Podcasting for Dummies update

  • Evo Terra
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 25, 2005
      Since Tee brought it up *again* and Ron asked for the update, I figured
      I'd make a new post for this.

      On Monday of this week, Tee and I turned in 100% of the content for
      Podcasting for Dummies. It's currently in the tech review stage and
      should come back to us in a few weeks for revisions, of which I'm sure
      their will be legions.

      After that, there is a very aggressive revision schedule so we can go to
      press on time and have the book hit stores in early November. (So
      there's one more thing my nemesis Dan Klass will have on me.)

      Tee and I are both really happy at how the book has turned out and are
      quite pleased with the bi-coastal writing collaboration experiment.
      However, I would caution all of you that have been posting here as long
      as I have (or longer) to take a hard look at the title of our book. It's
      certainly not our intention to market this book as the answer to
      advanced podcasting questions. Instead, this book is aimed squarely at
      the brand new podcaster or wanna-be-podcaster who really has no idea
      where to turn.

      We get a lot of newbies on the list asking lots of the same questions
      over and over again. That's our target audience. The folks at Dummies
      have been super to work with, yet have made us stick to their
      guidelines. While it may not answer every question possible, I think it
      will allow folks to get up and podcasting quickly and easily.

      OK, enough shameless promotion. We now return you to your regularly
      scheduled discussions of the finer points of iRivers and XML namespaces
      ad nauseum.

      E..

      --
      Evo Terra

      DragonPage.com | SliceofSciFi.com | Podiobooks.com
    • paul
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 25, 2005
        --- Evo Terra <evo@...> wrote:
        > After that, there is a very aggressive revision
        > schedule so we can go to
        > press on time and have the book hit stores in early
        > November. (So
        > there's one more thing my nemesis Dan Klass will
        > have on me.)

        Can't wait to see the book. Congrats.

        I was wondering though. How does one acquire a
        nemesis. I think the one thing missing in my life is a
        nemesis. Is there a nemesis temp agency or something?
        If anyone would like to be my nemesis, or just an evil
        twin, let me know.

        ;)

        Paul Puri
        Unsigned Podcast Network

        Skype:unsignedpodcast
        The site: http://www.unsignedpodcast.com/
        The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
        The feed: http://www.unsignedpodcast.com/podcast.php
        The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast

        Promotion without shame.
        Podcasting Announcements
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 25, 2005
          On 8/25/05, paul <prp6040@...> wrote:

          > I was wondering though. How does one acquire a
          > nemesis. I think the one thing missing in my life is a
          > nemesis. Is there a nemesis temp agency or something?
          > If anyone would like to be my nemesis, or just an evil
          > twin, let me know.

          DR. ORPHEUS: You are one lucky duck! Oh, it must be dreamy to have a
          costumed nemesis, chasing you, wringing his gloved hands in concern of
          your every move.
          DR. VENTURE: You're kidding, right?
          DR. ORPHEUS: It just seems so romantic.
          DR. VENTURE: Oh sure, it looks all glamorous from the outside, but
          really it's a huge pain in the ass. They send robots into your lab,
          break everything, and does my insurance policy cover arch enemies? No!
          DR. ORPHEUS: I'm jealous. There, I said it.
          DR. VENTURE: If you want one so bad, take one of mine.

          -- _The Venture Brothers_ (Cartoon Network)

          ESCAPE POD - the SF podcast magazine
          http://escape.extraneous.org
        • paul
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 25, 2005
            --- Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
            > DR. ORPHEUS: You are one lucky duck! Oh, it must
            > be dreamy to have a
            > costumed nemesis, chasing you, wringing his gloved
            > hands in concern of
            > your every move.
            > DR. VENTURE: You're kidding, right?
            > DR. ORPHEUS: It just seems so romantic.
            > DR. VENTURE: Oh sure, it looks all glamorous from
            > the outside, but
            > really it's a huge pain in the ass. They send
            > robots into your lab,
            > break everything, and does my insurance policy cover
            > arch enemies? No!
            > DR. ORPHEUS: I'm jealous. There, I said it.
            > DR. VENTURE: If you want one so bad, take one of
            > mine.

            See! I want that! I want robots to come after me. I
            want to dodge laser beams. Somebody be my nemesis and
            send robots. Chrome ones.

            Paul Puri
            Unsigned Podcast Network

            Skype:unsignedpodcast
            The site: http://www.unsignedpodcast.com/
            The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
            The feed: http://www.unsignedpodcast.com/podcast.php
            The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast

            Promotion without shame.
            Podcasting Announcements
          • Ron Jeffries
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 25, 2005
              On Thursday, August 25, 2005, at 9:26:38 PM, paul wrote:

              > See! I want that! I want robots to come after me. I
              > want to dodge laser beams. Somebody be my nemesis and
              > send robots. Chrome ones.

              Sorry. Nemesis robots are black. The good guys have chrome ones.

              Ron Jeffries
              www.XProgramming.com
              Only the hand that erases can write the true thing. -- Meister Eckhart
            • paul
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 25, 2005
                --- Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
                > Sorry. Nemesis robots are black. The good guys have
                > chrome ones.

                Crap! Ok, I'll take the black ones. But do they still
                have laser beams?

                And my pink robots, do I have to paint them chrome
                now?

                Paul Puri
                Unsigned Podcast Network

                Skype:unsignedpodcast
                The site: http://www.unsignedpodcast.com/
                The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
                The feed: http://www.unsignedpodcast.com/podcast.php
                The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast

                Promotion without shame.
                Podcasting Announcements
              • Reed Porter
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 25, 2005
                  The old model cylons are shiny.
                  Good lord, I don't post for 2 weeks, and I come up with "Cylons are shiny?"
                  Oh well.

                  > On Thursday, August 25, 2005, at 9:26:38 PM, paul wrote:
                  >
                  > > See! I want that! I want robots to come after me. I
                  > > want to dodge laser beams. Somebody be my nemesis and
                  > > send robots. Chrome ones.
                  >
                  > Sorry. Nemesis robots are black. The good guys have chrome ones.
                  >
                  > Ron Jeffries
                  > www.XProgramming.com <http://www.XProgramming.com>
                  > Only the hand that erases can write the true thing. -- Meister Eckhart

                  Reed Porter
                  http://www.kccoffeehouse.com/blog

                • Ron Jeffries
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 25, 2005
                    On Thursday, August 25, 2005, at 9:35:36 PM, paul wrote:

                    >> Sorry. Nemesis robots are black. The good guys have
                    >> chrome ones.

                    > Crap! Ok, I'll take the black ones. But do they still
                    > have laser beams?

                    > And my pink robots, do I have to paint them chrome
                    > now?

                    I'd say, get rid of the pink, or change your name to Paula ...

                    Ron Jeffries
                    www.XProgramming.com
                    I have tried in my way to be free. -- Leonard Cohen
                  • paul
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 25, 2005
                      --- Reed Porter <reedracer@...> wrote:
                      > The old model cylons are shiny.
                      > Good lord, I don't post for 2 weeks, and I come up
                      > with "Cylons are shiny?"
                      > Oh well.

                      Hey, at least your not lamenting over not having a
                      nemesis. How pathethic is that?

                      Paul Puri
                      Unsigned Podcast Network

                      Skype:unsignedpodcast
                      The site: http://www.unsignedpodcast.com/
                      The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
                      The feed: http://www.unsignedpodcast.com/podcast.php
                      The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast

                      Promotion without shame.
                      Podcasting Announcements
                    • Tee Morris
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 25, 2005
                        On Aug 25, 2005, at 9:26 PM, paul wrote:

                        > See! I want that! I want robots to come after me. I
                        > want to dodge laser beams. Somebody be my nemesis and
                        > send robots. Chrome ones.

                        You see, that was one of many reasons I loved SKY CAPTAIN AND THE
                        WORLD OF TOMORROW! Giant fifty foot robots tearing up a city with
                        destruct-o-rays that sounded like the heat beams in George Pal's WAR
                        OF THE WORLDS!

                        That's what we need in our movies...and in our podcasts...more fifty
                        foot robots!

                        Enjoy the Ride,

                        Tee Morris
                        ----------------------------

                        MOREVI: The Chronicles of Rafe & Askana
                        An epic fantasy from Tee Morris & Lisa Lee

                        Sign up for this podcast feed at http://www.dragonpage.com/morevi.xml
                        Previous chapters available at http://www.teemorris.com/podcast

                      • Tee Morris
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 25, 2005
                          On Aug 25, 2005, at 9:41 PM, Reed Porter wrote:

                          > The old model cylons are shiny.
                          > Good lord, I don't post for 2 weeks, and I come up with "Cylons are
                          > shiny?"
                          > Oh well.

                          i hear they are going at a discount. The NEW Cylons, however, are
                          hard to come by. My "Boomer" Model Cylon is on back order...

                          Professional Geek,

                          Tee Morris
                          ----------------------------

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 25, 2005
                            --- Tee Morris <tee@...> wrote:
                            > You see, that was one of many reasons I loved SKY
                            > CAPTAIN AND THE
                            > WORLD OF TOMORROW! Giant fifty foot robots tearing
                            > up a city with
                            > destruct-o-rays that sounded like the heat beams in
                            > George Pal's WAR
                            > OF THE WORLDS!
                            >
                            > That's what we need in our movies...and in our
                            > podcasts...more fifty
                            > foot robots!

                            i think that movie was extremely underrated. I loved
                            it!

                            But it is a shame that there will be podcasters that
                            claim to have 50 foot robots, and they are only 10 or
                            15. How can we stop a scandal like this?

