Playing copyright music

  • amitcv
    Message 1 of 34 , Aug 28 3:28 PM
      Hi,
      I have a podcast on Indian Music in which I review latest releases and
      also play samples of such songs. In talking with (Indian) music labels
      that hold the rights to these songs, we (the labels and I) are trying
      to figure out a way to keep the podcasts legit (or simply put - keep
      the lawyers happy).
      At the very least we could go with the current state of playing only
      samples of songs, but I'd like to know if any of you have found a
      better way to make podcasts copyright safe and still be able to play
      for more than the generally allowed 30 seconds.
      Thanks
      Amit
      http://indianmusic.libsyn.com
    • paul
      Message 34 of 34 , Aug 31 8:33 PM
        --- James Cridland <james@...> wrote:
        > No, that's true. If you want to produce a podcast
        > but don't care whether
        > anyone listens to it, that's fine by me. I do know a
        > lot about what makes
        > things popular, though, and that's what I strive
        > for.

        There is a difference between popular and successful.
        The old and tired radio and record label model is
        fading away. It is hazardous to the artists, and
        extremely dishonest. Just plain bad business. It's
        time to replace them with something that benefits all
        parties involved. Radio is constantly losing
        listeners. They know this. And right now they can
        afford it. But what about 5 years from now?

        > Well, I agree. I think we're minnows in comparison
        > to the record companies.

        Depends on your point of view;) I play music that
        isn't heard on the radio. Seems more like I have
        exclusive content. They are all playing the same
        rehashed drivel with 5 commercials between each song.
        Almost as bad as mtv. Let's see them match that! Now
        who has the power! And don't confuse money with power,
        or intelligence;)

        > I work for one of the biggest broadcasters in the UK
        > - and we're podcasting.
        > I'd like to think I've slightly more power in terms
        > of making record
        > companies understand what they're talking about in
        > terms of podcasting - so
        > I can actually help all of us here - if, at least,
        > we all live in the real
        > world. But I'm still a tiny minnow.

        Thinking the record companies will agree to any needs
        of the podcasters is a dream world.

        > Record companies simply won't take podcasting
        > seriously if they perceive
        > that the same old tired internet-radio arguments are
        > being re-run again. "We
        > promote artists" simply isn't a sensible argument to
        > take. "We only play
        > artists who let us play their stuff free"
        > essentially means, to them, "We
        > don't play any artists that anyone's ever heard of,
        > and therefore we'll
        > never make any money, and therefore won't make any
        > record company any
        > money". It didn't wash for internet radio; it
        > certainly won't wash for a
        > downloadable medium.

        True. The problem with internet radio is that it
        doesn't know how to market itself. If you say radio,
        people are going to think Brittany Spears and Ja Rule.
        Podcasting is a different story. We have to tell the
        world we are not radio. We are something better. We
        need a new model that will rejuvinate music. And when
        that happens, then a financial model can be made.

        > Your point made entirely. I've never heard of any of
        > these artists.
        > Seriously. Genuinely, who are they? (And if I'm
        > asking that, what might your
        > potential audience be asking?)

        How many music podcasts do you listen to? I have
        played at least two of those artists on my show, and
        have yet to get to the others because there are so
        many to play. The Podsafe Music Network has many
        artists to offer. Some are good, some not so good, and
        some reeeally good;) Kinda like radio. Some music is
        good, some sucks. The difference is I play 10 songs in
        an hour, radio plays 5. And they brag about it?

        > Now, if you want to continue arguing your point of
        > view, that's a fine thing
        > by me: but the rest of us in the real world want to
        > get something sorted
        > with record companies. The last thing we need is a
        > re-run of arguments that
        > simply have no foundation in real life.

        Who wants to deal with the record companies? If I want
        repetitive content, unrealistic demands, and fees that
        any intelligent person will see are too high, than
        I'll deal with the majors. If I want good music and
        want to promote artists who do it for the love of
        their craft, I'll be a podcaster. If I find a
        financial model for it in the future, more power to
        me. But podcasting is still too new to accomplish this
        overnight.

        > As you say - peace. But let's make sure this is
        > proper peace, not an uneasy
        > truce.

        Live long and prosper;)

        Paul Puri