New subscriber introduction.

  • v_callaway
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2005
      I just joined up to this group and finished reading the last couple of
      months notes.

      My plan is to start generating my own shows by the first of Feb. Some
      friends are helping me out to setup a small studio. Once that is done
      I will be able to get started.

      My format is local political talk radio. The area I live in is
      currently in turmoil over a botched election and a power struggle
      between regions. Should prove to be very exciting.

      I would like to make a couple of comments on RSS and BitTorrents.

      The first is that they are not exclusive of each other. You can
      provide and RSS feed that provides a link for both a direct download
      of an MP3 and a torrent file.

      The torrent file is nothing more that a link to a tracker. The
      tracker provides information on where all the people are who have
      pieces of the file. The advantage of this system is in the
      distribution of bandwidth.

      The advantage for someone like me is quicker downloads. I have two
      DSL lines muxed and can download faster than most t-1 connected
      servers can send. I in turn send those same files back out. This
      reduces the bandwith load on the site providing the podcast.

      The advantage for the podcaster is the ability to provide those files
      without incuring high ISP bandwidth charges. You could in fact
      provide your files on a home DSL line. With several people providing
      a pool to pull data from the file gets distibuted much more effeciently.

      If you are concerned about having to setup a tracker don't be. There
      are thousands of them on the net that are public. You can use any of
      them to track your torrent. You are in fact doing them a favor by
      both providing them with content and adding to the legitimacy of torrents.

      </rant>
      back to your regularly scheduled program :>