41225Re: A good usb mic for podcasting

  • TCA
    Sep 1, 2012
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "markk" <markkelleher@...> wrote:

      > Yours is a common question, to which many will simply say to not get a USB microphone. I have both USB and XLR mics that I use, and the MXL 009 USB is better IMO than anything you listed. Three of the 4 that you listed are all condenser mics, which sound good, but if you don't have a sound room, they pick up too much outside noise. The Rode is the exception, because it is a dynamic mic, which is much better suited to a home broadcaster.
      > The problem that most people encounter with a USB mic, is that after not to long, many decide to get a mixer and then want XLR mics. This is not necessarily due to better sound, and I'll put the MXL 009 USB against many well known XLR mics, but rather because they wish to expand and need to use more than one mic at a time. Because of this, I would would very highly recommend the Audio Technica ATR 2100 USB/XLR mic. This is available for about $50 from Amazon, sounds great, in my opinion, better than the mics you listed. It is dynamic so it does not pick up every little sound around you, plus if you decide in the future to get a mixer, this mic is also XLR. I did a review of this mic, with sound samples here: http://markinrussia.com.saffron.arvixe.com/?p=1264
      >

      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "TCA" <b.waidux@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello guys, you may get this a lot, but I have to ask anyway.
      > > I want to do some podcasting that is a bit more serious, and I was thinking of getting a USB microphone.
      > > So I came across four microphones that I think are awesome, but I can't decide. I'm not very good with the whole technical part of audio hardware, so I was hoping to get some advice.
      > >
      > > So, the first one is the Blue Yeti. (http://www.bluemic.com/yeti/)
      > >
      > > The second one is the Audio Technica AT2020USB (http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/c75c5918ed57a8d0/)
      > >
      > > The third one is the Editors Keys SL300 (http://www.editorskeys.com/recording-equipment/sl300-usb-studio-microphone-extras.html)
      > >
      > > Last but not least Rode Podcaster (http://www.editorskeys.com/recording-equipment/sl300-usb-studio-microphone-extras.html)
      > >
      > > The criteria is fairly simple - a decent USB mic. I hope that you can shed some light on this.
      > >
      > > Thank you for your time.

      Thanks for the offer, but I live in a foreign country (and the main language is not English), so it's safe to say that I won't be having guests over anytime soon (at least not sitting right next to me).
      So I won't need an XLR mic. Also, thanks for pointing me to the MXL USB.009, at least from what I found, it sounds great.
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic