40709Re: Newbie/playing other artists content

  • tapeleg
    Sep 2, 2011
      If the question is, will you get sued, the answer is probably not. But if you have to ask, is it worth doing?

      I'm of the firm belief that you should own everything you do. If you want to turn your podcast into something that you can make money - or a living - off of, you should be able to take every element of it and keep it to yourself. You could build something unique using free or cheap licensed loops, and it would be yours and yours alone.

      Also, this doesn't really fall under fair use, and as ambiguous as fair use is, it isn't worth dipping your toes in the water to test it.

      The decision is yours, but if you are asking if it's right, no, it isn't. If it's a big enough deal for anyone to care about is up to you.

      Also, since you are on podomatic, you may want to look at their terms of service. They may explicitly state that you can't use copyrighted materials that you don't have the rights to.

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "NICHOLAS" <nxjaime@...> wrote:

      > Hello all-
      > I am new to the group and to podcasting as well. I have currently been listening to some amateur podcasts and I have noticed that some use other peoples content. For example, most podcasts will start with a music clip by a famous artist. Is this appropriate? I have started to get local bands/artists on board with my podcast to get around this but I would like to review new album releases by larger artist. In short, will I get sued if I play Rage Against The Machine on the show? Thoughts?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Nick jaime
      >
      > Thehavenots.podomatic.com
      > @HaveNotRadio