RE: [podcasters] Podcasting to your cell phone's voicemail bo

  • Jake Ludington
    Message 1 of 39 , Aug 31, 2005
      > Is it valuable to be notified when a new episode of
      > your favorite podcast is available?

      Yes, which is why I subscribe to my favorite podcasts - I'm notified
      automatically.

      > Is it valuable to be able to hear it on your phone?

      Depends. I use my Smartphone to listen to podcasts because I have one less
      thing in my pocket. However, the process for subscribing/listening is just
      like the process would be for anyone with an iPod.

      > Would podcasters like to sell secure access to their
      > podcasts?

      Maybe, but where's the market for charging people for something they already
      get just as easily and for free.

      > I think so. I also think that the carriers are eager
      > to provide more services. Soon I think that the
      > carriers will pay for great podcast programming and
      > provide it to their customers at a very low cost.

      Since the carriers get minute money in this scenario, it makes more sense
      for the carriers to pay a small licensing fee to podcasters and give the
      podcasts away as part of a service offering.

      > I think we can help to get this started by allowing
      > the early adopters to tinker with the model before the
      > big fish do it.

      The early adopters all have Smartphones/Blackberrys/Treos and don't need it.
      This is old thinking. The market is moving away from a model where the
      service providers have all the control. The market is moving toward
      convergent devices with phone service and hard drives.

      > I think that we can all do well here. Hopefully we can
      > shift a little money from the big fish to the little
      > fish in the process.

      Technically it's moving money from the little fish to the little fish,
      unless you think all cell phone customers have deep pockets.

      Jake Ludington

      http://www.mediablab.com
      http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com
    • Jimmy
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 1, 2005
        > I am a Verizon customer and let me tell you that they (one of the
        largest in
        > the country) are doing just the opposite. EVERY new phone they
        offer has
        > abilities that they disable. They have a model where you have to
        hack your
        > phone to add a ring tone that you make yourself!

        Yeah, this is pretty insane. I have the motorola v710 which I got
        about a year ago. I can copy anything onto a little card and then slip
        that into the phone and put it wherever I wat in the phone. I can use
        ringtones and whatever. My friend just got the updated version
        recently and I tried to give her some of my ringtones (since when you
        replace a phone you lose all your old ringtones) but the copy feature
        was not available. That's gotta be criminal, not letting you use a
        feature already in the machine, to keep you from using your own stuff?