                            Paul Puri
                            Unsigned Podcast Network

                            Skype:unsignedpodcast
                            The site: http://www.unsignedpodcast.com/
                            The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
                            The feed: http://www.unsignedpodcast.com/podcast.php
                            The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast

                            Promotion without shame.
                            Podcasting Announcements
                          • tim callender
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 26, 2005
                              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Tee Morris <tee@m...> wrote:

                              > i hear they are going at a discount. The NEW Cylons, however, are
                              > hard to come by. My "Boomer" Model Cylon is on back order...
                              >

                              > Professional Geek,
                              >
                              > Tee Morris

                              Really? Mine too! I heard that a recent batch was destroyed during shipping. Pesky
                              Colonials.

                              tim
                            • tim callender
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 26, 2005
                                Steve - that was EXACTLY what I was thinking... well, actually, I was thinking of the scene
                                where Dr. Orpheus tries to hack off the Monarch, and the Monarch isn't having any, and
                                calls Dr. Orpheus - well, he uses a rude name.

                                tim

                                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Eley <SFEley@g...> wrote:
                                > On 8/25/05, paul <prp6040@y...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I was wondering though. How does one acquire a
                                > > nemesis. I think the one thing missing in my life is a
                                > > nemesis. Is there a nemesis temp agency or something?
                                > > If anyone would like to be my nemesis, or just an evil
                                > > twin, let me know.
                                >
                                > DR. ORPHEUS: You are one lucky duck! Oh, it must be dreamy to have a
                                > costumed nemesis, chasing you, wringing his gloved hands in concern of
                                > your every move.
                                > DR. VENTURE: You're kidding, right?
                                > DR. ORPHEUS: It just seems so romantic.
                                > DR. VENTURE: Oh sure, it looks all glamorous from the outside, but
                                > really it's a huge pain in the ass. They send robots into your lab,
                                > break everything, and does my insurance policy cover arch enemies? No!
                                > DR. ORPHEUS: I'm jealous. There, I said it.
                                > DR. VENTURE: If you want one so bad, take one of mine.
                                >
                                > -- _The Venture Brothers_ (Cartoon Network)
                                >
                                > --
                                > Have Fun,
                                > Steve Eley (sfeley@g...)
                                > ESCAPE POD - the SF podcast magazine
                                > http://escape.extraneous.org
                              • Dragon Page
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 28, 2005
                                  It may be time to employ a robot registry for podcasting. All
                                  robots appearing on air must be cataloged and measured.
                                  That's the only way we can be sure that they are truly meeting the
                                  height requirements.

                                  Don't want no poser robots on our podcasts dag-nabbitt!

                                  *sigh* I have not posted on this board in months and the only thing
                                  that brings me back is 50 foot robots. I am such a geek! ;-)

                                  Michael R. Mennenga
                                  Producer/Host
                                  The Dragon Page & Slice of Scifi
                                  ~Sci-fi Talk For A New Generation!~
                                  www.DragonPage.com
                                  www.sliceofscifi.com

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 28, 2005
                                    --- Dragon Page <Dragon@...> wrote:
                                    > *sigh* I have not posted on this board in months
                                    > and the only thing
                                    > that brings me back is 50 foot robots. I am such a
                                    > geek! ;-)

                                    Well, welcome back fellow geek. I will now submit my
                                    robots for measurement. And I have painted standard
                                    chrome over the original pink to conform with
                                    standards.

                                    Paul Puri
                                    Unsigned Podcast Network

                                    Skype:unsignedpodcast
                                    The site: http://www.unsignedpodcast.com/
                                    The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
                                    The feed: http://www.unsignedpodcast.com/podcast.php
                                    The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast

                                    Promotion without shame.
                                    Podcasting Announcements
                                  • Harold Johnson
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 28, 2005
                                      On 8/25/05, Tee Morris <tee@...> wrote:

                                      > On Aug 25, 2005, at 9:26 PM, paul wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > See! I want that! I want robots to come after me. I
                                      > > want to dodge laser beams. Somebody be my nemesis and
                                      > > send robots. Chrome ones.
                                      >
                                      > You see, that was one of many reasons I loved SKY CAPTAIN AND THE
                                      > WORLD OF TOMORROW! Giant fifty foot robots tearing up a city with
                                      > destruct-o-rays that sounded like the heat beams in George Pal's WAR
                                      > OF THE WORLDS!
                                      >
                                      > That's what we need in our movies...and in our podcasts...more fifty
                                      > foot robots!

                                      I'd have to agree. Preferably rocket-powered flying robots, too, which you
                                      can communicate with via wrist devices. "Giant robot, activate"!

                                      Harold J. Johnson
                                      Tempo of the Down
                                      Podcasting downtempo to Earth
                                      http://voyagerradio.com