Re: [podcasters] Re: Mobile Podcasting using the Edirol R1 portable recorder

  • Ron Jeffries
    Message 1 of 52 , Aug 31, 2005
      On Wednesday, August 31, 2005, at 2:17:34 PM, Jake Ludington wrote:

      >> We started this exercise because people think my y-cable may cause
      >> problems. To fix those problems, it takes the following, or its
      >> equivalent:
      >>
      >> Two mic 1/8 to 1/4 adapters, to plug the mics into;
      >> Two 1/4 to XLR adapters, to plug the mic adapters into;
      >> Two RCA or 1/4 to 1/8 adapters to pick up the output;
      >> ... and the //original 1/8 mono to stereo y cable(!)//
      >> to bring it into the iRiver.
      >>
      >> Unless I'm missing something obvious, of course, which often
      >> happens.

      > There's a major difference in outputting a mixed signal and the individual
      > raw inputs from two microphones. By coming out of the mixer, you have
      > control over the two sides of the conversation being approximately the same
      > volume. Going straight into the iRiver, you have no control over one party
      > being significantly louder (or softer) than the other.

      Yes, there is. I can tell that already. I can make myself sound like
      Garrison Keillor, and Chet sound like Minnie Mouse. And, at least
      using my ears, since there are no meters on the iRiver, I can get us
      to equal loudness. I can do that in post, however.

      What is interesting is the amazing lashup of wires it takes to do
      that, including the y-cable that folks originally objected to. ;->

      Ron Jeffries
      www.XProgramming.com
      Inigo Montoya: You are wonderful!
      Man in Black: Thank you. I have worked hard to become so.
    • Ron Jeffries
      Message 52 of 52 , Sep 1, 2005
        On Thursday, September 1, 2005, at 1:53:58 AM, Chris Cochran wrote:

        > Tascam has a couple of portable recorders Pocket Studio they are called.
        > They will do all that you want them to and to it in MP3 format. They
        > discontinued a couple that are really nice and can be had for less than $300
        > on line. The one I use even has a built in mixer, limiter, etc. It will
        > take line level, if you use a DI box or transducers. It sounds like what
        > you are looking for.

        I did check them out and they look cool. It appears that TASCAM has
        abandoned that market. Not that it matters, if the recorders work
        well, I guess it doesn't matter but I do wonder ...

        Ron Jeffries
        www.XProgramming.com
        The model that really matters is the one that people have in
        their minds. All other models and documentation exist only to
        get the right model into the right mind at the right time.
        -- Paul Oldfield