Podcast Audio Series

  • paul
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 23, 2005
      The next chapter in the Podcast Audio Series is now
      ready at http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/. This
      article focuses on the basic equipment needed for the
      aspiring podcaster. Great info for beginners, and
      maybe something new for the seasoned podcaster.

      The next few articles will focus more on advanced
      information that is good for all podcasters, so stay
      tuned.

      Thanks,

      Paul Puri
      Unsigned Podcast Network

      Skype:unsignedpodcast
      The site: http://www.unsignedpodcast.com/
      The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
      The feed: http://www.unsignedpodcast.com/podcast.php
      The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast

      Promotion without shame.
      Podcasting Announcements
    • Unsigned Podcast/Paul
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2005
        It has been awhile, but I have posted more educational
        info on my blog at
        http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/.

        Three articles have been put up today:

        1.Predicting Speech to Background Noise Ratio

        2.The myth of microphone reach

        3.Impedence matching for microphones:Is it necessary?

        They are a little more technical than the others, so
        for some of you with little audio experience, some of
        it may go over your head.

        Good times,

        Paul Puri
        Unsigned Podcast Network

        Skype:unsignedpodcast
        The site: http://www.unsignedpodcastnetwork.com/
        The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
        The feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/unsignedpodcast/dmMp
        The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast

        Promotion without shame.
        Podcasting Announcements
      • GLSmyth
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
          Paul -

          Thanks for the link, I don't think that they are too technical for
          people (I also appreciate the other articles available).

          I am just wondering how best to measure the noise level. My recorder
          has indicator lights, but I don't really think that they are much more
          than just that - indicators.

          One of the solutions not mentioned would be (if possible) to move away
          from the noise. In my current show I interview a group - to get away
          from the noise we had to walk a block up the road and duck down an
          alley, and there was still competition from the noise (I started the
          recording as we were walking down the road - this was not included on
          the show - and when we entered the alley the noise level visually
          changed as seen by Audacity). So in a more normal context, if the
          microphone can be moved from the noise source (say, a noisy computer
          fan) then that will help.

          Cheers -

          george

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Unsigned Podcast/Paul
          <prp6040@y...> wrote:
          > It has been awhile, but I have posted more educational
          > info on my blog at
          > http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/.
          >
          > Three articles have been put up today:
          >
          > 1.Predicting Speech to Background Noise Ratio
          >
          > 2.The myth of microphone reach
          >
          > 3.Impedence matching for microphones:Is it necessary?
          >
          > They are a little more technical than the others, so
          > for some of you with little audio experience, some of
          > it may go over your head.
          >
          > Good times,
          >

          > Paul Puri
          > Unsigned Podcast Network
          >
          > Skype:unsignedpodcast
          > The site: http://www.unsignedpodcastnetwork.com/
          > The blog: http://unsignedpodcast.blogspot.com/
          > The feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/unsignedpodcast/dmMp
          > The store: http://www.cafepress.com/unsignedpodcast
          >
          > Promotion without shame.
          > Podcasting Announcements
        • Unsigned Podcast/Paul
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
            --- GLSmyth <George.Smyth@...> wrote:
            > Thanks for the link, I don't think that they are too
            > technical for
            > people (I also appreciate the other articles
            > available).
            > I am just wondering how best to measure the noise
            > level. My recorder
            > has indicator lights, but I don't really think that
            > they are much more
            > than just that - indicators.
            > One of the solutions not mentioned would be (if
            > possible) to move away
            > from the noise. In my current show I interview a
            > group - to get away
            > from the noise we had to walk a block up the road
            > and duck down an
            > alley, and there was still competition from the
            > noise (I started the
            > recording as we were walking down the road - this
            > was not included on
            > the show - and when we entered the alley the noise
            > level visually
            > changed as seen by Audacity). So in a more normal
            > context, if the
            > microphone can be moved from the noise source (say,
            > a noisy computer
            > fan) then that will help.

            Good point. Avoiding noise is always a better course
            of action, but sometimes it is not always possible.
            Which is why I posted that article. Many podcasters do
            "on location" recordings, and they cannot control
            certain surrounding factors.

            A good way of measuring the competing noise is to use
            a simple sound level meter.

            http://tinyurl.com/c3q32

            You then apply what was instructed in the article.