Re: [podcasters] Re: Mobile Podcasting using the Edirol R1 portable recorder

  • Ron Jeffries
    Message 1 of 52 , Aug 31 11:10 AM
      On Wednesday, August 31, 2005, at 1:54:49 PM, Matt May wrote:

      > On Aug 31, 2005, at 10:44 AM, Ron Jeffries wrote:
      >>> BUT WAIT! The 802 has two 1/4 Main Out plugs, L and R. To get that
      >>> into the iRiver ... I'll need my Y cable, plus oh lord save me, a
      >>> couple of 1/8 to 1/4 adapters. Arrgh ...

      > The UB802 also has an RCA "Tape Out" line-level output. That's what I
      > run into my recorder. I don't even mess with the main. Or maybe I
      > missed a portion of this thread...

      Yes. It has two of those R/L, also. The iRiver, which I use to
      record, has a single stereo 1/8 inch input plug.

      We started this exercise because people think my y-cable may cause
      problems. To fix those problems, it takes the following, or its
      equivalent:

      Two mic 1/8 to 1/4 adapters, to plug the mics into;
      Two 1/4 to XLR adapters, to plug the mic adapters into;
      Two RCA or 1/4 to 1/8 adapters to pick up the output;
      ... and the //original 1/8 mono to stereo y cable(!)//
      to bring it into the iRiver.

      Unless I'm missing something obvious, of course, which often
      happens.

      Ron Jeffries
      www.XProgramming.com
      Will Turner: This is either madness or brilliance.
      Captain Jack Sparrow: It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide.
    • Ron Jeffries
      Message 52 of 52 , Sep 1, 2005
        On Thursday, September 1, 2005, at 1:53:58 AM, Chris Cochran wrote:

        > Tascam has a couple of portable recorders Pocket Studio they are called.
        > They will do all that you want them to and to it in MP3 format. They
        > discontinued a couple that are really nice and can be had for less than $300
        > on line. The one I use even has a built in mixer, limiter, etc. It will
        > take line level, if you use a DI box or transducers. It sounds like what
        > you are looking for.

        I did check them out and they look cool. It appears that TASCAM has
        abandoned that market. Not that it matters, if the recorders work
        well, I guess it doesn't matter but I do wonder ...

        Ron Jeffries
        www.XProgramming.com
        The model that really matters is the one that people have in
        their minds. All other models and documentation exist only to
        get the right model into the right mind at the right time.
        -- Paul Oldfield