53 AM, thesoundofyoungamerica wrote:

                  > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, J Wynia <j@w...> wrote:
                  >> Stephen Eley wrote:
                  >>> That must also be why Marketplace still isn't on the list.
                  >>> (Naturally, the show I'm most interested in...)
                  >>
                  >> The patchwork of program sources also comes into play. Much of what
                  >> listeners consider "NPR" is actually a locally blended combination of
                  >> programming from NPR-proper, PRI, American Public Media, individual
                  >> public radio stations, etc. As such, NPR doesn't actually have
                  >> permissions or ownership over much of what gets considered "NPR".
                  >
                  > Yeah, Marketplace is distributed by American Public Media, which has
                  > been the most aggressive about challenging NPR.
                  >
                  > This confusion became a big issue when NPR got the huge bequest from
                  > Jean Kroc, the McDonald's heiress. Apparently, her favorite "NPR" show
                  > was PRI's "This American Life."
                  >
                  > That said, I really wonder what the criteria are for getting into this
                  > list. Are there any programs from independent stations like New York's
                  > WFMU on there? I didn't see any. There were some non-NPR shows from
                  > NPR member stations (like KCRW's shows, for example).
                  >
                  > Jesse

                • Bill Zegarski
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
                    that, and the whole NPR/Audible unholy alliance...

                    > A nice implementation, I think. NPR programs aren't podcasting in
                    > full, since that would piss off local stations to no end.

                    That must also be why Marketplace still isn't on the list.
                    (Naturally, the show I'm most interested in...)

                    ESCAPE POD - the SF podcast magazine
                    http://escape.extraneous.org

                    Visit your group "podcasters" on the web.