41382Re: [podcasters] Re: new podcaster, could use a little help

  • Todd Cochrane
    Aug 8, 2013
      We have been cautioning folks on using Feedburner for a while now.
      Google has done nothing with the platform, and it is our #1 ongoing
      support issue with folks that made the misatake of using it. Here are
      two articles on the subject..

      http://create.blubrry.com/manual/syndicating-your-podcast-rss-feeds/feedburner-for-podcasting/
      http://create.blubrry.com/manual/syndicating-your-podcast-rss-feeds/leaving-feedburner/

      On a second note: Why would anyone risk putting their media on
      Soundcloud when Soundcloud can do whatever they want with the media.
      They may not drop ads on the content today but as companies mature they
      need to make money.. We have seen this repeated many times use at your
      own risk..

      Todd

      On 8/8/2013 2:28 AM, chrismottes@... wrote:

      > Hey Shawn & unnamed person behind "infamydebaucheryfailure.tumblr.com",
      >
      > Full disclosure - I'm the CEO of Hindenburg, but honestly, this is not
      > an unrelated opportunistic plug...I just noticed your help request on
      > the forum and thought I might have a solution.
      >
      > Hindenburg Journalist
      > (http://hindenburgsystems.com/products/hindenburg-journalist) includes
      > a 1-click upload function for podcasters, that updates the RSS feed
      > automatically when you upload your podcast to your server. It also
      > includes a 1-click upload to Soundcloud. This means you avoid having
      > to make the extra confusing steps related to RSS feed with Feedburner
      > or Ubercaster. Maybe this would work with Tumblr? You can download a
      > 30-day free trial here: (hindenburgsystems.com/trial)
      >
      > Best of luck with the podcast,
      > Chris
      >
      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>, Shawn Thorpe <shawn@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > In order for a podcast feed to work in a podcatching application
      > (such as gpodder), the feed must contain enclosure tags that point to
      > the media files of each individual podcast episode. Tumblr doesn't
      > appear to support enclosure tags automatically, and there's no way (as
      > far as I can tell) for you to manually edit your Tumblr blog's RSS
      > feed. I did some looking around online, and most of the "how to
      > podcast with Tumblr" tutorials suggest that the only way this can be
      > done is to use Feedburner to generate your podcast feed. So, you'd
      > have to link directly to your podcast file hosted at Soundcloud (not
      > just embed it) from within your Tumblr posts and then send your Tumblr
      > RSS thru Feedburner. With Feedburner, you can add all of the necessary
      > podcast stuff to the feed. You'll need to direct all of your listeners
      > to that Feedburner feed if they want to subscribe as a podcast. Keep
      > in mind that there are many pros/cons to using Feedburner, and that my
      > recommendation of it isn't a personal endorsement. But looking at
      > things from a purely technical standpoint, I don't think you have any
      > other choice.
      > >
      > > -Shawn
      > > http://nomarket.org/
      > >
      > > On Aug 4, 2013, at 4:44 PM, infamydebaucheryfailure wrote:
      > >
      > > > I do a podcast with a couple friends and I'm having trouble
      > figuring out how to make it so that people can subscribe to it.
      > > >
      > > > we have hosting on soundcloud and a tumblr.
      > > > once we upload it to soundcloud we hit the share link and have it
      > link to the tumblr. the problem is I haven't been able to subscribe to
      > it using gpodder off of the tumblrs rss feed.
      > > >
      > > > can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
      > > >
      > > > the tumblr is
      > > > infamydebaucheryfailure.tumblr.com
      > > >
      > > > thanks

      Todd Cochrane